1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 PM

Ruger single action revolvers

I was looking at a couple of single action Ruger revolvers, both stainless - with a 4 5/8 barrel. One in .45 colt and the other in .38/.357/9mm.

any comments on these? I own autos, and double action revolvers, but have no experience with single action revolvers.

Any comments would be welcome.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 AM

I dont know what answer you are looking for but I have 2 blackhawks 45lc and 41 mag and vaqueros in 44-40 .357 44mag the old vaqueros can take hot loads and so can the blackhawks.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:55 AM

I want one of these......

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...10446&return=Y

It's a New Model Blackhawk Convertible in 45LC with the additional 45APC cylinder.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:13 AM

I have a new model Blackhawk in 45LC with the 45acp conversion cylinder. Its a fine revolver and extremely accurate. I only made 2 mods to it; added stag grips and installed a spring kit to lighten that horrible Ruger factory trigger pull.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

In the past I owned a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. Bought it because I wanted to "try out" the 44 mag caliber as a reloader and because the gun was sufficiently "sturdy" to handle max. 44 mag loads. It was. After about 2 years, I "got over" my fascination with 44 mag, and sold the pistol.

Last year I got the itch to try 41 mag, so I bought a New Model Ruger Blackhawk. Not as nice a gun as the older Super Blackhawk, but still "sturdy". Still shooting it with my 41 mag reloads.

Overall, I don't like the Ruger single actions, or any brand single action for that matter. Because:

1. Due to the shape of the backstrap & grip, they don't feel comfortable in my hand and don't handle recoil well.

2. Loading and shucking empties is much more cumbersome than in a swing-out cylinder, DA revolver. You can't use speedloaders to load, and can't chuck all the empties with one push of the ejection rod.

3. Thumb cocking for each shot is tedious, and causes me to have to shift my grip slightly between each shot, even if cocking with the weak hand thumb.

4. Ruger (stock) trigger pulls are not as good as a (stock) S&W trigger pull.

Summary: The Ruger single actions are good for specific uses, but for general revolver use, I prefer a Smith & Wesson double action.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies
This is a link to the .45 that I was looking at.
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=5105&return=Y
Does anyone know if it can handle some of the high pressure loads available, or if it is better suited for "Cowboy Action" loads.

I have to admit that I know very little about single actions, But I am starting to talk myself into one, I just want to get the right one.

Last edited by acoilfld; 01-24-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-24-2009, 03:53 PM

OK, just got off the phone with the dealer. It turns out that it is a New Model Blackhawk KBN44. I was looking at the wrong one. Here is a link to the right one. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...l=459&return=Y
Old 01-24-2009, 04:32 PM

I have 3 Ruger .45 Blackhawks. Mine convert to 45 acp with the supplied extra cylinder. One is 7.5 barrel the other two are 4 5/8". I shoot these pistols more than any others I have. You can load anything from acp target loads to 45 colt bad boys. The grips are designed to just roll up in the hand when fired and recoil even with hotter 45 colt loads is mild. Plus when I am at the indoor range (weekly) I don't have to chase my empties.

Great choice!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are very stout. They stand up very well to hot loads.
Tomcatt
NRA Life Member
Old 01-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Plus when I am at the indoor range (weekly) I don't have to chase my empties.
That would be a nice change revolver-time

Thanks Tommcatt, That is good to know, I was wondering about their strength. Didn't want something that would only shoot "cowboy action" loads.

AC
Old 01-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJ View Post
I want one of these......

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...10446&return=Y

It's a New Model Blackhawk Convertible in 45LC with the additional 45APC cylinder.
Interesting timing on this thread. I had one of those and was regretting getting rid of it. My best friend had put a used Blackhawk .45 Convertible on layaway a few months ago at our favorite haunt. He's had some financial difficulty lately and was running out of time on it. I've given him some different things and some great deals in the past, letting him have things for less than I paid for them just because I knew he would really appreciate them. I was talking to him on the phone as I was about to leave work and said I was going by the gun shop. In the conversation I was saying how I still wanted to get another single action as I didn't have any at the time. I made some remark about maybe I could get that one from him someday at a good price. He said, "Maybe you just can." Then he told me that I could have it if I wanted to pay off the balance!

I told him that I appreciated it, but that if he explained things to the boss at the shop he could probably get his money back without a restocking fee as I'm sure he could use the money. I told him that was just me and I didn't want to take advantage of him. My buddy said he had been thinking about it last night and that I've been pretty good to him a lot of times in the past. This way he could pay me back, would keep his rep at the shop, and a nice, 4 5/8 inch, 45Colt/.45 ACP Blackhawk would still find a home with one us. Still in the family you might say Naturally, if I ever were to sell it, he wanted first dibs. Now I wonder how much he will sell those nice looking, Ruger medallion marked, synthetic stag grips that I originally sold him at a loss, for?

Guess you can figure out, I put it on layaway, adding a few more dollars to the $75 he already had put on it.

To the OP, good choice on a very versatile handgun!

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 01-24-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:29 PM

Thank you for the input AMOS, Looks like I might just have to head down there Monday and take a closer look at it. I will be surprised if I don't find a home for it
Old 01-25-2009, 03:41 AM

I also have one of these Blackhawks in .45 Colt
At first I thought it was a joke because I couldn’t hit anything with it.
I installed the spring kit as mentioned before; it really helps the trigger behave better
The biggest thing is it almost eliminates the coil spring “jump” these Rugers have.
The mainspring in these guns is a coil spring, when you trip the hammer the coil spring “jumps”
as the hammer is released.
Let’s just say it doesn’t do anything to help accuracy in the gun with the gun jumping in your hand when you fire.
Installing the Wolff reduced power spring kit will resolve most of this issue. At least it did in my gun and the kits are not expensive or that difficult to install.

