1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 AM

STI 2011 frame to slide fit.

Hello ,

I just bought a STI tactical 2011 frame, And I will be buying a STI slide for it , next month.

I'm just wondering, Is it easy to fit the STI slide and frame? Does the STI slide fit the STI 2011 frame without fitting?

If Not , What kind of fitting do I need to do, Do I have to file the rails and use a lapping compound or Do i just use a lapping compound alone.

I hope you can enlighten me.

Thank you.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:22 AM

Nope

Most frame and slides are oversize and will require fitting.
there is that chance that you may get a good fitting combo,

you will have a least a little lapping to do at least if not
then you will need to do a little machining.

J kee

SuperComp9 `;}~
7 Para's - 5 Sti's - 4 Colt's - 3 Caspian's - 1 Enterprise arms
Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks supercomp,

So you're saying that it is up to luck , if I get an easy fit or hard/difficult fit frame slide combo.

I will eventually find out for myself.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM

STI frame

The slide to frame fit can be extremely variable. One slide may fit almost perfectly, while another may need fitting.

I purchased a STI 2011 frame last year, and already had an STI slide. The slide would not even start to slide onto the rails. When I measured the grooves of the frame, I realized I had to flat file the slide to even get it to start. I used a black Sharpie pen and coated the bottom rails of the slide, and began filing. I continued to use the Sharpie to make sure my strokes were even and metal was removed evenly. When the slide was close, I used a small amount of valve grinding compound to lap the slide and remove the high spots. The overall fit was very good, and I set the gun up with a Kart 9mm barrel. I now use it for IDPA competition and the gun is extremely reliable and accurate with my loads.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 PM

Hello: The STI frame and slide have alot of material on them to just use a file. A milling machine is the way to then lapping with very fine lapping compound. You can use a file but it will take you some time and depending on your skill level the outcome may vary. Take your time and measure often. Thanks, Eric
Old 10-11-2008, 12:16 AM

Thank you for the insights and the tips,

I'm just wondering , When you finished fitting the barrel/slide/frame together, Do you need to file either the frame or the slide to get them even and flush?

Thank you.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:50 AM

Frame & slide

You need to fit the slide to the frame first. Once you have removed all excess play out of the slide to frame fit, then you fit the barrel. Once the lower lugs are properly fitted (I use the Brownell lug cutter), then you may want to check out how the rear of the slide fits against the frame. In case it doesn't match up perfectly, you can file the slide to fit flush with the frame or vice versa.