1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog452 View Post
Silly me...On post # 45, I 'read' sear rather than slide.

Gotta chance meds.

salty
Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
I was going sear?

LOG
You're not crazy! Post #45 was related to the sear and the action of the lobe of a thumb safety, that's why I posted what I did. It appears DevilDave1911 caught it and edited. Good job, DevilDave1911.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM

I use

Either a Clyinder and Slide with mic's up at max .200 and is made from a forging. The second best I feel is EGW. which also is machined and mic's up to .2000 also.
I trust my life with these and they have been put in all my 1911's.
Vic
Old 02-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Thread stickied. Good information.

Cool! There are quite a few more of equal or even higher educational benefit. Don't want to push my luck, so I'll just start with the following:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=145628

If anything is "sticky quality" it's this one. And, it oughta be in the "How To" forum as well since this is such a critical part to fit absolutely correctly. Also, when moved, the title should probably be changed to "Critical Info Re: Fitting Thumb Safety's & S80 Trigger Jobs" since critical things about the latter are also addressed in the same thread.

Best,
Jon

P.S.: To the pros like the 'wrench, et al. and "pro-staffers" like el log, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO FOR US HERE! You may not have considered this but your participation here doesn't just help us learn more about our favorite passtime; it also helps keep us safe while we do it.

Last edited by BigJon; 02-28-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Slide Stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
P.S. The pics were taken with my new Canon A590IS. Purchased this morning from Staples for $99.95!!!!!
I expect to get better with it over the next few photo sessions.
Congratulations on your Canon! My favorite brand of camera. Now, to slide stops. I encountered a breakage of a Colt slide stop as you describe in your picture. It was 10 degrees out when the break occurred, however, I felt it should not have broken.

The following is what I have posted on another thread, but perhaps you will have some comments on the issue I have been encountering:
Over the years, I have encountered to some degree or less, a problem with the 1911 magazine not pushing up the slide stop to lock the slide open after the last round has been fired. When this happens the magazine follower slips over the slide stop, making the magazine difficult to remove from the gun. I had been told by a gunsmith that I needed extra power magazine springs. I tried them, and that did not fix the problem. I replaced the slide stop, and that did not fix the problem. For some reason which I do not recall, I determined the problem was with the slide stop. I bought two more slide stops, and one of them fixed the problem. Any magazine I use will push up this slide stop to lock open the slide. Now, this slide stop protrudes over the magazine follower about an additional 1/32 inch more than my other slide stops do. I bought this slide stop at a gun show, and do not know where to find another one like it. I would like to buy another 1911 slide stop that protrudes about an additional 1/32 inch more over the magazine follower, than the standard size slide stop. Anyone out there know where I can find it?

I came across a website that explains the problem I have been encountering, better than I explained it. Here it is: http://ezine.m1911.org/metalform.htm
Old 03-09-2009, 03:27 PM

Springfield slide stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBoiled View Post
Thanks for the pics and info Chuck!

Any word on Springfield slide stops?

The ones I have pulled from a few new Springfields seem to look just like the Ed Brown HC one you posted and the same as the EB HC ones I have floating around.
I have the problem of the magazine follower occassionally slipping over the slide stop after the last round is fired with my Springfield.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
Greider also makes a very good slide stop.
+1 on the Greider, sold by Berryhill.

MM
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM

pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolwrench View Post
P.S. The pics were taken with my new Canon A590IS. Purchased this morning from Staples for $99.95!!!!!
I expect to get better with it over the next few photo sessions.
I'm not too good with a computer. How do I send pics ? I use a MAC.
TIA
Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 PM

Problem fixed

I tried the EGW stop and it didn't work. I got an Ed Brown and it didn't work either. I did find that there are different sized lobes on different stops, depending if they are specifically for .45 or for .38/9mm. You can gradually work the proportions of the bigger one down until it works better. This still didn't eliminate my mag problems. I finally ordered a #19-B stop from Fusion. This one worked perfectly. I ran my 5 Wilson mags through my pistol several times and no malfunctions. The problem seems to be fixed. Thanks to pistolwrench and the rest of you guys for some very valuable information.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Banned

