1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 PM

Problems with the Tactical Pro II?

Just got a new tactical pro II and have FTF problems from the first round. Already put roughly 200rds through and still having the same problem. I tried several different types of mags (wilson, chip Mc, kimber, and springfield).

Is this normal and it will get better or is it a lemon.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 PM

I think more info is needed. Have you tried other brands of ammo? FMJ or Hollow Points? Does it happen everytime?

You may also look into the Wolf spring upgrade. It sounds like it is a must for the Pro models.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM

Check the extractor tension, most of the the time that's all it is.
Proverbs 29:10 Bloodthirsty men hate a man of integrity and seek to kill the upright.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 PM

First round FTF's are usually caused by the slide not going into battery. It could be a tight extractor, but usually we see overly loose extractors from the factory. Often it's operator error. Are you slingshotting the slide and letting it slide forward with full motion, or riding it down? The 4" Kimbers are famous for weak recoil springs. They use one for an Officer model, which is way undersprung for me. Wolff makes a recoil spring designed specifically for 4" Kimbers, and has solved many problems, even in new guns. I use them in my Pros and Compacts. Never a feeding issue.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 PM

Tactical II

I ran several boxes of ammo through it but it was all FMJ (federal and winchester).

As for the replies on the Wolff springs, do I need to try the Improved XP or the Colt spring?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 PM

NO COLT SPRING! You have a 4" gun, Colt doesn't make a 4" gun. You want the Wolff spring specifically for the 4" Kimber. Wolff Part #32725.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

Extractor

I had FTF problems right off w. custom tactical ultra II. after 500 rnds. I had the extractor loosened....seems to have solved the problem. Good luck and be patient.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Banned

I have a 4" Colt Combat Commander in my hand AZ. Obviously Colt does make em'.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewKimber View Post
I have a 4" Colt Combat Commander in my hand AZ. Obviously Colt does make em'.
Are you sure it isn't a 4.25" Combat Commander?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 PM

If you've got a 4" Colt, that's one valuable gun! All four of my Combat Commanders are 4.25".
Old 11-23-2008, 08:51 PM

My 4" Tactical Kimber has been doing the ol FTF and ejecting spent rounds into my forehead! I called Kimber and they said wait for 300rds before we analyze any further. At 200, I got the Wolff 4" spring. I also used a little dremel shine on the throat so.... My last 100 have been flawless with the exception of the spent rounds. Kimber says it may need an extractor adjustment, but I hate to send it in. The last 4 mags my spent rounds came out like this; 14 rounds to my right side, 4 rounds in the front of me, and 14 rounds to the rear of me. None clunked me in the head like the first 68 that had 4 or so strike me. Does this mean I am over this problem? I did have two rds today where the slide locked to the rear on shell number 5 in the mag. Has not done that before. I have been using 230 ball WWB and Blazer with Kimber, Wolff, and of course, Wilson mags.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemeister View Post
My 4" Tactical Kimber has been doing the ol FTF and ejecting spent rounds into my forehead! I called Kimber and they said wait for 300rds before we analyze any further. At 200, I got the Wolff 4" spring. I also used a little dremel shine on the throat so.... My last 100 have been flawless with the exception of the spent rounds. Kimber says it may need an extractor adjustment, but I hate to send it in. The last 4 mags my spent rounds came out like this; 14 rounds to my right side, 4 rounds in the front of me, and 14 rounds to the rear of me. None clunked me in the head like the first 68 that had 4 or so strike me. Does this mean I am over this problem? I did have two rds today where the slide locked to the rear on shell number 5 in the mag. Has not done that before. I have been using 230 ball WWB and Blazer with Kimber, Wolff, and of course, Wilson mags.
My Pro II is doing the exact same thing except for the slide lock. I've got about 300 rounds through it and it was flaky on hollow points. I put about 200 FMJ rounds through it yeterday and it was flawless but it has always done well with ball. Before that I was having issues with Hydra Shocks and Gold Dots wouldn't feed the first round even after changing to the Wolff XP spring. The 10 H/S I ran through it yesterday worked well but the feed ramp is a little dinged up now from all of the jams. One thing I noticed is that it seems to feed better with 7rounds even if I'm using an 8 round mag. I was going to try to feed another mag or 2 and, it if continues, send it back to Kimber.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM

Hey Dirty, My Tactical shoots the Golden Saber Remington very well. I hope the weather holds that I can try another 100 or so this weekend. Did you polish your feed ramp? Good luck. This is my 4th Kimber, first not so good one I've had. Still have my Aegis. Really nice gun!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:02 AM

Short update:

I put another 100 rds through my Tactical Pro II. It only had three (3) FTFs this time, so that's a little better. I love it's accuracy and how it feels. (My first 1911 style.)

