1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 12-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Magazine review: Novak Mags

Ok, everyone speaks highly of the Wilson Mags. I recently was introduced to the Novak Mags. The guy was saying Wilson uses plastic followers and Novaks are stainless steel. The magazine looked VERY WELL made and strong as well. Most importantly, it was about 15 bucks cheeeeeeeper. Does/has anyone use(d) Novak mags? Give me a review...... I haven't taken delivery yet, but I laid down the cash on a Springfield Lightweight Operator on the first of this month.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Yep, I have used them and like them. Took me a while to warm up to the look of the base pads always like flush mags, but have since moved away from that.

Great springs and followers. Won't damage alloy feed ramps.
True 8rd mag from ground up. Operate flawlessly for me in all my 1911s even the shorter ones.

I did have some issues with early mags cracking at the rear by the feed lips and e-mailed Mr. Novak with pics of the problem and asked about replacement.
I to my surprise was called personally by him to discuss the matter, and was told send them in for replacement and I would get an extra mag to cover my shipping and aggravation. I said that I already pirated the springs and followers and put then in some GI mags that were iffy and now flawless 7rd mags. Was sent all new +1 anyway.
Thumbs up for company backing.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the review. I didn't think about the alloy frame aspect. I will put Novak at the top of the list.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Where do you buy your Novak mags?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 PM

I haven't gotten any yet, but I got a card at the gun show in Austin on Sunday.

www.BigStateDist.com

they are out of Carrollton...a suburb of Dallas. he seemed pretty good. The Novaks were $22 ea.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:01 PM

These same magazines are sold under a number of different brand names. They're made by Act-Mag. They also come with SW 1911's and are sold as Nighthawk magazines. They're decent magazines, but there have been a lot of reports of the feed lips cracking.

Last edited by cedjunior; 12-24-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:44 PM

caspian also uses and sells the ACT mags, ive found them to be quite functional and fine

"A tyrant is always stirring up some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader." - Plato
Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 AM

You'll have problems if you leave them loaded 24/7 with feed lip spread and cracking. The tubes are the Achilles Tendon of these Mags. They're just not as "robust" as they should be like the Tripp GENII Cobra Mags.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Novak Mags

Interesting that you mention they come with S&W 1911's. My first came with Wilson Combat but my PC had flush mount mags in the box. They were exchanged for the Wilson Combat free of charge w/o me asking. The dealer said the Wilson's worked better with that gun. That was fine with me as I'm not fond of flush mount mags.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massman View Post
Interesting that you mention they come with S&W 1911's. My first came with Wilson Combat but my PC had flush mount mags in the box. They were exchanged for the Wilson Combat free of charge w/o me asking. The dealer said the Wilson's worked better with that gun. That was fine with me as I'm not fond of flush mount mags.
When S&W first started making 1911's and their parts list wasn't standardized yet, they did include Wilson magazines. Afterward they got their own mag (the S&W branded ACT Mags).
Old 01-10-2009, 11:44 PM
1911 Aficionado

I bought two, about two years ago, and one tube cracked after about a year of use. A friend bought six, on my recommendation, and all six cracked within a hundred rounds of use. That was about a year ago. I like the design, but the execution is definitely weak, unless they have truly been fixed. I won't spend any more money in trying to find out.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:09 AM

My Act-Mags (some Novak, some Act-Mags, same thing) worked just fine until I had to drop them on a concrete floor (PPC competition), now the base plate on two of them is broken. I'm looking to replace them with something more durable.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
When S&W first started making 1911's and their parts list wasn't standardized yet, they did include Wilson magazines. Afterward they got their own mag (the S&W branded ACT Mags).

i guess S&W switched over to ACT to increase their profit margin....cheap bastards.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:48 PM

How could the springs/follower affect alloy feed ramps????????????????they never touch it!!!! Am I missing something after 40+ years of shooting 1911s???

outa here

markwell
Old 01-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwell View Post
How could the springs/follower affect alloy feed ramps????????????????they never touch it!!!! Am I missing something after 40+ years of shooting 1911s???

outa here

markwell

some metal followers have the tendancy to tilt forward dinging the softer alloy ramps(or even steel ramp) as the last round is being chambered....been there done that.
i use skirted metal followers(Kimber)or Wilson polymer followers exclusively today.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
i guess S&W switched over to ACT to increase their profit margin....cheap bastards.
Nah, I think they just wanted their name on the mags. Wilson sure isn't going to put any name other than Wilson on their magazines.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedjunior View Post
Nah, I think they just wanted their name on the mags. Wilson sure isn't going to put any name other than Wilson on their magazines.

what's in a name w/o reliable function?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
what's in a name w/o reliable function?

um, that would be SMith and Wesson...

duh....
Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 PM

Although I now use mostly Wilson mags I never had any ramp dammage that I know of (or related feed problems) from Colt, Devel or or GI followers on any of my 1911s. These followers are all unskirted. In the early IPSC days satin nickle Colt mags seemed to be the mag of choice if you could get them. What gives?? My Nastoff gun, built in the early '80s, my Bud Price guns, and my old Novak gun have probably collectively run in excess of 200,000 rounds with the above mags. Then again, all my Govt. models (steel and alloy) except two, are built on old Colts.

outa here

markwell
Old 01-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Does MecGar make the mags for ActMag or does ActMag make them for MecGar.

I believe the MecGars are made in Italy and the Novaks are made by MecGar. At least they look alike.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 PM

I run ACT mags exclusively. All of mine came from Novak at the NRA show last year. They have the Novak roll-mark, but if you look closely, there is an ACT maker's mark.

I bought about $300 worth of these mags and have had 4-5 of them in constant rotation since. No problems and always loaded up.

I did hear some people talking about some feed-lip problems with them in the past, but my understanding is that ACT addressed that issue sometime ago.

Three things about Novak/ACT mags:

1. Since it says Novak on it, Novak will warranty the mag. No questions asked. That is what they told me at the show. Never had a problem.

2. I like the "Novak" roll-mark on mine since it help's separate them from others at gun-school. That and the "Greyson #" dremeled on the sides!

3. I had a case of ammo that wouldn't feed through my 1911s. I won't say the maker, but there was a crimp issue with the whole case. Nothing I did mag wise or extractor wise made a difference. Just sat the case aside and forgot about it. When I switched to ACT mags, that ammo ran like a scolded dog.

I am pretty tough on my mags. I haven't had any problems and as long as I don't, I will continue to recommend ACT mags.

Regards,
Greyson

P.S. I have one ACT mag that is nickel plated. THAT mag is slicker than snot when dropped out of a pistol.

Last edited by Greyson; 01-13-2009 at 09:53 PM.