1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 PM

Screwdriver size for Colt 1911 Grip Screws

I am looking to find out what size of screwdriver blade/head for Colt grip screws. Thanks.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 12-09-2008, 09:20 PM

There really is no standard size. They have changed numerous times over the years. Either get a set of various thickness screw drivers or bits and maybe you'll get lucky. Seriously, pro smiths have drawers full of bits or drivers and will file or grind one to perfectly match the slot width and thickness. (I know I do) The two sides of the blade need to be parallel to each other and reach to the bottom of the slot. By applying torque at the bottom there is much less chance of the blade slipping out or boogering the slot. I realize you're asking about grip screws which are not torqued tightly but the screws will hold up and look better for a long time if you fit a blade to them. (And don't tighten grip screws really tight. Just snug) A screwdriver with tapered sides will be cammed up and out of the slot. This is why you see so many guns with chewed up screws.