1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Info on Case XX 1836 Bowie please

This weekend I bought a like new Case XX Bowie, model 1836, with an engraving of a guy in a coonskin cap on the belly of the blade. A couple of questions I have are;
What is the brass guard on the top of the blade for? (It looks silly!)
Any idea when this was made?
How about value? I gave the vendor at the flea market $25 for it, and I know it is worth more than that...

Thanks for any info!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM

Value will depend upon condition, but Flea-Bay has similar knives listed in the $100 neighborhood.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:32 PM

The brass on the back of the blade was to let your opponents sharp edge knife blade dig into so that you would be able to deflect his blade , The bowie was designed as a fighting knife .
Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the info guys...that is interesting to know about the brass guard on the spine! Iwill never use this for a fighting knife, it is way too big! I assume this was aimed at the collector market. Anyway it will look good on the wall next to my muzzleloader!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 PM

The brass strip is known as a "parry channel".
As above it was designed to catch the opponents blade.

The man in the coonskin cap is James Bowie, who as far as I know, was never known to wear a coonskin cap.

The Case bowie is a copy of a knife Case made in WWII as a fighting knife, although without the brass parry channel.
The WWII knives had thinner blades, and many very similar knives were made from cut down machete blades.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:43 AM

Case made a Jim Bowie "200th Birthday" commemorative, but the pic on the blade was Bowie very much minus a coonskin cap.

They also made one for Daniel Boone and he did have the cap on his head.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Interesting info...I looked on E-Bay and there are many selling for $50-$100, along with a couple of WWII knives that are listed as being issued to Airmen, and you are correct, they are just like mine, minus Daniel Boone & the brass guard. I guess Case has been making this style knife for a while. Thanks for the info, I find it interesting.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:27 PM

I have one of the WW2 Case bowies in the collection. I've bought and sold several of the brass back reissues, but don't own one currently. The story I heard about the WW2 knives is that they were part of the jungle survival seat pack, issued only in the Pacific theatre. The Case bowies were replaced with the folding machete. The one in the collection my Dad brought back from England. He had an interesting job in WW2. Went out with heavy equipment and picked up crashed airplanes. He told me the Case knife came out of a German plane shot down over England. Wonder how some German pilot got hold of it!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the story motorhead. I collect old Ka Bar's & Western knives, and I think they all have a story to tell. I wish they cld talk!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
Thanks for the story motorhead. I collect old Ka Bar's & Western knives, and I think they all have a story to tell. I wish they cld talk!
You are very welcome. I don't guarantee the accuracy of the part about "Pacific Theatre only", but I do about my Dad getting it out of a German plane shot down over England in WW2. When the war ended and he got orders for home, he had two duffle bags full of Nazi stuff pulled out of planes. Little or no Army, SA or SS stuff, but lots of Luftwaffe, Lugers and P38s. Said he sold most of it before leaving. Most of the rest was confiscated. He managed to get the Case, a British Commando knife, a nice Ariel M3 in the M6 scabbard and his Remington Rand 1911 home. All are in my gun safe.

I used to be a very serious WW2 American military knife collector. The collection ran into the hundreds of pieces. In '92, I got the "Harley" bug and sold $7,000 worth of knives to buy one. Now Harleys are common and easy to get and the knives I sold are irreplacable unless I win the Lotto!!! I did keep the family heirloom stuff and a few really choice pieces. Like a low "S" Randall 1-8, a 5 degree Gerber Mark II, a stone mint USMC Kabar (the sheath rivets still have paint!). I still buy or trade occasionally. Recently picked up a Randall Model 14, hump back Soligen, late 60s/early 70s vintage, from a walker at a really dead gun show. Came out of his uncle's safe. One knife I always wanted, but never found a nice one was the Western 8" WW2 knife. Forgotten the designation on it. I see 'em on ebay often, but I think they must be repops. The same guy has 'em often and they don't have sheaths.

If you want to see a breathtaking American Military knife collection, take a look here.

http://www.militaryfightingknives.com/collection.html
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Breathtaking is the operative word! Makes my meager collection look bad! As a side note FWIW my nephew just graduated from High School this spring, and enlisted in the Navy, and is presently in boot camp at Great Lakes, IL. I wanted to give him something special for the event, and after a bit of a search I found a Robeson Suredge, with a wooden hilt, marked USN that I gave him for the event. He was tickled with it.

Thanks for the link...makes me want to do more knife hunting. They turn up in the darndest places.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 PM

case xx1836

I have this knife but the top of the handle above the 3 ribits is broken. Any idea if it can be replaced, cost and location? Is it worth it?