1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 PM

Early BoMar sight and rib

I am helping the family of a recenly passed Air Force shooter with estate guns. They had this Colt wadcutter with a BoMar I have nevers seen before. Anyone have an idea how old it may be?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Greg,
Does the rib extend beyond the front of gun about 1.25 inch or so with the front sight stuck out on the end of it? That looks like the BoMar Sight and Ramp, used on some Bullseye guns in the 60's and 70's. I used a shorter, lighter BoMar Low Profile Rib that did not extend beyond the front of 1911 pistol for my Bullseye .45 in that time period. In the 60's, the BoMar standard rib/ramp sold for $34 from Gil Hebard Guns and the Low Profile rib sold for $24. In recent years, the extended rib (which now included an accuracy tuner) sold for $140 and the Low Profile rib (without accuracy tuner) for $117. The accuracy tuner was a positive, adjustable barrel positioner. Your rib may or may not include the accuracy tuner.

In the 60's and early 70's, a new, fully accurized .45 1911 by Jim Clark sold for $169.50 while a Richard Shockey Custom Heavy Slide .45 with the Low Profile rib sold new for $179.50.

Last edited by LHB1; 11-17-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 PM

It's not extended. The unusual part is the sight is cut into the rib. The rib is a three screw and the part just above the hood is amilled at an angle. The front sight is serrated also. My books go back to 1970 and don't show it. The bluing on the sight is aslo a very high gloss blue.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:22 PM

Greg,
Checking my old Gil Hebard catalog from the mid 60's, I see that the BoMar Rib was also available in non extended heavy version (looks like your pic) called the Standard Sight and Ramp for $28. They were attached to the slide with either two or three screws as I recall. I see in your pic that your old Bullseye gun is wearing a trigger shoe. Those were popular back in the 60's for longer trigger reach and wider trigger pad which helped some of us. The only picture I have from that time period does NOT show the angled milling cut at the rear of the ejection opening. Wonder if that was a custom modification? This info is taken from Gil Hebard catalog # 16 from sometime in the 60's.

Last edited by LHB1; 11-17-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 PM

Just a guess but the late 60's. There are several items of note that lead me to that conclusion. First the improvement notch in the ejection port. The port is lowered but until the Colt National Match guns started getting some popularity in the 60's very few people were putting the improvement notch in. That was supposed to keep brass mouths from getting dented. Worked sometimes and sometimes not. The other thing is that until the very late 60's the notable smiths weren't trying to speed up the lock time. Careful examination of your picture shows the hammer has been thinned down considerably on the spur which is an obvious effort to speed up the lock time. That alone would put it into the late 60's vintage at least. Those heavy slide wadcutter guns were pretty popular in the late 60's and very early 70's for the center fire portion of the 2700. All the notable smiths of that era, Giles, Shockey, Dinan, Clark, Chow, and Bradley built them. Giles made a specialty of them for a while. The slide that is on the pistol is what is referred to as a Colt Hard slide, but it isn't one of the National Match specialty slides made by Colt because the grooves run straight verticle with narrow bottoms instead of at an angle like a Gold Cup with a flat bottom.

Additionally, if the pistol was built by a military armorer, they were generally milled on the front strap for 1968 and prior. This gun has stippling which a lot of shooters preferred and is also mentioned (both in method and in tooling) in the NGAMTU accurizing manual which was originally published after 1968. Stippling was just coming into vogue in 1967-68 among commercial pistolsmiths. Hope that helps. All of the major smiths signed or marked their pistols in some way, except for Bradley.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 PM

flint,
Good post and an interesting read. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

Wow! A fantastic education from some observant and knowledgeable folks. Thanks so much!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 AM

Boy the Bomar ribs sure bring back memories. I used to have them on my 1911a1's, my S&W model 10HB's, and a couple of S&W model 14 and 15's. All used for shooting PPC matches. They came with and without wings to protect the front sight. Great for target guns, but bad for carry. And they did not fit in most holsters. I used to work for a gunsmith named Jerry Moran in the 70's, and I used to install a lot of these. If I recall, you took the original sights off, and drilled and tapped 4 or 5 screw holes, and installed them. I shot thousands and thousands of rounds thru those ribbed guns. They were usually a big improvement on the sights that came from the factory, and softened the recoil of the wadcutters even more. As someone said above, the Tuner rib helped accuracy by using a spring loaded device to push down on the rear of the barrel hood for shot to shot consistency.
I don't have any left, because his guns were in great demand at the time, because he was a great tuner of Pythons, Smiths and anything else, and sold them off to friends. Wish I had a few now.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco View Post
Boy the Bomar ribs sure bring back memories. I used to have them on my 1911a1's, my S&W model 10HB's, and a couple of S&W model 14 and 15's. All used for shooting PPC matches. They came with and without wings to protect the front sight. Great for target guns, but bad for carry. And they did not fit in most holsters. I used to work for a gunsmith named Jerry Moran in the 70's, and I used to install a lot of these. If I recall, you took the original sights off, and drilled and tapped 4 or 5 screw holes, and installed them. I shot thousands and thousands of rounds thru those ribbed guns. They were usually a big improvement on the sights that came from the factory, and softened the recoil of the wadcutters even more. As someone said above, the Tuner rib helped accuracy by using a spring loaded device to push down on the rear of the barrel hood for shot to shot consistency.
I don't have any left, because his guns were in great demand at the time, because he was a great tuner of Pythons, Smiths and anything else, and sold them off to friends. Wish I had a few now.
Do you know if these are still available anywhere?
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoilfld View Post
Contact Gil Hebard Guns (309-289-2700) to see if he has any BoMar ribs for 1911's or S&W revolvers left. He did have some a few years ago (2003).
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM

Was it just last year that Bomar closed their doors? Seems like word was the owner died. This gun looks like a civilian built wadcutter gun with a mix of inovations over a 50 year period. Looks like someone's WWII take home gun got accurized. My bullseye experience didn't start until the late 70s but I shot with a lot of old heads with old guns. The work I see here is not on par with the Air Force MTU built wadcutter guns (AFPG) guns I hauled around for almost 20 years. Nothing like the NGMTU 1911s I hauled from match to match in the 90s either. The distinct characteristic of this rib is the rear sight being dovetail into the rib.... From the 70s on the ones I saw were milled into the rib... FWIW the iron sighted wadcutter gun has fallen out of vogue. This may mean that there are still NOS Bomar ribs out there for you to buy...

The gun below was built by the All AF MTU Pistol Smith Forest Davis after he retired from the AF while he still had a shop in San Antonio. It started life as a hardhall gun with standard Bomar sights. I scoped it in the 80s and then went the Bomar rib about 10 years ago.

Last edited by sdgeorge; 11-19-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 PM

EDIT:
You beat me to it - I type to slow
Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Bo-Mar .45 Low-profile sight for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoilfld View Post
I'm new to this group and I was reading the tread and found the discussion very interesting. I also saw this older post and was wondering if anyone was still interested in buying a "New/Never used" Bo-Mar Low-Profile sight for a Govt. Model .45 & Super .38? I purchased one years ago with the intention of mounting it on an extra slide and barrel assembly (still have them) but never got around to it. Drop me a line at [email protected] if interested.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:21 PM

There are a couple of pictures of that sight in Kuhnhausens first book. From what I can see in the pics there is an adjustable part on top of the breechface which can be used to adjust vertical lock up too.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:17 PM

You can still get one similar. Marketed as the Aristocrat sight. I just don't recall who makes them now. Bomar is out of business.

I have a lower profile Bomar rib on my Combat Commander.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944