1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 03-28-2009, 05:46 PM

45 ammo at gun show

Holy crap- i just got back from the OC (CALIF) gun show- it was a freekin mad house- i did not believe the hysteria about a lack of ammo UNTIL TODAY- my friends it was nuts- it took almost an hour just to get a ticket, then another 15 minutes to get in THEN almost 30 minutes to get the ammo. i usually get re oads- today no reloads- i paid 200 bucks for new .45 ammo- i never paid that much for ammo before. and all the people buying ammo i saw a guy spend over 1500 bucks on .45 and 9mm ammo- i looked on line last night and could not find any ammo there either. this was just crazy boys. is there an end to this?? good luck i'm gonna look into reloading my own any ideas??
Old 03-28-2009, 06:57 PM

hahaha good luck, the reloading supplys are just as hard to find as the ammo ive been trying to "get into" reloading for a month or so things are hard to find and getting more expensive by the day it seems like. seriously good luck though

james
Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Hold my beer & watch this

Here's the best explanation I can find, courtesy of Tam at VFTP:

Quote:
There is a strong undercurrent of WJB-esque populism on both sides of the political spectrum. Today I got to see it surface when somebody blamed the fat cats for the current ammo shortage:

Quote:
I think it's the ammo manufacturers taking advantage of a demand side spike to run up prices when they could just as well pump out twice as much ammo and we could all get ammo at the same price we did last year at this time.
I had to respond:

"No, it's not.

I know it's fashionable in America to blame rich people, big business, fat cats, and whatnot for every misfortune (hey, at least we don't blame Jews anymore; we're making progress,) but this shortage is just a natural result of modern business practices.

See, once upon a time, it was common for American businesses to produce everything they could. Then they would send it to wholesalers, who would in turn sell to retailers who would buy all of it they could afford.

In the days before instantaneous, nearly-free, cross-country communications and three-day coast-to-coast delivery, this made sense.

Then in the '70s and '80s, American manufacturers got their butts kicked by the Japanese, led by Toyota, who had made a religion out of Just-In-Time inventory control. Now everybody uses it.

Federal Ammunition Co. will look at last year's Q1 business and only order enough components to produce what it thinks it can sell this quarter. The wholesalers will only buy based on what they think they can sell, again based on data from previous years. Same with the retailers. A big enough demand surge at the retail end can suck the pipeline dry all the way back to the component end of the process.

If I only sold 10 boxes of .44 Magnum a week at Anytown Firearms, I'd only keep an inventory of 11 or 12 on hand. Those unsold boxes are liabilities, after all; money tied up that's not turning a profit. If somebody comes in and buys all 12 boxes, I'm out 'til next week.

If he does that to every store in the area, and we all need to reorder from the same wholesaler to restock our shelves, we'll probably empty the wholesaler's shelves as well. And the wholesaler doesn't get weekly deliveries, he gets monthly deliveries. Meanwhile, since each dealer in Anytown only got an allocated 4 boxes of .44 Magnum, and word has gotten around at the range that there's a .44 Magnum drought, those four boxes are going to fly off the shelf. Now we're stuck until the wholesaler can get more from the manufacturer. Next month. See?"

Wow, same exact endpoint, with 99% less conspiracy!
Well said....
COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."
Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 AM

Yup i know you are right i believe everything will mellow out in a while-Hey this is America and anything is possible just gotta keep cool
Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM

Lead bullets are not the problem, it is primers. I am glad that I bought some more right after the election, none is in stock that I have found.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM

