1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 AM

Federal Ordnance 1911 Question and pics

Any help with info ont this gun would be great. Hard to really find any information on Federal Ordnance. I have attached pics I have been told it may be a ranger model.
Attached Thumbnails
FedOrd lft.jpg   FedOrd rt.JPG   Mag ser#.JPG  
Old 04-19-2009, 03:46 PM

For What It Is Worth

I do not know a lot about the Federal Ordnance 1911 pistol specifically.

I do have some knowledge about the now defunct company of Federal Ordnance and I have owned some of their M-14 rifle clones.

There were a Calfornia company that sold USGI type weapons. They often used USGI military surplus when they could get them. (I think that the magazine in your 1911 is USGI surplus). They would usually make their own firearm receivers and build the rest of the firearm with surplus parts.

They have a mixed reputation on the internet--usually mostly negative. But you do hear some positive feedback. They made 1911, M-1 carbines, M-1 garands, M-14, etc..

I have two of their m-14 clones and I love them. One is make of a Fed Ord receiver and all USGI TRW parts (TRW was one of the 4 manufacturers of the USGI M-14 and many consider their parts and quality control to be the best). This Fed Ord M-14 clone is excellent, reliable, attractive, and very accurate).

I doubt that you Fed Ord 1911 has a great deal of market value--Fed Ord in general does not fetch a high market price.

BUT, if it shoots and works reliably for you, then it is as valuable to you as new $1,500 Kimber would be.

This is just my opinion.

Hope this helps!

Ronnie
Old 04-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Can't help you with any FO info, but the floorplate on you mag is coming apart. If you are going to shoot it, I would buy some new mags for it, because that original mag will cause a lot of feed/jam problems(eventually).

RD
Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 PM

I have one gun I've built up with a Federal Ordnance slide I got in a trade. My slide is cast but very well machined and heat treated. It hasn't given any problems so far with around 6,000 rounds on a Foster frame. I love the cowboy logo on the side. The front profile is slightly different on mine, kind of between a slab side front and a ball/recon cut. The front sight on mine came from the factory with a Millet dual crimp sight. The friend that I got the slide from bought it 20 years ago.
NRA Life Member, Galatians 2:16
Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 AM

floorplate

Motorseven, could you please explain your comment about the floor plate on my mag in my pic. I do see the slight gap, but not on the mag. This seems to be from the factory. I have shot several hundred rounds through this pistol with no problems. In fact it shoots better then some other 45's I have.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:24 AM

From this angle, the front of the floorplate looks like it is separating from the mag body. These are press fit & spot welded & when one of mine started coming apart, it looked just like yours. Hold it vertically & see if the front lip of the floor looks angled own, if it is, it is damaged.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:41 PM

Mag floor plate

Thanks for the info. That made it alot more clear. Is this a common problem with the mags?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 AM

I don't know how common it is, I only have one that is doing that and it is a no name stainless that says, "Patent applied for" on the follower.

RD