1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM

AK Mag Well

The only thing I don't like about all three of my AK's are the magazine wells. They suck no matter what receiver or magazine you use. I'd love to find a way to make reloads smooth and quick if there is a way. Has anyone used a Krebs AK with the speed load magazine well? I cant tell how the thing works from the pictures. Can you install them or even get them? I don't know if it's just a piece of metal that helps you guide the mag in or if it's a whole new loading mechanism. Anyone used one or know anything about it or other devices?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Can't say ive heard of the mag helper for an AK.Never had a problem loading mine.I'll have to keep an eye on this thread and maybe i'll learn something new.Are your mags steel or poly?What kind of AK?
AK-47.com or .net may be a place search.

Last edited by freedom lover; 04-10-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 PM

It's polymer Tapco mag and it's a WASR AK. It just doesn't load well at all.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 AM

My saiga's aren't really an AK but there very close. I can cahnge my saiga mags smooth and fast. But with my sks that takes ak mags i suck at it, its me. But with my sks's that take the duckbill mags i'm the quickest with changing out those. I did fit the mags myself to the gun. Go figure. It is practice, practice and more practice in changing out mags too. If your using the good quality mags.

Sometimes the mag has to be fitted to the gun too. (most of the time) I have 6 guns that are exactly the same and on 3 of them the mags won't interchange. Like i said we have to fit the mag to that gun but it may not interchange with another gun. This also leads me to believe a new mag needs to be properly fitted too.

I have fixed every duckbill steel mag to work properly and any large capacity mag to work properly too. The mag body inside dimention can vary making the pusher jam in certain spots like mainly in the middle. You need to sand the pushers width until its free from the top to bottom of the mag so it will work flawlessly.

But the bottomline is the mag has to be properly fitted to the gun too.

Don't rework the gun or the mag well do all the work in fitting it on the mag your using.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, besafe do it right......

Last edited by 1911crazy; 04-11-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Ya,that's what i thought,that particular AK was once a single stack 10 rounder.It was then retooled to fit double stack high cap mags beyond the 5 or 10 round capacity.Therefore,the high cap mags are often sloppy once they click into place inside the mag well.They can rattle when you walk or run.Perhaps even jam.That's why they are cheaper than the SAR-1.
The SAR-1 {Romanian also} does not have that problem,it was born ready for high cap mags.
I'm sure a gunsmith could fix it.It's not the mag,or the "AK's",it's the mag well in the "WASR" types.Go to your gun store and ask them about a gunsmith for your problem.Try your mag in another AK like the SAR -1 or any AK for that matter and you'l likely find that harmony your supposed to have.