1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 12-05-2008, 02:57 PM

Current production combat ready 1911

Of current production 1911s, out of the box; which would you choose for combat readiness?...... robust reliability.....combat accuracy...field maintainence KISS
Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

depends on how much you want to spend

What are you looking for? Something that is plain jane and simple or something that is "tricked" out (ie night sights, magwell, compensator etc etc)
Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Akeezy04 is right you need to give some parameters. Off the bat I would say Springfield TRP (dump the FLGR) or Dan Wesson Valor. Both of which are in the $1200 range.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 PM

You can find an STI lawman for around 1200.. Mucho excellent firearm
Old 12-05-2008, 06:26 PM

For mid-level production 1911s, I think Springfield, Colt, SW, and Dan Wesson would fill the bill. Kimbers are notorious for needing a break-in period. My Sig 1911 also needed a short break-in (100 rounds).
Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 PM

After seeing how my Valor has handled out of the box and how well i shoot with it I would the Valor wins in my book.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 PM

If "combat ready" means conventional warfare against enemies like we have/had in Korea/VN/Irag/Afghanistan, with all of the environmental issues, then a 1911 like the SA Mil-Spec or its compeititive equivalents would be the ticket.

If "combat ready" means SWAT/Hostage Rescue/LEO daily carry, then tighter, more accurate weapons like the TRP and its competitive equivalents would better fit the bill. I believe these weapons wouldn't prove very reliable in a classic warfare/combat environment.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 PM

Springfield Mil-Spec.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsan View Post
If "combat ready" means conventional warfare against enemies like we have/had in Korea/VN/Irag/Afghanistan...(snip)...If "combat ready" means SWAT/Hostage Rescue/LEO daily carry, then tighter, more accurate weapons like the TRP....
I've never understood the difference between a "military" pistol fight and an LEO or "private sector" pistol fight. Seems like the common thread is someone (or someones) is/are trying to kill us. It seems clear that stopping them, decisively and quickly, is the basic need. I'm not sure why the equipment should differ.

The TRP or various equivalent 1911 pistols will likely be more reliable in a hard-use environment than a shot-out rattletrap 1911.

Rosco
Old 12-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
I've never understood the difference between a "military" pistol fight and an LEO or "private sector" pistol fight. Seems like the common thread is someone (or someones) is/are trying to kill us. It seems clear that stopping them, decisively and quickly, is the basic need. I'm not sure why the equipment should differ.

The TRP or various equivalent 1911 pistols will likely be more reliable in a hard-use environment than a shot-out rattletrap 1911.

Rosco
From one respect you are right. The goal is to prevent them from killing you regardless of whether it is Military, LEO or CCW.

On the other hand, Military does differ from LEO and CCW in one BIG way. That big way is the environment. Rarely will LEO or CCW be living and crawling around all day in mud, sand, dust, etc… for days on end AND have to clean, service and maintain their weapons in that same environment. The Military, whether he be a Soldier, Marine, Airman or Sailor, will have to do this when in combat.

I don’t know that I agree with the philosophy, but many believe that in order to be combat reliable, under those conditions, the weapon must be loose enough for the built-up grit and crud to have little or no effect on the weapons operation.

I have seen some pretty well fitted pistols work just fine after having been subjected to some pretty nasty stuff. Especially those that have a finish offering natural lubricity.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:56 PM

Ed Brown Special Forces
Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 PM

The question included "field maintenance" to me that means military combat ready. I do not think a LEO will field strip the weapon for cleaning.

I would get a RIA, why? it is cheap, it is accurate, reliable, it is not as tight as others. You all know that at some point during combat you are going to drop your gun at least once, so do you want to carry a $1,500 or more gun to the battle field?

Last edited by Lunatic; 12-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
Ed Brown Special Forces

I vote for this one. But the OP is trying to define what is best by putting military in his question.

All he is going to get is individual subjective opinions.

The reality is, most 1911s made today are very well made. The only difference is features and materials.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 12-06-2008, 05:22 AM

so utterly disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I.....

The reality is, most 1911s made today are very well made. The only difference is features and materials.

Better might be "...many 1911s made today are very well made, but some are still stinkers, and certain brands are still a crap-shoot between getting a good one or a stinker".

There are significantly more differences than simply the "features and materials".
There is "quality of assembly", and IME this is where most lesser-quality (often but not always corresponding to price) models actually fail.

"Features, materials, and quality of assembly" make the difference.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcotariu View Post
From one respect you are right. The goal is to prevent them from killing you regardless of whether it is Military, LEO or CCW.

