1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 PM

Optics for DPMS LR-308 with 24 inch bull

Ok....I need some optics advice. I want top quality even though it costs top $$$$. I'm thinking Leupold Mark 4 with Mark 4 steel rings. Should I go with another scope / ring set up???? Maybe a Larue Tactical QD LT-104 mount and a S&B or Nightforce scope???? Does anyone have any experience they could share to help me with my decision? Thanks in advance all!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM

Dude. Wal Mart has some good scopes for like 80 bucks. Simple as that.

I kid man. I know nothing about scopes. Sorry dude. But I will be watching so I can learn myself! OH Larue Tactical does probably make some of the best rings though for sure. I am getting a Larue for my DMS for my Ar
Old 11-26-2008, 10:14 PM

Think about

Millett TRS1 or something from Mueller....
Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 PM

You really can't go wrong with either the Nightforce or Louie MK4
Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 PM

What are you gonna use it for?

I love Leupold stuff and have a VX-III on my 24" Bushy.

Great stuff made by Americans in America....

Active Duty Community Organizer, Philanthropist
Old 11-27-2008, 12:24 AM

I have the Burris XTR 3-12x50 w/ 30mm tube. Great piece of glass IMO. Illuminated reticle and Burris has an outstanding CS Dept. Clear, great focus and tuff as all get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Michael View Post
OH Larue Tactical does probably make some of the best rings though for sure. I am getting a Larue for my DMS for my Ar
I am in the process of switching ALL my rings to LaRue! They are tops and I recommend them with out reservation to ANYONE! I have two DMS-1 scopes and I am very happy one on my AR,with a LaRue mount. The only draw back is it is a heavy scope and you will notice it on an AR.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:13 AM

The best glass on the market today is S&B. I went with a PM-II Marine Corps MIL/MIL setup. 3-12power. Illuminated Reticle. If you want really itty-bitty holes, there is a 15 power made by S&B. But the 12 will get you to 1000 yards if your rifle will.

I paid as much for the glass as the rifle. You can find private dealers on Snipers Hide. That is where I scored.

The glass issue really comes into it's own at dusk/low light scenarios. The better glass will keep you shooting much longer than the lesser glass. Hint: Gun schools really have a habit of setting up these scenarios.

Remember the downside to really high-power scopes. In many situations, looking at a gnats ass at 600 yards will also mean you can't see the 10 other gnats in the area. Just think about it.

It is surprising how often one will be shooting at lower powers.

Another issue. S&B is great. US Optics is almost legion. Great scope. Just behind S&B glass wise. Just as tough as S&B. They have a really neat one turn knob system. But man, they are freaking heavy.

How heavy? Pistol heavy. If you are looking to hump and shoot off-hand sometimes, it starts to be an issue. Especially with a modern sniper rifle that is already heavy. It is my opinion that weight and just a little better glass is why the USMC switched.

IMO if you buy S&B or USO, you will probably keep them forever. Should you need to sell it, they will sell at very good prices. Not so much with other makers.

The above opinions are mine and mine alone. I am NOT a rifle guy. Just a guy who wanted one sniper rifle for school and competition.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 11-27-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsans View Post
I The only draw back is it is a heavy scope and you will notice it on an AR.
World class mounts that save weight are made by Seekins. They are aluminium, but he warranties for life. Sends a lot of stuff to SWAT and military.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/

S&B scope combined with Seekins rings would be the ticket for an AR weight wise.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 AM

I just read something very disturbing - Are Leupold Scopes no longer made in the USA by americans? Anyone heard anything like this?
I have all Leupold scopes on my rifles and part of the reason is where they are built.
I have been comparing Leupold to Burris to Bushnell again this weekend and.....
The Leupold Mark 2 scopes are better overall in my opinion than the the Bushnell and Burris scopes....Not much of a comparison at all.
I will say the Mark 4 is much nicer than the Mark 2.....
That said.....I'm torn.....
I just want to be able see well downrange, have a good time hitting from 500 to 1000 yards but have a very reliable and durable set up that will last.
But I don't want to sacrifice performance if S does HT proverbial Fan.
I have just about decided on the Leupold mark 2 Hunter for my new R-25. Simple, nice enough, and effective for the purpose of deer/critter slaying.
I want to scope out my DPMS LR308 24 inch stainless bull barrel with a good long range scope but more importantly......I want to SCOPE OUT my brand spanking new FN A1 SPR with 24 inch bull barrell. Should I go for a top end USO, Nightforce, or S&B or do you think the Mark 4 will serve my purposes just fine? Are there any out there with first hand experience with two or more of the higher end scopes?
As always, all related opinions & experience is welcome and thanks in advance for the replies!

Last edited by D-Train; 11-30-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 PM

I have narrowed it down to nightforce and leupold mark 4.
I trust Greyson's opinion about Schmidt & Bender but I can't shell out that much on a scope right now. I looked into them and they perform in moonlight.....impressive to say the least.
So it's either the Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14 50mm or the Nightforce NXS 3.5x15 50mm or maybe 56mm???
Any thoughts guys?

Oh and I called Leupold as well as Nighthawk......all Leupold scopes are assembled in US......some components are manufactured out of country.......there green ring spotting scopes are not made in the US.
Nightforce is 100% made in the USA.
Lenses ????????

Last edited by D-Train; 12-02-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
I have narrowed it down to nightforce and leupold mark 4.
I trust Greyson's opinion about Schmidt & Bender but I can't shell out that much on a scope right now. I looked into them and they perform in moonlight.....impressive to say the least.
So it's either the Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14 50mm or the Nightforce NXS 3.5x15 50mm or maybe 56mm???
Any thoughts guys?

Oh and I called Leupold as well as Nighthawk......all Leupold scopes are assembled in US......some components are manufactured out of country.......there green ring spotting scopes are not made in the US.
Nightforce is 100% made in the USA.

If the Leupold is cheaper, I would recommend the Mk 4 with the LRT reticle illuminated. In my opinion, their best scope. I know a SWAT sniper that uses this scope on his call-out rifle. As a matter of fact, it was the scope he recommended to me when I was in your boat. I decided to step up to the S&B and get it over with. But the Mk 4 LRT is VERY impressive. It ain't no junk optic that won't sell down the road. Used MK4 LRTs sell fast.

Regards,
Greyson

Regards,
Greyson