1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 PM

night sights that fit Mil spec dovetail?

I am looking to replace my rear sights on my
SA 1911 Mil-spec. I do not want to have the dovetail cut to a different dimension, I can deal with some fitting if neccessary.
Now, I am looking at a few specific models just am not sure that they fit.
I know the front tennon on the SA is different than the standard wide or small tenon's but I will tackle that later.(I may just buy the trijicon wide tennon front sight and trim it down to fit)
So do SA 1911 Mil specs have .300"x60 degrees?

Wilson Combat night eyes(brownells)

Novak Auto carry

True Dot(Kimber(
I am just not sure if these will fit the SA dovetail, is the Kimber dovetail the same?

There are a set of Heini slant pros that I like but they too are made for Kimbers.

If anyone has these post some pics please and let me know how they fit,'
Thanks
Old 10-05-2008, 09:03 PM

Brownells sells a Novak rear sight that will it fit the G.I. dovetail. They're available in plain black, white dot, and tritium, with the plain going for about $30 and the night sight going for around $90. These fit the Colt G.I. dovetail, which I believe is the same as the SA G.I. dovetail. If I'm wrong on this then disregard.The Brownells p/n for the night sight config is 662-001-002AA, shown on page 332 of their big catalog. It's called the Novak semi-auto
Carry Rear Sight. I mounted a plain version along with a gold bead front, and the whole thing worked out well.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:34 PM

Yes, I know the Novak one works cuz on the Novak website they have these specifically for SA 1911's. I was wondering about the other ones expecially the Heine ones at Brownwlls that fir Kimbers, and there are those on Taurus too. I guess my real question would be is the Kimber dovetail and Taurus the same as the SA dovetail?
Also, if anyone has pics of a Mil-Spec SA with night sights.
Thanks

Last edited by polskavz35; 10-06-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 PM

I may just send it off to get a dovetail on the front sight and a Novak cut on the rear, is there anyone that is not extremelly expensive but does good work with cutting sight chanells?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 AM

Trijicon sells a model that WILL fit the Springer Milspec - and U need not do any slide cutting. I had a milspec in the 1990s and had them installed.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:08 PM

but the front sight post width on the SA is neither thin nor wide, so do the trijicon sights address that too or is it just the rear that fits.

Heres what I want. I want a set of tritium sights(3 dot) that will fit both the front post and rear dovetail with minimal fitting, as far as I know the Springfield front sight tenon is not standard. So I do not want to but a 30 dollar trijicon front sight just to mess it up trying to shave it down so it will fir my slide.
If I do decide to have it machined is there anyone you guys recomend that is both fast and not extremelly expensive. Some companioes want about 150 dollars just to do the cuts(and that doesnt include the front sight!)
I dont mind spending a few dollars but that seems a bit high, I may just opt for having the front cut for a dovetail.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Yes - it will fit. But U probably need to ask trijicon if you need wide or narrow. I do not know.

Here is the hard chromed Milspec I had in the 1990s... WIth those trijicon sights...

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM

That doesnt look too bad, but I think I am going to send the slide to Novak instead. The main reason I want to replace the sights in the first place is cuz the front post came loose. I dont want to have to deal with that again so I think I want a dovetail front sight, and if Im going to send it of for that then might as well just do both.
Thanks for the pic tho.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 PM

Back when I had this gun, I was cleaning it at the raneg on a windy day, and the slide fell off the table and hit the concrete - It messed up one of the rear tritium vials. It no longer glowed.

However, the sights never came loose. I wouldn't worry about that.

I too prefer the Novaks. But the price to put recut the slide AND install the sights is high IMHO
Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Dropped off the Slide saturday. It should be at Novak's by tuesday.
I decided that I didnt really like any of the sight options that fit in the factory dovetail, but more importantly I definatelly want a dovetail cut for the front sight. The post sight on this one has come loose already and was crooked before that. I did not go for the tritium, I do not see the need or logic behind that one(maybee the front sight). If it is too dark to see your sights then it is too dark to see what is in front of them, right? Also muzzle flash is a bit blinding I hear

I agree that the price is not cheap, but it is less expensive than some other companies, and I will get them back a week from arrival to thier shop.

So, Lo mount 3 dot white is what I got. I may trade the rear 2 dot for a black u notch serrated and keep the front sight the way it is(or get a fiber optic so it stands out). The point is that now I will have many more choices as far as sights go than before.

next is the beavertail and a trigger job and I think this one will be done.
Reliability check
Sights check
Trigger

by the way, I cannot seem to find the post I saw that recomended certain beavertails over others for the SA frames, I believe that standard beavertails use a 250 degree radius but SA is different, thus some GS's end up with a gap between it and the frame?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

When I had night sights installed on my old GI carry gun, I'd had enough trouble with the front sight shooting loose (it had been removed to be refinished and then re-staked), so I went to a local gunsmith and had him cut a dovetail in the front. Cost me about $30 for the cut since I already had the front sight for him to put in at the same time. You might call around and ask the local shops what they charge for such work.