I just received my Wolff spring in the mail. So I'll be cleaning the TPII and installing the new spring this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing the next results
Old 11-26-2008, 04:08 AM

I've got a Custom II back 'at the shop' for the exact same thing. FTF of the first round from day one. I'd tried all my mags (four Wilson ETMs and the stock Kimber steelie), several types of ammunition, and even a different recoil spring (Wilson #18). Ran through about 1,000 rounds and while the problems started to drop off in frequency they never went away. Over a 300-round CCW live-fire training session my pistol had FTF of first round failures on about every third magazine.

When I started seeing recurring problems I called Kimber around the 300-400 round point. They wanted me to shoot through the recommended break-in. I figured I'd double it, dilligently noting any hiccups and cleaning it after every range session. After the 1,300 round mark I sent it back. They, and many, many others who shoot 1911s religiously feel I've got a feed ramp that needs polishing. There's a permanent marring where the nose of the round slams into the feed ramp instead of gliding into the chamber. I have confidence Kimber will not only work on that particular problem but find out if I've got the (in)famous "bad extractor" or any other issues.

I'd recommend you call Kimber before you work on a new pistol yourself. They're the experts and seem to have a good working knowledge the common problems folks report. Have them make it right for you. I love how accurate and solid my Custom II is -- I don't love the fact that it won't eat that first round from a fresh mag. Single-stacks only hold a few rounds, it'd be nice to shoot all of them without employing ye olde tap-n-rack. The only downside is the wait... I was told today they're running five weeks out for warranty repair.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:15 AM

Did you guys clean and 'properly' lube your gun before shooting?

Just this last weekend I was in a class and a guy had a Kimber Pro that was jamming- FTF on almost every round.

I field stripped it, wiped it down and lubed it up pretty good. Sure enough, it ran 100% the rest of the class with out a problem!

1911's, especially Kimbers like to run "wet". Don't be afraid to oil them up-especially during break in!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:43 AM

Cleaned & Lubed

I can't speak for the OP, but on mine, yes. Cleaned and lubricated (well) after every session. The incidents would drop significantly but not go away after a good clean and lube. After 1,000 rounds, it's not an issue with running it "wet." It'a a bad pistol and needs to be fixed. My shooting technique is solid, too -- the pistol didn't "shoot low left," fire brass back at my face, or eject stovepiped cases.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:46 AM

The brass hitting you and the FTF both indicate an out of tuned extractor. You adjust this yourself, or find a local smith to do it. Personaly, I wouldn't send a pistol back to NY for 5 weeks and $75 for a 3 minute fix.
The pre mature slide lock is indicitive of an out of spec slide stop. Again, no need to send it back, call Kimber and they'll send you the part free of charge.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:02 PM

Country, I couldn't agree more! I am not sending this back for these issues. I told Kimber I was going to try a couple of things and their reply was to not do anything that would void the warranty. I do not intend to make drastic changes, I installed the Wolff spring and the gun is shooting better. I may ask them for a new extractor and slide stop of these problems persist. They sent me a new slide stop for my Kimber Aegis, I find them very agreeable fo the most part!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemeister View Post
Hey Dirty, My Tactical shoots the Golden Saber Remington very well. I hope the weather holds that I can try another 100 or so this weekend. Did you polish your feed ramp? Good luck. This is my 4th Kimber, first not so good one I've had. Still have my Aegis. Really nice gun!
I'll try to find a box of Sabers. They don't carry them at either of my stops but I did get a box of Hornadys that fed one mag successfully and a box of Gold Dots that wouldn't feed a single round in either my XD or my PC2. I don't want to try polishing on an aluminum frame. It my first Kimber and it's been so quirky that it's probably my last. My other 1911, a 10 year old 5" SA, hasn't had a single malfunction that I can remember and eats everything.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 PM

FTF Cleared up!

