1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 AM

Metro Arms?

Anyone heard of Metro Arms manufactured 1911's? Saw one on Auctionarms today, and it reminds me of the Phillipine made Charles Daly/Armscor "loaded" models. Cheap enough at $450 make an offer to be of interest.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:08 PM

Oops I double posted, my bad

Last edited by Lunatic; 12-18-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Metro Arms are made in the Philippines. I think you are right they made 1911's style pistols for Charles Daily, also they made them for High Standard, I know I got one.

I would not pay more than $450 for it though because some gun shops sell them for less. You just have to look around.

For the money it is a good bang for the buck.

Able's Ammo has the High Standard for $430. They are just out stock at the moment though
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/defa...35_13105_16905
Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 PM

MetroArms are made in the Philipines, but they make the American Classic and Firestorm 1911s. Armscor made the (previous) Charles Dalys, Rock Island, and High Standard 1911s. Two different companies.

Do a search for American Classic or Firestorm here in the "Other 1911's" forum and you will generally here favorable comments about MetroArms products. I am seriously considering the purchase of an American Classic II right now from my local gunshop Price on the one I'm looking at is $385, new in the box.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 PM

Truth be known, I almost have enough 1911 pistols to keep me happy. Almost. Hadn't run across these before. Many thanks to all for the replies and helpful info.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:35 PM

got one

I just got an amarican classic 2. So far only 30 or so rounds put through it (due to lack of ammo and time to reload). great finish smooth slide, couldnt be happyer with it.Gold Cup trigger, Chip McCormick-style hammer and a beavertail grip safety with a raised panel. It's got some pricey features along with a pretty nice finish. got mine for $380. and yes it has an idiot scratch on it but is still nice
Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 PM

American Classic at my house One of first in country. It has been perfect over 500 rounds. Eats every brand I have tried At present time I carry the Corbon 200 grJHP +P Several members at my Board ( bersatalk.com ) have bought them and all have had the same results. A great pistol for the money.
This company sells their 1911 as American ClassicII and under the Firestorm name. If you find a Firestorm please make sure a MetroArms and not a old Firestorm made by Llama. (still a few out their)
Firestorm is a name. Pistols are made by both Bersa and now Metroarms for that rollmark. Bersa makes all the DA/SA and MetroArms the 1911's People get this confused also. Bersa has nothing to do with Metroarms and Bersa makes no 1911 type pistols

Last edited by michael t; 12-18-2008 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:05 AM

What a coincidence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron_molt View Post
Gold Cup trigger, Chip McCormick-style hammer and a beavertail grip safety with a raised panel. It's got some pricey features along with a pretty nice finish. got mine for $380.
Just this afternoon while on my drive to work, I stopped at the local gun store. It is a great 2 man store, reasonable and sometimes negotiatable. I bought another stainless 8 round Meggars magazine (they function great, and you can never have enough mags). I was in a hurry, but quickly checked out the American Classic 1911 model. Never saw one at this store prior to today. My guy told me one of his suppliers talked him into stocking a few of them recently. This place sells/orders anything and everything you want, Colt,Springfield,Kimber,etc. He said that everyone who has checked out and bought these American Classics made by Metro Arms has been very impressed by what it is for the price, marked at $425. He sold 11 of them in less than 2 weeks. They started out with only a couple, and everyone is ordering them now. (Panic 1911 purchase maybe?) To add to what is in the quote above by Cameron, it also has Novak sites and nicely finished checkered grips. I might stop in again on Sat. morning when I have more time to fondle it. FWIW, while fondling it ,there was a couple older fellow members of my gun club there waiting to handle that particular gun. They told me about some other fellow club members who bought one "just for the hell of it, add to the 1911 collection, it's cheap enough to try it out" type of guys. DO NOT HOLD ME TO THIS STATEMENT!: But just to repeat what I was told, they said the frame is made by the same company that manufacturers the frames for Springfield, can't verify that. Also, one of them said that a guy at the club bought one and completely disassembled it side by side to a Colt and all the parts interchanged like a clone, and something about Ed Brown that I don't remember. Again, I can't verify that statement either, but these guys don't work there and are fellow club members,why would they B.S. me, especially since I was one of the top fundraiser ticket sellers last month. It already has everything I want to change on my RIA full size GI model, the sights are the biggest factor for me at my age, it sux to get old before you will admit it. I am seriously considering bringing one home before January 20 if these holidays don't bury me financially. Hey President "O"! I want some of that bail-out $$$!
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."=Ben Franklin= "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."=Thomas Jefferson"=
Old 12-20-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx1911fan View Post
Truth be known, I almost have enough 1911 pistols to keep me happy. Almost. Hadn't run across these before. Many thanks to all for the replies and helpful info.
I believe you really I do. In fact the tooth fairy, easter bunny and I were discussing your quantity of 1911s the other day. They said you only need two more to make you happy and content.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
they said the frame is made by the same company that manufacturers the frames for Springfield, can't verify that. Also, one of them said that a guy at the club bought one and completely disassembled it side by side to a Colt and all the parts interchanged like a clone
The frame part I don't belive so I was told entire pistol made in Phillipines . This is a new factory . and I was informed all in house made.
Now as for the Colt parts. Yes I have interchanged a few myself to check it out. It is suppose to be 1911 compatable and appears that way. .
Mine has a serial number in the 70's One of the first made and imported . I recived mine from the American Importer direct not thru normal distribution channels In fact the newer one have a couple minor improvements over mine
On the deluxe the extanded slide release is kept close to the frame. if you change grips might need to slighty mod. to allow the slide release to work. Took a couple min. with a piece of sand paper to fit my new grips. I like this as doesn't interfer with my holster Like some of thes larger slide releases do. do.

