1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 PM

Lee Pro 1000 Primer feeding problem (Help Plz)

I have been having problems with my primers feeding up onto the ram that pushes then into the case. The primer ram doesn't go down enough for the primer to be pushed up on top of it. I'm using Remington large primers for my .45 ACP. I've also had problems with the primers flipping up on end and getting stuck in the rotating mechanism. Has anyone else experienced this and what can i do to fix it? I only had 20-30 primers in the tray.

It says that you should only use CCI and Winchester primers in the directions so i figured that since I'm using Remingtons it wont feed correctly but i didnt think it would be such a big deal.

Any suggestions on what to do?
This is my pistol.There are many like it but this one is mine.My pistol is my best friend.It is my life.I must master it as I master my life.My pistol, without me, is useless.Without my pistol, I am useless.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 PM

It works well if you keep it full of primers, and keep it clean -- especially look for flakes of powder stuck in the priming mechanism.

Keep more primers in the tray. The weight helps push the column down so the bottom primer will slide onto the pin correctly.

Use powdered graphite, dry teflon lube, or powdered mica to lubricate the black plastic chute.

If the pin isn't dropping down all the way, first look under the carrier to see if anything is keeping the ram and carrier from going all the way down. Look for a spent primer sitting on top of the red housing.

Especially if primers are flipping, look for debris binding the pin. Especially look for flakes of powder that fall down from the powder measure or that fall out of the brass case when you fill it with powder but no primer in the pocket. Use compressed air or something to blow ALL the flecks of powder out of the way. I use a rubber squeeze bulb. 90% of misfed primers are caused by flecks of powder in the mechanism.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:22 AM

Some of my hints: check primer chute carefully for plastic "burrs", carefully sand chute edges with 600 grit wet/dry paper. As mentioned, use a shot of powdered graphite in primer tray. Make sure carrier assembly is tightened ALL THE WAY DOWN ON THE RAM. Raise carrier with handle, loosen allen head screw, jiggle carrier, and make sure it drops all the way on the ram. As mentioned, keep the primer feed area CLEAN, (I use a dust buster to suck up crud). CHECK YOUR INDEX. Every time I change calibers, I re-index the press. Read Lee's instructions, it saves you from tipped primers, lack of feed. etc. One other thing I do is I tape a couple of 3/8" washers to the back of the primer tray to add a little more "shake" when cycling. I go through 100 rounds in a flash with NO primer misfeeds large or small. Be consistent setting the press up, keep a keen eye to detail, and the primer feed works very reliably. I can feed primers down to an inch below the tray with no problems, then slap a pre-filled spare tray in and keep going!

John
Old 02-13-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisH87 View Post
I have been having problems with my primers feeding up onto the ram that pushes then into the case. The primer ram doesn't go down enough for the primer to be pushed up on top of it. I'm using Remington large primers for my .45 ACP. I've also had problems with the primers flipping up on end and getting stuck in the rotating mechanism. Has anyone else experienced this and what can i do to fix it? I only had 20-30 primers in the tray.

It says that you should only use CCI and Winchester primers in the directions so i figured that since I'm using Remingtons it wont feed correctly but i didnt think it would be such a big deal.

Any suggestions on what to do?
I think it's not that the pin isn't down (low) enough, but it's that the primer trough is not high enough.

If you were to remove the shell plate and lift the primer trough off or out of the hole, you would see a spring that I believe is supposed to put upward pressure on the primer trough. This upward pressure keeps the primer trough just a little higher than the pin, so that primers will be pushed off the trough and onto the pin. You need to make sure the trough moves easily up and down inside the hole it sits in. It needs to move easy so the spring can lift the trough above the top of the pin.

Hoping this description is accurate and clear enough to help.

EAL
Old 02-13-2009, 04:42 PM

This thread brings back memories! At one time I had 5 Pro 1000's.

How do you think I got my username?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM

hahah thats funny primersinmyshoe. made me laugh. Well, I've got the problem solved and the press up and running thanks to you guys! there were several problems. First I didn't have enough primers in the tray. Second I had a decaping pin, that i couldnt find, stuck in the ram where the primers fall down cuasing the primers to back up and lock the press up lol. and on top of that i had a few problems with the auto indexing. The press still wasnt priming the cases perfectly. some primers were pushed in sideways, upside down, and crushed. toward the end of using the press i didnt have any problems.

I've found that the Lee powder measure is really freekin accurate. More so than my RCBS powder measure.

Overall I think this press is worth the $140 i payed for it. its fast and accuate. If i primed off the bench i think it would operate flawlessly. At one point while i was taking the press off the bench for a second time and fiddling around with the stupid "Z-Bar" thing, i thought that this press was a Worthless POS, but i changed my mind after i got it setup right.

Thanks again for those that responded.
This is my pistol.There are many like it but this one is mine.My pistol is my best friend.It is my life.I must master it as I master my life.My pistol, without me, is useless.Without my pistol, I am useless.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Love my LP1K. Last count was 125K loaded. Only press I would change for would be a 4 station Lee Pro "2" K. Yup, took some time to work out the idiosyncrasies (Blue people--start your flames ), Also helped AFTER I found that Lee had some set-up videos on their website and realized 2 YEARS later I had some things out of adjustment. Works fine now. Tracy
Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM

No flames Tracy. I got good service out of my Lee Pro 1000's. I think for the money, they are a good bargain.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM

Love my Pro1000. Keep that primer tray loaded full, and keep the primer chute clean, i use Rubbing alcohol every few thousand rounds. Gunk builds up, cleaning is essential. Also keep ram, linkages, and indexing rod lubed with a light machine oil, maybe a light grease on the ram.

Never had any major problems that wernt primer related on mine, But I only load the amount of Primers Im going to load up.