1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 PM

That is a hell of an idea. Thanks
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
Hey, all that means is that you're in the same group as all the rest of us (who'll admit it )

Incidentally, if one doesn't want to mod the stop, another great way to avoid making idiot marks is to handle a specific stage of reassembly a different way. When you have installed the assembled slide onto the frame and run it back, line the slide stop up so that the lug will come to rest directly on the plunger pin when you insert it. Then insert it as far as it will go, letting the lug come to rest directly on top of the pin. At that point, the slide-stop post will be just into the right-side frame hole. It will be secure enough at that point that you can then ... (here's the different part) ... let the slide go forward until it stops on the slide-stop post. That frees up both your hands to do the critical work getting the slide-stop lug to START pushing the pin back. Once it starts back, hold it securely in place with one hand, run the slide back with the other until the assembly notch lines up with the slide-stop lug, and then press the slide straight in to seat it fully. The main differences with doing it this way are (1) the slide-stop lug is never over the frame in the first place, and (2) you can use two hands instead of just one to get the slide-stop lug started past the pin.

Best,
Jon

P.S. - What I just described is shown with pictures in post #2 here: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214825
awesome! Thank you for that!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 PM

I can certainly see the advantage of filing the grove after spending an hour with the SA Micro. I did learn that a small flat blade screw driver will depress the pin and let the ss drop into place.. but it took awhile Cheers.. Ron
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM

It will, but it's like using a shoehorn to put on soft tennis shoes - a screwdriver shouldn't be needed if the installation technique is correct, or if the log man mod is done. Plus, using a screwdriver runs the risk of causing exactly what this thread is about avoiding - scratches! Food for thought.

Best,
Jon
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM

I put in my groove today. Not as big as the picture, yes I know the pic is enlarged to show detail, but a groove nontheless (or should that be
alwaysthemore?).

It made the slide stop go right in and still enough pressure to hold it where it should be. Why doesn't the manufacturer do this???

dtody
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM

That particular slide stop that I pictured is a slightly oversize stop made by BUL and does look like quite a groove many don't look or need quite that much, but it's the idea that I was wanting to get across, feel the groove saddle on the plunger and push straight in. Bingo!

LOG

Old 11-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtody View Post
Why doesn't the manufacturer do this???

Log man asked them not too. They'd have to pay him all those millions in royalties, and he's already got more money than he can stand.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Now I'm scratching my head......how'd you know that? Actually I believe Nighthawk Custom does put in some kind of notch in their stop, and no they didn't ask, but as much as they charge for their production guns it should have some nice features.

LOG

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Awesome idea.

I've never had a problem getting the slide stop in though
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
. . . Actually I believe Nighthawk Custom does put in some kind of notch in their stop. . .
So does Wilson. Before I saw this thread, I called Wilson to buy one of their grooved-stops, but they told me it would not come with the groove, since that is a perk they do on their assembled guns only.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw091486 View Post
I'm pretty new to 1911's, only had mine for about 3 weeks now, but I've never had a problem getting the slide catch in. I just push down and the plunger tube seems to depress itself, cycle the slide back and forward, and the slide catch usually catches and depresses all the way in.

I have a lot more trouble getting the thumb safety in, depressing the other end of the plunger tube. I filed down the end of a plastic cheapo paint brush I use to apply Slide Glide to the pistol and was using this for a few days, but it just chipped.
You're supposed to have the slide positioned with the takedown notch at the slide stop head. The slide should be unsprung at this point so you can easily shift it a little as needed for the difficult ones. Are you saying you run the slide back and forth as you are trying to snap the slide stop in?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:59 AM

While this is a tricky procedure I have never NOT been able to get the slide stop back in place...Until now. I'm having the same problem like never before with a brand new SA Mil-spec.

Slide stop snaps about most of the way in place then stops, sitting about 1/8" away from flush against frame. I've tried every suggestion posted and while it looks like it's in place it actually isn't. I cannot engage the slide stop...Won't toggle up or down... And the slide does not move freely on the frame's rails...Sticks and freezes up.

