1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 11-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Colt Defender

Hi new guy here, I'm John from NC
I'm looking to get a carry .45 and would like to hear from those who shoot and carry the Colt Defender. I have a Gold Cup I purchased new about 25yrs. ago, great gun had some custom work done on it and had it hard chrome plated. Thanks for any info on the Defender. John

Pistol Brass For Sale
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=433516
Old 11-08-2008, 05:58 PM

Launch a search for your fastest return of information. Plenty has been written about that gun. I can't help as I have never owned one.....yet.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:46 PM

I've had my Defender for 18 months, and it's my primary carry firearm.

You'll find it's reliable and surprisingly accurate. The Defender functions especially smoothly with 185 grain bullets; but don't worry, it will run with other weights, round nose, flat tip, hollow point, anything you load it with.

Compared with the full-size 1911, it's much faster in engaging multiple targets.

Change the recoil spring regularly!
Benefactor Member, NRA
Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Thanks Rich, I did a search and read some of the older posts but also wanted to hear from those who got there gun more recently as things change, from what I have read Kimbers have gone down in quality from years back. John

Pistol Brass For Sale
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=433516
Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM

I got my Defender earlier this year. It had some fuctional / reliability issues that made it completely useless at first. I sent it back to Colt for repairs and now I can trust it with 230 FMJ rounds. I have not tried many JHP rounds in it yet, but the ones I have did not feed smoothly and that concerns me.

I like the size and weight of the gun. It caries nicely in both my strong side IWB holster or my shoulder rig. I did replace the big rubber grips with a set of slim wood grips; it gave it a much better feel. I also installed a Wilson grip safety, I've never cared for the Colt "duckbill" style. The sights are fine, but I'd like to swap them for a set of Tritium night sights at some point.

Overall, I think that it is a good platform. With some work, it will make a great CCW weapon.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 PM

An honest Colt Defender review

Hello,

First time posting on this site. Anyway here's an honest, detailed and totally accurate review of the Defender I bought back in May '06 brand new. Will write in laymen terms.

Bought the display gun. No biggy. Any wear is no where near the wear any gun will receive after live fire.

1st 150 rounds: worked great. Back home cleaned the gun. Noticed firing pin continuously in engaged (protruding out). Replaced with Wilson Bullet proof and problem solved.

Next 100 rounds: After cleaning, back to range. 1st 20 rounds or so . . . no problem. Next 80 round was complete nightmare. Extractor would not work. 3-4 round of every 10 was failure to extract. Because of problems I've heard with Colt and extended repair time, took weapon to local Smith. He was well known, but don't trust that in and of itself. He adjusted tension, throated barrel, and lightly polished feed ramp. After cleaning, back to range.

Next 100 rounds. Smooth, but three failure to feed. After thorough cleaning, I replaced the recoil spring assembly and recoil spring with factory parts from Colt.

Next 150 to 200 rounds. Function was problematic, to say the least. About every 4-5 rounds of every 20 rounds fired, some type of misfeed, failure to extract, stove pipe jam, and even magazine stick occurred. I attributed some to my overzealous cleaning (too much oil . . .). Cleaned gun (correctly) and back to range.

Next 150 rounds: same exact thing. Absolutely not due to cleaning or shooter error. I have several other 1911 compact types and no problems. Friend also fired weapon . . . same results.

Sent gun to Colt. Colt tells me need new barrel and new frame as smith screwed it up. NOTE: DON'T TRUST ANYONE SAYING LIGHT POLISHING OF FEED RAMP IS OK ON ALUMINUM GUNS. Colt adamantly informed me you can't do this to their Defenders, PERIOD!!! Anyway, got gun back.

Next 120 rounds. Better. 4 failures due to "early" slide stop engagement (i.e., stopped slide from going into battery when magazine still had ammo). At least gun was otherwise "working." Ambi safety I had Colt install also came lose. Back to Colt.

After received gun back. All cured. It finally works FLAWLESSLY. But it took quite a bit of effort to get to this point. I live in California and carry this weapon as my CCW. I trust it now.