Once again I refer you all to the http://gunblast.com test I belive was oct. of the firestorm 1911. This is the same pistol different rollmark.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM

Can anyone verify whether these have cast or forged slides and frames?

Last edited by Mark Phelps; 12-22-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t View Post
The frame part I don't belive so I was told entire pistol made in Phillipines . This is a new factory . and I was informed all in house made.
Now as for the Colt parts. Yes I have interchanged a few myself to check it out. It is suppose to be 1911 compatable and appears that way. .
Mine has a serial number in the 70's One of the first made and imported . I recived mine from the American Importer direct not thru normal distribution channels In fact the newer one have a couple minor improvements over mine
On the deluxe the extanded slide release is kept close to the frame. if you change grips might need to slighty mod. to allow the slide release to work. Took a couple min. with a piece of sand paper to fit my new grips. I like this as doesn't interfer with my holster Like some of thes larger slide releases do. do.

Once again I refer you all to the http://gunblast.com test I belive was oct. of the firestorm 1911. This is the same pistol different rollmark.
AFAIK the entire Springfield 1911 line is made in Brazil. Will somebody knowledgeable please confirm or correct my impression?
Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 PM

Metro Arms at one Time Bought Frames from "Imbel" a Brazilian Co. who makes 1911 frames and slides for Springfield Armory, now they did build a new factory in the Phillipines..and I believe that the frames are CNC and NOT Investment Cast like Armscor...if anyone knows more about Metro Arms..please post..they are constantly growing and changing,,:.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 PM

The frames and slide on these guns are made by S.A.M or Shooters Arms Manufacturing in the Philippines. They are a arms maker like Armscor but IMO make products with a higher quality control.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:33 AM

MetroArms manufactures all their own parts. SAM does not make any parts for them, ATI is the US distributor for SAM's Titan.

I have an American Classic 1911 Government Model. Over 1000 rounds and it shoots anything I load in it, uses any magazine I have and has been 100% reliable and accurate. I don't know if I could find a better gun, just a more expensive one.

[IMG][/IMG]

"I Miss America"
Old 08-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Armscor (RIA, High Standard, Daly), MetroArms (American Classic), and SAM (ATI), are all separate companies out of the Philippines. Not sure why folks cross these lines up so often.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:25 PM

http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/
http://metroarms.net/
http://www.armscor.com.ph/

Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM

Now..That we know these diffrent Philipino gun companies, does anyone know if their frames are FORGED? or CAST..They are a bit more exp. than the other philipino 1911 makers...and better made..

Last edited by PVP66; 09-03-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: none
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 PM

Frame is cast. Slide is forged. Both are 4140 steel.

I'm stuck on American Classics 1911s. I can't say enough great things with the ones I have.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 AM

Dirty has it right
Own a ACII myself glad I bought it
Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 AM

CRP,

It's my understanding that Springfield Armory frames and slides are indeed made in Brazil by Imbel. Some of their line is finished in Brazil and some of their line is finished in the USA.

The USA finished pistols are identified by NM at the beginning of the serial number.

Reports are showing that the Brazilian finished pistols are showing more attention to detail than their US finished counterparts.

All of the above I have gleaned from the internet. I haven't fired a Springfield Armory pistol but I have glanced at them in the showroom cases at gun stores...
Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 PM

I have a American Classic II. I have had it most of the summer and shoot it alot.
I am very pleased with it. You get a lot of stuff in the ACII standard that other guys customize there guns.
Things like Beavetail grip saftey with speed bump, front and rear slide serations, lowered and flared ejection port, extended slide safety and slide release and perferated trigger.
The only thing I didn't care for were the grip panels which were a light colored hardwood. I refinished them to a darker walnut color and like them a lot better now.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 PM

I got my american claasic commander back in April. I have put 300 rounds thru it so far and haven't had any problems at all. My first 1911 and I love it carry it all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
480.jpg  

Johnny