Now 350 rounds and the last 50 had NO FTF! It had three strike me on top of my head, but 33 out the last fifty went to to right, 14 went behind me and the three that struck me. I still had a slide hang on the 5th round of my original Kimber mag. (slide lock to the rear when shells are still in the mag), but not on any of the others. By the way, this forum provided me with info on tuning extractor and other issues I have needed in the past! Great help!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM

Pro Crimson Carry II. Approx. 750 rounds total now. First 100 rounds several FTF's on first round loading from mag. Main problem with mine I believe was new, tight gun, and new shooter! Shot with a few novice friends who had some FTF hangs with it, and I KNOW the issue they had was not jacking the slide and releasing, but riding it home.
Cleaned well that night. Next 100 rounds had a few failures to fully seat and required bumping in. (Using FMJRN only, for break in, btw!) At about 250 rounds or so, I simply tried to chamber a jacketed hollow point (hung on loading, first round from mag!) and a 185gr plated SWC (hung on loading, first round from mag!) So I just shot the 230 & 200 gr FMJRN's through the break in period.

Installed my new Wolff XP spring the other day at 600 round mark, took my new Wilson Combat mag, and shot 50, 185 gr. jacketed hollow points that I personally loaded over 7.2 grs Power Pistol. I had maybeee 3hang the nose on the ramp??? The rest loaded and shot flawlessly.

What does all this mean to me? It means that if/when I do it all over again, I will only shoot RN through the break in period, thoroughly cleaning & oiling after each shooting, and after the initial period go with a Wolff XP recoil spring, and make sure to polish the ramp! Speaking of that, what do you guys use to polish your ramp with?

Last edited by Slydog; 11-30-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydog View Post
Pro Crimson Carry II. Approx. 750 rounds total now. First 100 rounds several FTF's on first round loading from mag. Main problem with mine I believe was new, tight gun, and new shooter! Shot with a few novice friends who had some FTF hangs with it, and I KNOW the issue they had was not jacking the slide and releasing, but riding it home.
Cleaned well that night. Next 100 rounds had a few failures to fully seat and required bumping in. (Using FMJRN only, for break in, btw!) At about 250 rounds or so, I simply tried to chamber a jacketed hollow point (hung on loading, first round from mag!) and a 185gr plated SWC (hung on loading, first round from mag!) So I just shot the 230 & 200 gr FMJRN's through the break in period.

Installed my new Wolff XP spring the other day at 600 round mark, took my new Wilson Combat mag, and shot 50, 185 gr. jacketed hollow points that I personally loaded over 7.2 grs Power Pistol. I had maybeee 3hang the nose on the ramp??? The rest loaded and shot flawlessly.

What does all this mean to me? It means that if/when I do it all over again, I will only shoot RN through the break in period, thoroughly cleaning & oiling after each shooting, and after the initial period go with a Wolff XP recoil spring, and make sure to polish the ramp! Speaking of that, what do you guys use to polish your ramp with?
Since it's aluminum I'm not going to try and polish it myself. I tried the Wolff XP spring as well and it didn't improve at all. I had more nosedives on the feed ramp with the XP spring than the factory spring.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff16 View Post
Just got a new tactical pro II and have FTF problems from the first round. Already put roughly 200rds through and still having the same problem. I tried several different types of mags (wilson, chip Mc, kimber, and springfield).

Is this normal and it will get better or is it a lemon.

Thanks
I have the same gun, had some problems like you described, changed out the recoil spring to a Wolff and the problem was solved. I would do this before anything else. It's a very inexpensive fix. (Grip is very important as well as previously stated. My wife fires her Ultra and has FTF FTE, but when I fire it it's perfect. 1300 rounds no problems. I'm not saying this is your problem but it's worth looking at it.)

Regards,

Pat
Kimber Eclipse Pro II, Nighthawk Heinie PDP

Last edited by PatM; 12-03-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Banned

Kruzer and AZ,...My Colt Combat Commander is 4.25". I'm an idiot!