I was at a gun show today. The sharks were selling primers for 4.00/100 or 40.00/1000. I asked if they were kidding and they said no and gave a bs story about how they were no where to be found. If you look you can find them. I got them WLP at a gun store known for high prices 26/1000. gun show 14 oz clays 49.00 gun store 16.00. If you seek you shall find. I got what I was looking for cast lead 230 grn round nose and 200 lswc for 35.00/500. I have not been to a gun show in years and now I remember why. If I was neutral on the gun issue and went to a show like I was at today I could easily become alarmed. Anti this anti that, the jews are bad, obama is the antichrist, .50 cal ammo everywhere not as problem for me but it makes sheeple nervous. Lots of cammo and missing teeth. and long hair.Jeff Foxworthy would have a years worth of material. BTW this was in Northern IL. I have never heard so much bs since the last political speech I heard from a crat. two real cool things I saw. A guy had a bunch of Lugers not for sale he was only buying, one of them was a cut away. The other was a 8-10 you kid walking with his dad, my son is in Costa Rica with his mom visiting her family for spring break,can't wait till they get back cooking for one sucks.. The kid was anxious about something and the dad got down on one knee and looked the kid in the eye. " Obama has you scared,what these people are saying has you scared, you have a brain use it. Things might get bad then they will get better. If we do not find your gun here we have more stores to look at.We still live in America don't worry."

Len

Last edited by Len S; 03-29-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:52 PM

Old Blue,

You forgot to mention the $5 for parking and the $14 admission fee!

Brassburnz on Calguns
Old 03-29-2009, 04:59 PM

A friend went to the gunshow in this area yesterday. Primers were only being sold by one vendor and at $6.00/100 with no meaningful quantity available. One lead bullet vendor was trying to get $150.00/1000 for 45 ACP LSWC 200 grain. We're continuing to find those on the net for less than half that price delivered. People were running around in sort of a calm panic looking for semi-auto anything, powder, etc.

What I've never seen or heard of before was the presence of the BATF set up at tables near the entrance and officers walking around the show all day. I presume they were looking for straw purchases which might be headed South.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Don't feed the sharks.

Quote:
Here's the best explanation I can find, courtesy of Tam at VFTP:
This guy is so last week. Everyone knows that Twitter blogspot is the current hip and cool place to post ignorant, uninformed opinions.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM

I quit the gun show thing over 2 years ago...prices were always inflated...no real deals..even used magazines for common pistols like smiths were way more money than I could get online and new/used guns can be had cheaper at my local shops than what the table sharks were asking for...haven't had any reason to stand in line for a gun show lately.

course I've got all the guns and ammo I want..now is not the time to be a panic'd comsumer.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 PM

Obviously, the gun industry doesn't have a clue

Most businesses wish they were in a position that people were clamoring for their product, and would be even willing to pay a deposit, or even all of the costs, even extra profits, just to get a product. Unfortunately, the gun industry hasn't a clue. Number one, the do nothing to expand their market, think about that. No major promotion of more ranges, shooting sports, ,supporting firearms ownership, CCW, hunting, etc., and I'm not talking about "a token sponsoring of some shooting event". How the heck can you plan on staying in business by doing nothing, ever, to expand your market?

So, yes, they can't comprehend selling more product, or increasing their market share, as they have never done virtually nothing to increase that market. A intelligent business would be running around the clock, after all they have the facilities, and costs for extra labor would be minor, and the profit is now there, and they could be riding a upward curve, or they can just putz along, as many do now, too busy to answer the phone, faxes, email., just P-off their market, or wait for consumers to find another outlet for their money. Take Sig for example, now including one mag, claiming they don't have enough, well PARA used to include a coupon for mags later on, and Sig could do the same for two mags when they ever get back to work. They could even charge in advance!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Banned

I've never shot a ton, I'd go to the range every other week or so and shoot off 100 rnds of 45 and 100 of .22.. but with the recent shortage I have just stopped shooting. I'll restart when things settle down. I haven't shot my guns in probably 2+ months.. its sad but what can you do.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned

Im gonna buy a Kimber in under 2 weeks again. Now Im thinking how the hell am I gonna properly break that gun in with all these ammo shortages. I need to put atleast 300 rounds through it on the first day I get it but Im also worried about the shortage so am I gonna have to buy 1,000 rounds of 45 and just store it incase theres anarchy? what the hell is really going on
Old 03-30-2009, 11:34 PM

when did they start getting 5 bucks for parking and the entrance fee man that sucked too- the shows used to be fun like when they were at the Pomona Fairgrounds(remember them?) thi was a bad deal- this just wasn't fun couldnt even look at the stuff and it was suffocating to say the least- anyone have any info on any of the other so cal shows?? i'm gonna try Vegas at least there you can hit the buffet at the end of the day hahaha