1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 PM

Accidental discharge Stories

Ok, does anybody have any funny accidental discharge stories? You know the ones where nobody got hurt or anything?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:00 PM
In Memory of John Forsyth

I don't really find them funny, but I put a .22 CB into my baseboard while trying to unload a Winchester m1890. It's a pump action .22 and for some reason, I didn't think to pull the tube out and dump cartridges. I was cycling the action and thumbing the hammer when my thumb slipped. My wife was on the couch and my daughter (2 yrs old at the time) was standing right behind me.

Phineas Edgar Horton, Oct. 22, 1932-Nov. 16, 2009. My Father in Law, who always treated me as his own son, you will be sorely missed.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 PM

I agree with BrianMajors. To me the words "funny" and "accidental discharge" do not go together in the same sentence.

Perhaps back in the days of WWII someone could have said: "There happened to be a Nazi who surrendered and I accidentally discharged my M1 and killed him at which point, his buddy sh*t his pants. It was pretty funny"

However, in this day and age, I don't think it works.

www.handgunlaws.us -- Not knowing the law is not an excuse. Cover your butt and know the rules. This is a great site to start.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 PM

Oh you know what I mean by funny, you know like when you scare yourself half to death, no one gets hurt and in time you can look back and laugh. I thought I made myself clear when I specifically stated the ones where no one got hurt. come on guys lighten up
Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Dee View Post
Oh you know what I mean by funny, you know like when you scare yourself half to death, no one gets hurt and in time you can look back and laugh. I thought I made myself clear when I specifically stated the ones where no one got hurt. come on guys lighten up
Lighten up all you want. I see it as fodder for the anti's. "Michael, did you see this dumb hick's story about shooting his neighbor's cat's tail off? All those gun owners are loonie and they laugh about it too!"
I prefer to treat non-intentional discharges like what they are... potentially deadly stupid mistakes.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18
Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Dee View Post
I understand what you mean but I think a lot of us take safety very seriously. I remember reading a thread about some oh sh*t moments that members of this forum have experienced and some of them were truly scary just to read about and makes you think twice about feeling *comfortable* around guns. Even experts are humans and can make mistakes at any time if not 100% committed to gun safety.

I've never had an accidental discharge but if I had one and even if no one got hurt and no damage was done, I think for me it would be a very sobering experience and I can't see myself laughing about something like that even with time. Perhaps that's just me...

Not giving you a hard time or anything. Just sharing how I feel.

www.handgunlaws.us -- Not knowing the law is not an excuse. Cover your butt and know the rules. This is a great site to start.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 AM

Gotta agree with it never being funny. Was a rifle coach in the Marines, and I have had to take a weapon away from someone who was not taking safety seriously. I've also worked in a gun shop where I refused a sale to someone who was handling the shotgun with no regard to safety.

Not trying to pee on your thread, but firearms safety is definately a serious topic with me.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 AM

Well I hate to admit to it but it happened to me and scared the **** out of me A lesson learned for me and maybe somebody else. When I bought my
first Glock about 10 years ago I was not use to the trigger so I was told and read to practice dry firing it. So I sat there and aimed at a doorknob and practice.
I was distracted and slid back in the loaded mag and left to tend to something. I got back and resumed my dry fire and BANG!!!! Haunts me to this day about what could of happened. So lesson learned I never keep any live ammo around when I handle my guns and triple check them.
One thing I have to say is that the dry firing and trigger control worked because I blew the hell out of that doorknob
Old 10-14-2008, 01:29 AM

I was at a hunting ranch once, one of the leased ones. One of the idiots there was --->trying<--- to disassemble his pistol by the fire pit. Problem was it was loaded and I didn't see he was disassembling his pistol behind where I was sitting.

Firearm discharges, shoots a stack of beer at the end of our (MY) table.

I just about pushed him into the fire pit. I was pissed. He was scared, I told him I was going to rip his face off and eat it. He got a intense lecture and I had decided to go gut my deer in anger.

Looking back on it, it still pisses me off, but I "lol" at the fact I told him I was going to rip his face off and eat it. Because it was literally the only thing I could say I was so angry at him.

Last edited by DeathByCactus; 10-14-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:34 AM

That's odd, can't believe I forgot about this till just now. Back to working at the store.