So I disassemble and try again...and again. Ad nauseum. Really over this.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebb View Post
While this is a tricky procedure I have never NOT been able to get the slide stop back in place...Until now. I'm having the same problem like never before with a brand new SA Mil-spec.

Slide stop snaps about most of the way in place then stops, sitting about 1/8" away from flush against frame. I've tried every suggestion posted and while it looks like it's in place it actually isn't. I cannot engage the slide stop...Won't toggle up or down... And the slide does not move freely on the frame's rails...Sticks and freezes up.

So I disassemble and try again...and again. Ad nauseum. Really over this.
Next time you attempt this look real close. I'll bet the plunger pin is stuck in the SS notch. You should be able to push the plunger pin in with a small punch, etc.,.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:04 AM

I was able to slip the slide stop into it's correct position upon a liberal application of profanity.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 AM

I'm one of the most dangerous people alive when it comes to tools that remove metal.

So one of these days I'm going to pick up a spare slide stop and give this a try. I've got a couple of pistols it takes three hands to replace the slide stop and this mod would be just the ticket.

You know what I find ridiculous? People who use the word ridiculous and can't spell it.

Alot is NOT A WORD. A lot is the opposite of a little.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 AM

I could see the plunger pin getting caught in the SS notch which was stopping it halfway. Once I sorted that out it really was just a simple matter of aligning the takedown notch with the slide stop head, then tweaking a bit to find that sweet spot.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Cool idea, glad this got bumped back up.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:40 PM

The first time you put the slide stop back in with the notch you will be smiling ear to ear. Still can't believe JMB did not think of it.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:15 PM

My first ever 1911 is the Kimber Ultra Carry II that I just received as an 11th anniversary gift from my wife. I wanted to know how to break it down so I did the google search and located a YouTube video. It was well done. However, doing it is different than watching. Needlesstosay, I put some of those 'idiot marks'....
Went and bought some Aluminum Black (Birchwood Casey product) and tried covering it up as best I can...still noticeable, but not as bad....I've been practicing, TAKING MY TIME now, and getting the feel for it...
It is what it is
Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 PM

This is an extremely intelligent modification. It's right up there with the invention of the wheel.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 PM

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but this isn't a new modification. I'm not sure who thought of it, but John Jardine has been doing that slide stop mod for years. My daily carry gun that he worked on has that mod done to it, and it was worked on more than 5 years ago. Maybe Armand Swenson taught him that in back in 1965. lol
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yavapa...y/324701028391
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but this isn't a new modification. I'm not sure who thought of it, but John Jardine has been doing that slide stop mod for years. My daily carry gun that he worked on has that mod done to it, and it was worked on more than 5 years ago. Maybe Armand Swenson taught him that in back in 1965. lol
No rain or parade here.
As I said earlier, when I thought of doing this, and while doing it for my first time, I felt sure others would have surely done it before. And have always been sure they have. Some we know of and others we don't. But it works well for all. Some one probably did it 100 years ago, and every year since. There is nothing new, just the realization of what's useful and beneficial.

LOG

Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks lm, did this mod on bob last night, just takes a few min and really works. Any other easy things to do to make life easier?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 AM

I have been lucky and avoided the dreaded SBS. Like log said some 1911 SS's pop right in and some Fight you all the way.

Pop right in:
1st DW CBOB
EB Kobra carry
Springer GI

Fight all the way:
2nd DW CBOB
Springer MC Operator

I just found this thread for the first time... Thank you Log!
Where are my jewlers files

BTW, SBS = Short Bus Scratch!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:44 PM

I have been using the Dawson Tool Less guide rod for a year on my Ed Brown. This allows me to use both hands putting the slide stop back in so never a scratch. There is no tension on the slide because the recoil spring is held captive and compressed on the guide rod.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...002-1126315802