1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM

Replacement sights for RIA 1911A1

Hi all,

I just got my first 1911 today, a Rock Island Armory 1911-A1. I only had time to put 60 rounds through it today, but so far I'm really happy with it for what I paid. One thing I'd like to upgrade on it in the very near future are the sights. I do a fair bit of reloading and like to try different loads, always searching for a better group. In searching through this and other forums on the web, I've noticed the vast majority of people seem to prefer fixed sights. Personally, I think I'd prefer a good adjustable rear sight and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one.

I also would like to get a new front sight blade that preferably won't require any modification to the slide. The stock one is a bit too low profile for my taste. It's also misshapen, and appears to lean to the left.

I just had a real hard time getting a good sight picture with these stock sights. This appears to be a fairly common problem for these sights in a low light environment/indoor range. I don't typically shoot in these environments, but if I'm going to replace them anyway...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eric
Old 09-18-2008, 01:53 AM

Eric, . . .

Go to this website http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page02.html

I have a similar RIA, . . . I put the top set of sights on mine, . . . and it has never needed any adjustment.

There is a front sight tool you will also have to buy, . . . it is worth the price.

These are really wonderful folks to deal with, . . . good prices, . . . good service, . . . good parts, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 AM

Congrats on the new Rock! What model did you get, the GI? I have two of those, and a Compact. I always suggest that folks get the Tactical model, mainly because of all the extras it has, but also because it already has the Novak dovetails cut into the slide. This gives you tremendous flexibility in selecting different sights.

There are sights available for the GI slide, but selections are limited. I spent a bunch of money, and had Novak's cut my slide for their sights. I would definitely buy a Tactical before I'd do that again!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have the GI model. I think it'd probably be more cost effective to just buy a tactical than to have a smith or machinist cut new dovetails for me. I'm currently looking at these Meprolight adjustable sights:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=158325

Anyone ever used them or heard anything good/bad about them? Most importantly, does anyone know if they'll fit my slide without modifying it? I don't mind spending $25-$30 on the front sight staking tool. Thanks again.

Eric
Old 09-18-2008, 03:12 PM

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle.../87/Categories
Old 09-18-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersenep View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have the GI model. I think it'd probably be more cost effective to just buy a tactical than to have a smith or machinist cut new dovetails for me. I'm currently looking at these Meprolight adjustable sights:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=158325

Anyone ever used them or heard anything good/bad about them? Most importantly, does anyone know if they'll fit my slide without modifying it? I don't mind spending $25-$30 on the front sight staking tool. Thanks again.

Eric
I wanted Meprolight sights on mine, but they don't offer a front sight with the same size tenon as the RIA front sight. So, my smith took it upon himself to install a different kind of tritium sights, which were ugly as hell, and that set me off on a journey to Novak's for some REAL sights.

Keep the GI as-is, and just buy a new Tactical. You can't just own one RIA anyway.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm looking to purchase my first 1911...this thread has helped me out tremendously. I was going to get a GI...

If I understand correctly, the tactical version makes it much easier to swap out both front and rear sights?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I wanted Meprolight sights on mine, but they don't offer a front sight with the same size tenon as the RIA front sight. So, my smith took it upon himself to install a different kind of tritium sights, which were ugly as hell, and that set me off on a journey to Novak's for some REAL sights.

Keep the GI as-is, and just buy a new Tactical. You can't just own one RIA anyway.
I went ahead and ordered the Meprolights. From what I've read, it doesn't seem to take much to file down the tenon on the front sight to make it fit.

I would get Novak's, but I just don't want to spend the money or time to have new dovetails cut. The local smith wants at least $200 to just do the dovetails, which plus the cost of the sights....Just not worth it. I have a buddy that has the facilities to do the work, but he lives 3.5 hours away and I'd need to buy the cutting bits, which aren't cheap either.

So, hopefully, these will work out for me. The only complaint I have with this gun so far are the sights.

Eric