On the other hand, Military does differ from LEO and CCW in one BIG way. That big way is the environment. Rarely will LEO or CCW be living and crawling around all day in mud, sand, dust, etc… for days on end AND have to clean, service and maintain their weapons in that same environment. The Military, whether he be a Soldier, Marine, Airman or Sailor, will have to do this when in combat.

I don’t know that I agree with the philosophy, but many believe that in order to be combat reliable, under those conditions, the weapon must be loose enough for the built-up grit and crud to have little or no effect on the weapons operation.

I have seen some pretty well fitted pistols work just fine after having been subjected to some pretty nasty stuff. Especially those that have a finish offering natural lubricity.

+1 I would have to say that conditions in a war zone differ greatly than conditions in the concrete jungle.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 AM

I don't understand why my Colt series 70 reproduction isn't combat ready.
In 2008 everyone seems to think a 1911 MUST have a beavertail, FLGR, extended safety and a set of Novaks or you your'e not "worthy" to engage in a gunfight.
I will admit SOME need a beavertail safety to prevent being bitten but PLEASE don't think you need all the do-dads just to have a pistol to save your @$$.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45caldan View Post
I don't understand why my Colt series 70 reproduction isn't combat ready.
In 2008 everyone seems to think a 1911 MUST have a beavertail, FLGR, extended safety and a set of Novaks or you your'e not "worthy" to engage in a gunfight.
I will admit SOME need a beavertail safety to prevent being bitten but PLEASE don't think you need all the do-dads just to have a pistol to save your @$$.
A very good point.For some,it is the only set up they have used since shooting 1911's.For others,it can be "being in fashion",or,"Larry Vickers sets up his 45's like that".
The bottom line is,if it works for you,go for it.There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good functioning base 1911.That is the pistol I trained on in both the National Guard and the Army.Those pistols were well used when I got there and still I never had a malf due to the firearm.Mags are a different story.
DAT85
Old 12-06-2008, 08:42 AM

Didnt we all buy our 1911s with the notion of them being Combat reade? Urbin combat? I didnt buy mine to only put holes in paper...
Old 12-06-2008, 10:47 AM

Baer TRS gets my vote. Everything I need, nothing I don't.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:53 PM

What would be "Combat Accuracy"? 9 out of 10 times accuracy is more the shooter than the gun. You could have the most expensive gun in the world but it won't gurantee you a great shot.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Geez, that's an easy question, really -- in a nutshell, all the models from the better companies are combat ready, whatever you mean by that phrase. If I was to pick a couple as a daily carry, I'd choose the a Guncrafter's 50 GI (with the optional .45ACP kit) for urban carry, and a Wilson CQB in 10mm for rural carry -- you can see them here:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_cqb.asp

http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/

sophijo, these guys have given you solid advice concerning your question -- look them over and you'll make a good choice. The boys at this site are the best informed 1911 people around; they not only will point you in the right direction, they'll tell you how to get there without all the 'bull-hockey'[/COLOR] you find at other forums. Read and learn, then read it over a second time as these suggestions are written from experience, and that experience can only save you time, money, and hard work...

Good Luck
DISCLAIMER: The preceding personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and by finalizing my own experiences regarding the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...
Old 12-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
Umm, I'll gladly take a "rattletrap" 1911 anytime into combat. Our soldiers did, and they're none the worse for wear because of it.

If I had to grab a pistol out of my safe to go join folks headed for the hills it would most likely be one of my USGI 1911s. They've always worked. But since we're talking about a current-production 1911 I'd say either my Colt S70 or my Springfield GI Mil-Spec. They're just loose enough that I know they won't choke on a grain of sand wedged in the wrong place.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:25 PM

I would get a RIA, why? it is cheap, it is accurate, reliable, it is not as tight as others. You all know that at some point during combat you are going to drop your gun at least once, so do you want to carry a $1,500 or more gun to the battle field?[/QUOTE]

I asume that on this battlefield people are trying to kill me. Yes I want my $1500. gun. not A $400. RIA. I don't care if it might get dropped.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlander View Post
I would get a RIA, why? it is cheap, it is accurate, reliable, it is not as tight as others. You all know that at some point during combat you are going to drop your gun at least once, so do you want to carry a $1,500 or more gun to the battle field?
I asume that on this battlefield people are trying to kill me. Yes I want my $1500. gun. not A $400. RIA. I don't care if it might get dropped.[/QUOTE]

+1, the classic saying 'What is YOUR life worth?' I would be happy if all I got out of a life and death fight is a scratch on my 1911!
Old 12-06-2008, 02:42 PM

That quote came from Lunatic. I screwed it up somehow.
Sorry