1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 PM

Drop-in 7" barrel for 1911. Does it exist?

I'm interested in a 7" barrel for my full size Kimber but I can't seem to find one anywhere on the net. I'm looking for just a barrel, nothing ported or with a comp of any kind on it.

Must be no fitting required. I'm not interested in "match accuracy". Stainless or black, don't care.

Does it exist? Where is it??

Thanks all!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz View Post
I'm interested in a 7" barrel for my full size Kimber but I can't seem to find one anywhere on the net. I'm looking for just a barrel, nothing ported or with a comp of any kind on it.

Must be no fitting required. I'm not interested in "match accuracy". Stainless or black, don't care.

Does it exist? Where is it??

Thanks all!
For what purpose could your request possibly serve. For what it's worth,they don't cost much.

http://www.gunclips.net/co1945cal7ba.html

LOG

Old 10-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Banned

I think those barrels come with a free sandwich.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the link! That will do just fine...

I'm just curious to compare the bullet velocities of the 7" barrel with the 5" barrel on a friends chronograph. I thought it might be fun to see if the longer barrel would bring a standard velocity round up to +P levels, and what kind of velocity the +P's will run. We are also curious to see what effect it would have on recoil with +P and standard pressure rounds.

Seems like a fun and educational thing to do on a weeknight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Erickson View Post
I think those barrels come with a free sandwich.
what?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:01 PM

Do you think that barrel would come with the link and pin? Do replacement barrels normally come with them? It's not in the pic or the description.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitz View Post
Do you think that barrel would come with the link and pin? Do replacement barrels normally come with them? It's not in the pic or the description.
For $59.95 probably not, just use the pin and link out of the Kimber barrel and put it back when you're done having fun.

LOG

Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM

I don't know about the current barrels, but I had ordered these from time to time years ago and was pleasantly suprised at just how accurate they were for a cheap barrel.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/cgm.html
C45014 1911 Barrel 7" Roto .45 $54.95
Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 PM

Any longer and you'll need a bipod...
Old 10-07-2008, 05:03 AM

For each inch on a pistol barrel, maybe an additional 60-70FPS. Do the math and save the money and time.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 10-07-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leade45 View Post
For each inch on a pistol barrel, maybe an additional 60-70FPS. Do the math and save the money and time.
But shooting it is the best part! Math is no fun.

Thanks for the links guys...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:43 PM

The WWII Thompson M1 had a 10 inch barrel. From what I understand, anything over 10" is worthless.

GES..............................
Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 PM

We had an AMT Longslide Hardballer ...

...my brother "had" to have one after the TERMINATOR movie came out and it made it's way through my hands for a few months.

That 7" barrel really seemed to "magnumize" the .45 ACP and when it functioned (which was a sometimes thing) it made an effective bowling pin shooter.

Having a longer than standard barrel can only help velocity and it could make a difference if the pistol were used for hunting. Two inches of extra barrel really helps a caliber like 10MM get some serious speed.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leade45 View Post
For each inch on a pistol barrel, maybe an additional 60-70FPS.
Maybe? I like Mr. Blitz's approach, and eagerly await his report.

Joe
Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Driver View Post
...my brother "had" to have one after the TERMINATOR movie came out and it made it's way through my hands for a few months.

That 7" barrel really seemed to "magnumize" the .45 ACP and when it functioned (which was a sometimes thing) it made an effective bowling pin shooter.

Having a longer than standard barrel can only help velocity and it could make a difference if the pistol were used for hunting. Two inches of extra barrel really helps a caliber like 10MM get some serious speed.
That would be the AMT Hardballer, right?

From what I've read, most people who have had the opportunity to shoot one had the same experience as you did. It seems that that pistol didn't even want to feed ball ammo reliably. I don't even know of a single manufacturer that still makes a 7" 1911 like that. I think Caspian makes a 7" slide but not a complete gun ready to go.

Anyways, I have the Kimber Tactical custom II with the aluminum frame. I'd like to compare the weight and handling characteristics between my aluminum framed, 7" gun with a all steel 1911 with a normal 5" barrel. I wonder if the center of gravity being so far in front of me will have a good or bad affect on my ability to quickly point it on a target.

I think a lot.

I'm going to most likely order up the barrel tomorrow from one of the two links posted in this thread and wait for it to come in.

I will post up the results for you guys in the upcoming weeks. probably pics too. I'd post them up in the proper section on this forum of course.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:49 PM

Have no experience with 7" barrels.

Have experience with unported 6" barrels in a 1911.

No reliability problems. Never a jam, failure to feed, failure to eject, etc.

With factory 230 grain +P, averaged an additional 24 fps from the 6" barrel over the same pistol with its original factory 5" barrel.

With a 230 LRN over 5.8 grains of Unique, got an extra 55 fps in the 6" over the 5".

Am also interested in seeing the results from a 7" barrel.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 AM

why not just buy one of the 16" barrels that sarco and numerich arms offer and cut it off 1" at a time and make a real "TEST" out of it. That would give you more info into what is going on velocity wise. It will also tell you the point at which a 45 acp stops gaining velocity and starts decreasing. That would be more valuable I would think. snakeater

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6864.png
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Snakeater,

Do you have the website address for Sarco and their longer barrels ?

Appreciate it.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:51 PM

Hammer..

look at the link "Log Man" posted up in this thread. If you look at the rest of their barrels, they also stock a 16" for the 1911 carbine. I'm pretty sure that the carbine is just a 1911 with a long barrel and a butt stock.

Cutting it down inch by inch is a great idea too! I ordered the 7"er so I'm just going to do my original plan tho.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:53 PM

10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Driver View Post

I have a 1911 worked up locally ( michigan) by M carniak. Its a 5" slide with a 6" ramped barrel. ( also fitted with a regular 5" 40 SW when I feel like being a girlie man..LOL.) Works flawlessly and functions perfectly.

cant say as I now how much faster it goes.... but, I at 1400 FPS, who cares? LOL

my 2cents

Matt