Another inexpensive part to change is the factory base pin
These allow way too much slop in the cylinder.
I installed an oversize base pin; it required very minor fitting and really tightened things up.
On my gun it lets the hand lock the cylinder up much better.

Lastly, if all you ever shoot is standard pressure .45 Colt ammunition at 14, 000 p.s.i.
The factory grips are fine.
If you want to shoot stouter loads with heavy bullets the factory grips may present a problem
Shooting the gun loaded with 300 grain bullets and the cartridge is stuffed full of H110 well you may find you can only handle a few “roles in the hand” before you decide to get something more appropriate for this kind of shooting.
This is where the Hogue Mono-grip comes in, it just works and allows you to shoot the gun as long as you like.
After I made all these changes the gun is now a very nice shooter

My best load to data is a 2” group I shot off hand at 25 yards
Speer 260gr. JHP over 6.3 grains of Titegroup

The guns are well made and just need a little tweaking to get right
Good Luck

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 01-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Thank you - that is some very good info to have.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Run! DOn't Walk from those Ruger Single Actions... It will start innocent enough with a NM 45 Colt Blackhawk.. Before you know it you will be searching out old model guns and adding brass grip frames. SBH triggers, and custom stocks...

Last edited by sdgeorge; 01-25-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 PM

It's not exactly like you should man up and buy the 45 because they are not uncomfortable to shoot at all but unless you have some need for a small caliber, want to save some money or have girley wrists, hell that doesn't even apply then buy the 45.

The 45's are just a joy to shoot, I never read a tombstone that read sent to heavens gate with a 38. All kidding aside the 45 just feels more balanced and that should be all that matters.

38's are for snubbies 45's are for cowboy guns.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:36 PM

Was at a gun show today and they had some old 3-screws around. They had some carry wear, but looked solid. I couldn't buy so I didn't look too close. They were actually a tad cheaper than the NMs. That surprised me.

Dale called it. .45s balance a little better in a single action. Since you have a bigger round, you have bigger hole in the cylinder and barrel. This makes them just enough lighter to feel really good.

While Cowboy Actions loads are running a little slow, in the 750-800 fps range (still .45 ACP range, but with a heavier bullet), don't discount the original black powder load's ballistics. The original load was a 250 grain lead bullet doing about 900 fps. It did a heck of job then and does just as good today. A 255 grain Keith style bullet at 900 fps will cover a wide range of needs and be quite comfortable to shoot. Only if you are going to be using it as a dedicated, heavy hunting gun do you need to hot rod it.

Now if I could have gotten that stag handled Bearcat I saw today. <Heavy Sigh> The darn thing is just so cute. Not to mention easy to keep on you. Of course, it would have looked even better with the brass frame and stag.

SDGEORGE, that sure is a good lookin' Ruger Dragoon (Keith's choice for the name) you got there.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEGRIBBLE View Post
It's not exactly like you should man up and buy the 45 because they are not uncomfortable to shoot at all but unless you have some need for a small caliber, want to save some money or have girley wrists, hell that doesn't even apply then buy the 45.

The 45's are just a joy to shoot, I never read a tombstone that read sent to heavens gate with a 38. All kidding aside the 45 just feels more balanced and that should be all that matters.

38's are for snubbies 45's are for cowboy guns.
I was initially looking at a Taurus Raging Bull in .454 CASULL, but wanted to have a single action. Plus there is a certain amount of nostalgia with the .45 Colt.
After all of the positive comments here about the Ruger's I am going to go down tomorrow and pick it up.
Even though it is new, is there anything that I should check or be on the lookout for other that the fit and finish?
Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 PM

Here is a picture of it. Definitely going to have to replace those grips .
Other than that I am quite happy with it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM

Sweet! Congrats. I think your gonna love it! There are all kinds of things that can be done to them to make them shoot just the way you want. Watch a good western and do a lot of dry fire (be extra careful it isn't loaded, yada, yada, the usual warnings.) That will help some with the action. Nothing like a real trigger job, but does work it in a wee bit. Wolfe springs are always a good thing, but run a few hundred rounds through it first to see what if anything you want to tweak. Plenty of people have enjoyed shooting them just the way they are.

When you get around to changing the grips let me know what you want for them. While they don't look that good on anything, but a stainless New Vaquero (where they make it look like an 1890s, nickeled Colt) they feel good to me. However, the ivory synthetics I had on the one I used to have sure looked good against the bluing. Felt decent too.

See!

Ya know, some of those elk antler grips would look really nice against that stainless steel ya got there.

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 01-27-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: changed elk horn to elk antler for I got called on it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Ya know, some of those elk horn grips would look really nice against that stainless steel ya got there.
You might be on to something there. I am going to look around the web and see what is available.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoilfld View Post
You might be on to something there. I am going to look around the web and see what is available.
Heheh, sure is nice how gun guys are always trying to help the other guy spend his money isn't it? My pard and I are always trying to help each other that way.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:15 PM

I own several SA Ruger's, from a .22 Single Six to a 44 Blackhawk. All top quality and a joy to shoot. I am particulalry fond of the Bisley grip as aliber size increases.

Try a Super Blackhawk stuffed with Garrett Hammerheads and you will be hooked!
Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM

The Ruger NM Blackhawks will handle the hot .45 Colt loads. Most reloading manuals have two sets of .45 Colt data: one for SA Colts, and one for guns like Rugers, and TC's.

I owned two in .45 Colt. They handle anything, and both had new return springs installed. The 4 5/8 is a vey handy gun, and the 7.5" model was a great gun also.

Mine ate up Hornady 300gr HP's, and were very accurate.

The 4 5/8" had the extra .45ACP cylinder. However, accuracy was just so-so. I only used it when I wanted to plink.

Best,
Dennis