Worked in the hunting and fishing section of what used to be a major sporting goods store. That was the gun store referred to earlier. Clarification in the interest of intellectual honesty. That day I had a coworker behind the gun counter that was pretty much an idiot.

So, I'm taking my lunch in the break room, about 10 or so yards from the gun counter. I hear a shot ring out. First thought was, "Well, the dumb S.O.B. just shot himself." I run out of the room to see what happened. Right away, I see idiot coworker still standing there and breathing. So now I'm pissed; I realize he didn't kill himself, he was just being the idiot I thoroughly thought he was. I go behind the gun counter, demand to know what happened, and he just turns with the AUTOMATIC handgun in his hand, with finger STILL on the triggger, and inadvertantly points it right at my stomach. I slapped his hand away and took the weapon from him and cleared it. He missed another coworker by a few feet down the length of the store.

What happened was that an off duty corrections officer was looking for a new holster for his off duty pistol; a S&W sigma, which was much like the glock. While he is looking at the holster, he sets his pistol down on the counter. Here were some of the mistakes made:

1. Off duty LEO set his handgun down on the counter without clearing the weapon himself.
2. Coworker asked to look at the handgun, and when told yes, picked up the weapon and failed to clear it.
3. Coworker was looking down the sights, "getting a feel for it", and pulled the trigger.
4. Coworker did not think about where he was aiming the pistol while doing this. Was aiming down the length of a store with customers and other coworkers in the store, and discharged the firearm. The bullet struck a far wall, if memory serves me correctly, at approximately 3-4 foot above the ground.
5. Store hired someone that really had no business being behind the gun counter. Despite myself and other employees telling the management that he shouldn't be back there, they didn't listen.

Guess that I can consider myself lucky that the "Oh !#&@ moments that I have been involved with were never my own. That is why I am so adamant about firearm safety.

Here is the pathetically sad part to this story: That idiot went on to go to a gunsmithing school. If you ever decide to hire a gunsmith in CO., make sure you know his history, just so you don't run into this moron! Sorry, I just don't remember his name, otherwise I would tell you for your own good.

Last edited by Birddog1911; 10-14-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM

to clarify (use yer words)

"Accidental discharge" refers to a discharge event with no human intervention or action; ALL OTHER unintended discharges are properly referred to as "negligent".

I am not personally aware of any accidental discharges, although I am all too aware of numerous negligent discharges.
None were ever "funny".

(It is proper to state: "I had an accidental negligent discharge", like if a dropped gun fired).
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2
I am not personally aware of any accidental discharges, although I am all too aware of numerous negligent discharges.
None were ever "funny".
Definitive answer.
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married; TWICE!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 AM

Anti's love these threads. You're doing your fellow responsible gun owners a great justice. If I ever have an "accident" I'll declare myself unfit to own firearms and will immediately sell them all.
On a side note: We had a guy in OCS who thought that the command of "...lock and load" was "rock and roll". He put the selector on auto and emptied a magazine before the command to fire. That did not go well at all.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 AM

This story about an accidential discharge is not so funny:

http://negligentdischarge.com/

http://negligentdischarge.com/leg.html
Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
"Accidental discharge" refers to a discharge event with no human intervention or action; ALL OTHER unintended discharges are properly referred to as "negligent".

None were ever "funny".

(It is proper to state: "I had an accidental negligent discharge", like if a dropped gun fired).
100% agree. However, I think most people use the term Accidental Discharge and Negligent Discharge interchangeably mainly because it's so rare to find a case of accidental discharge these days.

I guess it's kind of like the word "peruse". The actual meaning of the word means to read carefully or examine thoroughly but a lot of people use it as the exact opposite and think it means to skim or glance at.

I once asked one of my developers why he didn't catch an error and he told me it was because he perused the design document. I then asked him, if you perused it, why the hell didn't you catch it. This conversation went on with both parties being confused as hell until we figured out that each of us had a different definition of the word perused

Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 AM

I'm actually twelve and short

And I sit on dictionaries to get me high enough to type on this keyboard, both a Funk & Wagnalls two-volume set, and one American Heritage New College edition.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 AM

I was in the woods with a new to me single shot rifle. I had just placed a round in the chamber and was trying to determine which position the safety should be for "safe". I really thought it was on safe, but I pointed it to the ground and fired. To my surprise I was wrong about the position.