But was it worth the effort? I LOVE THE LITTLE BEAST NOW. But it took a while for our love affair to peak. So it's hard to say and you have to buy one and try for yourself. I will say, I bought a Kimber Pro CDP II as a replacement. It works fantastic with no malfunctions to date. The 4 inch and 3 inch models really are negligible in concealibility. You decide.

All testing was done with quality, factory 230g hardball and some 185g HP. All testing was done with Wilson officer mags. Gun was not fired "limp wristed." Overall, I love the little gun but damned if it didn't take me forever to fix it!!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Did Colt happen to mention just what they did to finally "get it right"? Mine has been fine with hardball 230 factory loads since I got it back from them; but I'd like to make sure it will function 100% with JHP as well.

Love the size and weight of the Defender. Living in Ca. limits my choices in a compact carry gun as well. If I had my druthers, I'd buy the Les Baer Stinger. I have a Thunder Ranch and simply love it.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 AM

I miss my Defender. My report:
Load, shoot, continue as necessary without a problemo. Of course I like to change things. During the parts changes the little Defender just kept on truckin'.
I bought it used with a couple of non-factory parts installed and was concerned that a "Home gunsmith" may of messed it up, but got a good deal on it. No problems.
I MAY trade my Commander for another.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 AM

Well,

Colt didn't really say specifically what they did to make it right. They basically shifted the blame to the Smith. After thinking about it quite a bit, I think at the get go the main problem was the extractor having little tension. Plus a defective firing pin. Then I think Colt was right, the Smith screwed up the rest. Oh well live and learn. I'm just glad it's working 100% now. After an additional 400-450 rounds, it's still strong. Due for a recoil spring change out. But I'm a little conservative with it and only run hardball.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrygunman View Post
Well,

Colt didn't really say specifically what they did to make it right. They basically shifted the blame to the Smith. After thinking about it quite a bit, I think at the get go the main problem was the extractor having little tension. Plus a defective firing pin. Then I think Colt was right, the Smith screwed up the rest. Oh well live and learn. I'm just glad it's working 100% now. After an additional 400-450 rounds, it's still strong. Due for a recoil spring change out. But I'm a little conservative with it and only run hardball.
You might want to try some WWB JHP's in your Defender. Worked great in mine and not as expensive as some of the "Wonder Bullets" on the market.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:20 PM

WWB JHP . . . I'll try 'em. Thx.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM

Defender works well

I've owned the Defender shown below for about 2 years, and have fired close to 1000 rounds through it with no problems. I bought it slightly used, and the original owner had added aftermarket trigger, grip safety and mainspring housing. I added thin alumagrips, a Wilson 7 round magazine, and had a gunsmith dehorn the slide. I trust the gun for defensive use, and it conceals very easily in a Kramer horsehide belt scabbard holster.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Love mine. Had my gunsmith do the usual reliability work and then replaced all of my magazines with Tripp Research springs and followers and now it will digest anything it seems. My favorite carry piece for almost two years now.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:37 PM

I have never had first problem from my Defender or New Agent. my Defender on hip in its UBG holster at present. Loaded with 185gr Corbon DPX +P .
Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 AM

The defender was my first 1911 and has run great for the past two years. I did have a few stove pipes after the first 400 rounds but changed the recoil springs on the advice of several forum members (wolf springs). It is a great gun to carry and has not found ammo it won't shoot. The only other thing I did was add a set of alumagrips. Best of luck on your selection.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:41 PM

You can find my range report on my Colt Defender here. Mine has been 100% reliable. It is an accurate pistol, but it is not the best choice for a range gun. It is a superb carry gun. With a good belt and holster, you literally forget it's there.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=XavierBreath;2008582]You can find my range report on my Colt Defender here. Mine has been 100% reliable. It is an accurate pistol, but it is not the best choice for a range gun. It is a superb carry gun. With a good belt and holster, you literally forget it's there.

I couldn't agree with you more. The Defender is a great carry gun. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:23 AM

Defender

Just bought a used one. The thing looks new in the box. The guy did put on ambi safety and a wilson grip safety. Ambi safety will leave, but I can't wait to carry it. I now have a stainless officers that has been great, but the lighter pistol will be welcomed.

Tony P.