1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 09:05 PM

best compact 1911 for the money? (carry gun)

Hey guys, I have lurked here for a while, and have only registered here recently. I have mostly carried Glocks due to their toughness and lack of maintenance, specifically a model 36, .45ACP. It has never had a malfunction, but has never been as accurate as I would like, grouping around 4” at 25 yards. probably not helped by the idiotic NY style, 8lbs trigger. Either way, I have decided to purchase a smaller 1911 variant. I have carried a Colt Combat Commander on occasion in the past, and I’m very comfortable with it. But it has sentemental value (was my Dad's first handgun, and he gave it to me as my first handgun) and I don't want to carry it daily and ruin its nickel finish.

I am very interested in the Sig 1911RCS, but I’m open to anything. I would like to have stainless (will be carried in the summer in Florida, and I sweat) and I want to keep the price reasonable, I can’t afford a custom Wilson as my carry gun…. Yet

Thanks for any help guys! I would like to spend my money as wisely as possible

Last edited by CobraChris; 12-08-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 PM

Watch for an original series Kimber Stainless Compact. Great combination of 4" bull barrel and compact frame, all stainless. I still see them in the area of $650.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 PM

Could not imagine anything better than my Sig C3.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Finding the best price for a good compact 1911 may be a rather difficult task. I believe the most promising results will come from searching for a pre-owned 1911. If I were going compact, I think it would be the SA 3.5" Ultra Compact for a money saver and the SA EMP if I was being a little more liberal with my funds.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:58 PM

I saw an RIA "Compact" that is an Officer's frame with a
3.5" Bbl. - beavertail grip safety, Commander style hammer,
GI sights, and a good trigger not that long fwiw $379.50

Hard to beat that price

Randall
Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 PM

Thanks guys! I have only been looking at new guns, but I'm open to anything. I def. want to keep it under 4 figures. My father had a FFL up until about 4 years ago (when he sold his store), and has applied for another here in Florida, so soon I will have the ability to purchase wholesale. And that is why I have been looking primarily at new guns.

There are lots of manufacturers of these guns that I have no experience with. Springfield is one of them. Are they pretty good? The only Springfield I have ever handled was a XD, and it seemed questionable in quality. I'm guessing thier 1911's are a little different, especialy looking at the price differential. I hope you guys bare with me with my retarded questions, I want quality, and the only 1911's I have first hand experience with are Colt's and Para Ord.

Last edited by CobraChris; 12-08-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Who is RIA? I've actualy never heard of them.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:16 PM

My favorites...

Colt New Agent
ParaOrd C6.45LDA
ParaOrd Warthog
and all time favorite:
my 1970 Colt Combat Commander.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraChris View Post
Rock Island Armory by a Philippine company Armscor. Never owned one; reputed to be a modestly decent mfg.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4uscgret View Post
my 1970 Colt Combat Commander.
Like this one?

This is the gun I was talking about in my first post, bought by my Dad, around 1972. One of my favorites too. Finish is too fragile though. I felt like I needed to tear it down and clean it every time I carried it. Probably a little OCD on my behalf, but whatever
Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Rock Island Armory. Owned by Armscor and made in the Phillipines( at least the 1911's)

NRA Life Member
Colt Series 80 Government
Sig GSR Compact Stainless
Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 PM

Did you think of replacing the trigger mechanism in your Glock 36 with something lighter? Maybe even the barrel also to tighten up groups. I did this with a 19 and it is considerably better than stock. I bought the trigger group from Glockmeister and the barrel from Storm Lake. This would allow you to save up for the pistol you really want from Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc. and still have a suitable carry pistol for now. I speak from experience - If you don't get what you really want you are not going to be happy and are still going to be looking to upgrade - not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 PM

for a 3 incher 1911 it has to be a colt defender.you got a cheerished colt handed down to you, so why not start your own tradition to your off spring?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffield View Post
Rock Island Armory by a Philippine company Armscor. Never owned one; reputed to be a modestly decent mfg.
Ahh. Now I know I had Never heard of them untill today.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkos59 View Post
Did you think of replacing the trigger mechanism in your Glock 36 with something lighter? Maybe even the barrel also to tighten up groups. I did this with a 19 and it is considerably better than stock. I bought the trigger group from Glockmeister and the barrel from Storm Lake. This would allow you to save up for the pistol you really want from Wilson, Brown, Baer, etc. and still have a suitable carry pistol for now. I speak from experience - If you don't get what you really want you are not going to be happy and are still going to be looking to upgrade - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yes, I considered replacing the trigger components, I just haven't done it. I have adjusted it, and it breaks cleanly now, whereas before it had a real stiff spot right before it fired, but it will never be a single action trigger. Which is why I want to move on. I actualy looked for barrels, but the only one's I found were factory Glock replacements. And if I'm buying a barrel, I don't want the same quality I allready own . The 36 will still be used for the dirty work, which it is more than capable.