Fusion is just a Wilson, Ed brown or STI part in a new bag... so maybe you just got over-sized parts like Wilson and Ed brown say you may have to fit.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 PM

Fusion lists 2 different numbered slide stops. The 19-D has the larger lobe like the EGW and Ed Brown. The 19-B has the smaller lobe like the stop in my Briley Commander pistol. Who ever actually makes them, the 19-B stop seems to have cured my problems and I am a happy shooter for the time being. With a life time warranty and no apparent flaws that I can find, I think I'll keep using them until I find something I like better.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
I tried the EGW stop and it didn't work. I got an Ed Brown and it didn't work either. I did find that there are different sized lobes on different stops, depending if they are specifically for .45 or for .38/9mm. You can gradually work the proportions of the bigger one down until it works better. This still didn't eliminate my mag problems. I finally ordered a #19-B stop from Fusion. This one worked perfectly. I ran my 5 Wilson mags through my pistol several times and no malfunctions. The problem seems to be fixed. Thanks to pistolwrench and the rest of you guys for some very valuable information.
If you were having mag problems, why were you messing with the slide stop to fix it? That is, I could never get the slide to lock on Wilson mags, and found changing to a different brand of mag fixed the problem.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:30 AM

What a great thread! Thanks!!! Now, can we get one about beavertails?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 PM

great info, it's helped me settle on an Ed Brown hardcore slide stop. now, if I can just get my Fuji finepix to take pictures like that...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 AM

What brand is the "major manufacturer" MIM part?

Is that taboo?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpuller View Post
I have a series 70 Colt that had the internal lobe break on the slide stop so I guess I was not the only one!
Happened to me also, right in the middle of a course. POS...
Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
Slide Stop
"For positive, last round engagement and tighter, longer-lasting lockup with custom barrels. Attractive grooves for positive, non-slip application. Made from hardened tool steel for increased wear. Will fit all 1911 pistols High-Capacity types. The HardcoreŽ slide stop is guaranteed for life against breakage."

Taken from the pages of Ed Brown, nothing about bar stock only guarantee.

LOG
So tool steel can be investment cast. I assumed otherwise.

Boy is this stuff interesting!

Last edited by RGL01; 07-16-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Yes tool steel can be cast. The following links to US investment casting sources should d2 s7 and a2 all good tool steels.

http://www.milwaukeeprec.com/ts-castings.htm

The second link is not really tool steel. It is a part they made for us 40 years ago. I still have it made just not by them.

http://www.precisionmetalsmiths.com/capabili.htm
Ed
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM

I have a question,

I had to tweek a slidestop and put some black marker on the grind.
Do i need to do a more thorough rust proofing of this part.
What is the least complicated and least expensive (not cheap) method for touching up un-seen areas.
I don't want to bake gunkote on a 5mm patch if i can spray rustoleum (for example)on it.

Augisimo
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Old 03-11-2010, 02:36 PM

cold blue it for those unseen areas.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM

More pistolwrench on failed slide stops: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=264467
Old 03-12-2010, 06:01 PM

I saw the slidestops, they don't have my issue. mine was a sparepart i bought for my pistol from a competitor, it had a deep shoulder on the bottom, under
the lug, just needed to raise the stop a tad.
I just thought with so many people putting the logman improvised plunger
tickler on their SS, I would think the bare metal needed some covering.
I did see the one broken pin was on a thumb safety, looks like it fell out of a run away toyota.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:31 PM

I just picked up 2 EGW HD Slide stops and one HD Thumb safety. They are supurb! One Wilson 47D would not lock back the slide on another 1911. The 1911's with Geo's stop both lock back the slide with the problematic mag.

Shane
Old 07-19-2010, 11:57 PM

Here is a picture of a Taurus hammer strut (MiM) on the left and a Cylinder and Slide hammer strut next to it. The difference is not so subtle.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM

WOW these pictures are great! where are you guys buying these cameras.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMan View Post
+1 on the Greider, sold by Berryhill.

MM
+1 for Greider, just got one and It is great. The craftsmanship is very impressive.