And if I had money to burn, I would carry a Wilson or Baer, but if I have to save to buy such a firearm, chances are I will not be able to talk myself into strapping it to my back on a daily basis. The first time it got scratched I would be pissed.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Ohh, another preferance. I love my .45ACP. I just noticed the Springfield EMP is 9mm and .40S&W only. Otherwise, looks like a nice gun!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 AM

i had a colt defender that after i fixed a few problems with it ( was a used gun) ran like a champ.

i currently carry a RIA compact off duty ( true officers size) and i paid 349 for it and i cant seem to make the thing jam!

i would never compare the RIA to the higher end pistols, but its def a good defense gun, has gone bang everytime and very much combat accurate.

my two cents

russel
SDMF
Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 AM

Just counting some of the major manufacturers, you can get Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Para, Sig or S&W 1911's in that price range. The best manufacturer depends on who you ask. You'll probably want to handle them to get a feel for what you like the best.

If you're looking for the officer frame with the 4-4.25 slide, then I think only Kimber, Sig and Para offer that from the manufacturers I've listed.

Last edited by GovCheese; 12-09-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 AM

The Colt CCO combo of the Commander length slide/barrel
(4 1/4" ) on the Officer's size frame - add the
STI Stinger and I believe WIlson COmbat has a model
as well.

RIA is a USA company that imports their models of the
1911 built by ARMSCORPS in the PHillipines. It has a cast
frame, forged slide, built on modern computer controlled
machining etc. Customer service has good feedback on
by ontributors to the 1911Forum - it's Advanced Tactical
in Nevada. One of the CUst. Service Reps frequents the
"Other 1911s' area of the 1911Forum board. He's honest in
saying it's a good product but built to a price point. ALso said
they have improved as the line has become more popular

Randall
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 AM

Welcome CobraChris,

The compact version of the 1911 is IMO the best option out there for concealed carry. The best of both worlds- a 4.25" barrel and an officers length grip.

I would go with either a Sig GSR or a Kimber. I prefer the Sig just a tad more due to a small degree better of fit, finish and lower cost.

What ever you go with, make sure you get all the options you want so you are not spending more cash down the road.

Here is my daily carry: A Sig GSR Compact with some modifications...

Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 AM

found a high standard compact with beavertail safety, dovetail sights for $440
Old 12-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16DCC View Post
Welcome CobraChris,

The compact version of the 1911 is IMO the best option out there for concealed carry. The best of both worlds- a 4.25" barrel and an officers length grip.

I would go with either a Sig GSR or a Kimber. I prefer the Sig just a tad more due to a small degree better of fit, finish and lower cost.

What ever you go with, make sure you get all the options you want so you are not spending more cash down the road.

Here is my daily carry: A Sig GSR Compact with some modifications...

Thanks! I have been leaning towards the Sig. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a company out there producing an equal quality pistol, comparably equiped, for half the price. I have been around firearms all my life, but it seems like there are hundreds of manufacturers of 1911 style guns. As for Sig's, I own a fullsize 220, as well as a 226 and both shoot exceptionaly. I would go with a Colt, but for the price, the Sig probably has better quality, and comes with all the bells and whistles. I was also looking at the Smith&Wesson 1911PD, but I think I prefer the Sig over it, not to mention it comes in a nitron coated stainless, that will be a little more rust resistant. I think after doing a little more research, I can narrow it down to two sigs, either the RCS Nitron, or the Carry Nitron.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCaboCat View Post
Could not imagine anything better than my Sig C3.
That is the gun I recommend. But I carry the All stainless steel Nitron coated Compact. Best gun ( for it's purpose) I have ever owned.
It's a weapon people, not just a shiny gadget to drool over and treat like a Ming Vase. Shoot more, do preventive maintenance, fix when broken parts eventually do happen, and shoot more. Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Springfield is one of them. Are they pretty good? The only Springfield I have ever handled was a XD, and it seemed questionable in quality. I'm guessing thier 1911's are a little different, especialy looking at the price differential.
'Questionable quality' how so? The XD line has earned a well deserved reputation built on reliability and ruggedness. Just compare the slide rails to a Glock. Huge difference.

Anyway back on topic. I would look long and hard at the Dan Wesson CBOB. That is at the top of my list for a CCW 1911. DW has a very high quality to $$ ratio. No MIM parts (read Ed Brown, EGW etc), SS, Night sights, Match barrel, and great customer service. I don't have one yet but I will soon enough. Lots of positive info in the DW forum. Here's a link to a review of it.

http://www.gunblast.com/DanWesson-CommanderClassic.htm
Old 12-09-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsans View Post
'Questionable quality' how so? The XD line has earned a well deserved reputation built on reliability and ruggedness. Just compare the slide rails to a Glock. Huge difference.

This was back a while, as in when they were fairly new on the market. We had 2 at our store, and there were seam lines in the plastic, and the fit & finish was no where near a Glock. They may have improved, or those could have been produced before they perfected it. No offense, as I said, my experience with them was limited.

Thanks for the link to the review! Another one to look at