1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 09-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Rock Island .45's and +P Ammunition...

Can +P ammo be used in the RIA's safely???

I'm sure the recoil spring would need to be upped a few pounds, but can the pistol itself safely handle +P ammo???
Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM

Welcome to the forum!! It most certainly can!!! But with the price of +P ammo over "standard" 230 grain ball ammo I would not run a steady diet through it.

COTEP Member # CBOB0152
Old 09-01-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Mag View Post
Welcome to the forum!! It most certainly can!!! But with the price of +P ammo over "standard" 230 grain ball ammo I would not run a steady diet through it.

Thanks Auto Mag!!!

Nice to meet you.

I'm a fan of 230 gr. hardball, and it will take a HEAP of convincing to get me to switch from it.

The +P thing is a big factor to me in this decision, as is price.

I mean, when this weapon was first dubbed the "Manstopper", it was firing 230gr. hardball.

Why fix what isn't broke???

Ya know???

Still, with all the attractive new ammo available, it's a road worth considering, no matter what the outcome.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

I shoot +p in mine alot, No problems! Lee
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM

I'd try a .45 super one of these days. I think w/ a 20lb recoil spring in the gun, it should be no problem.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!!!

If I'm correct, the the .45 Super is the same dimensions as the .45 Auto, right???

I mean, the only thing I'd need to do to the pistol is change to a stiffer recoil spring as in the +P ammo, right???
Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 PM

I just don't understand why so many guys want to shoot +P ammo to begin with. To me, the harsher the ammo and recoil, the less enjoyable the shooting. Like bigger and badder means you're more of a man or something. I compare that to driving oversized pickups with lift kits and giant tires. I just don't get it, but, to each his own.....
Old 09-02-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondawg View Post
I just don't understand why so many guys want to shoot +P ammo to begin with. To me, the harsher the ammo and recoil, the less enjoyable the shooting. Like bigger and badder means you're more of a man or something. I compare that to driving oversized pickups with lift kits and giant tires. I just don't get it, but, to each his own.....
If we all thought that way, we would shoot nothing but .22's.

I don't shoot +p's much at all. Just enough to stay competent because that is what I carry.

I can't let my loads get under a 165 PF which precludes soft shooting 6-700 fps loads. No sense practicing with a soft load and not being able to deal with the recoil at a match.
NRA Life Member
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 PM

Well Rondawg, as I said earlier, I'm a fan of the 230gr FMJ round that Mr. Browning designed the weapon to fire.

Still, I don't see the harm in trying out the new fangled super duper rounds for experimentations sake, just so long as it's safe to me and the pistol to do so.

It'll take a LOT of convincing to get me to switch from Hardball, but if there is something out there that out performs it, still weighs 230 gr., is comfortable for my abnormally large self to shoot, feeds reliably in the RIA GI, goes where I tell it to go, and won't cost a small fortune, I'd be foolish not to use it.

Still, it's a tall order to fill.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 PM

I don't know what the stock recoil spring is in an RIA - when I get one I think I'll compare to the wolf recoil spring caddy I have and
figure out what RIA puts in it. +P is spendy stuff but whatever I
carry I always do a couple of mags full at the end of a range session.
I don't think that puts undue stress on a stock full size 1911 regardless
of manufactuere.

.45 ACP 21,000 PSI
.45 ACP +P 23,000 PSI

.45 Super is est. @ 27,000 PSI

I think that may require a 22-24 lb recoil spring
as well as upping the mainspring 1-2 lbs.

Randall
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 AM

my RIA tactical spring doesnt seem to have as much tension as other 1911's i have used. I have put 1000 rounds through it since i bought it in july.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM

You can run +P through any of the RIA 1911's. We don't recommend a steady diet of them. Most folks aren't going to practice with this type of ammo anyway. Maybe a box a year or something but typically this is defense type ammo. This will not void your warranty.

If you plan on running a hotter load, you may consider a heavier recoil spring. Also remember that regular recoil springs should be replaced every 1k rds or so. Chrome silicone springs will last quite a bit longer. I run ISMI springs in all of my comp guns.

Last edited by LVSHOOTER; 09-03-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSHOOTER View Post
You can run +P through any of the RIA 1911's. We don't recommend a steady diet of them. Most folks aren't going to practice with this type of ammo anyway. Maybe a box a year or something but typically this is defense type ammo. This will not void your warranty.

If you plan on running a hotter load, you may consider a heavier recoil spring. Also remember that regular recoil springs should be replaced every 1k rds or so. Chrome silicone springs will last quite a bit longer. I run ISMI springs in all of my comp guns.
Thanks LVSHOOTER!!!

I was a US Marine, though I've never seen a minute of combat, and I still utilize the Marine Corps Fundamentals of Marksmanship which are based around doing everything the same every time.

This would certainly mean that I'd have to practice with the exact load I intended to use for defense. That's why cost is a factor in this decision.

I'm new to the 1911 pistol, and I find that I like it more and more every day. I do as much research on the pistol as I can on my own, but I'm still left with questions that I cannot find the answer to....such as this one. This forum is a WEALTH of knowledge, and has been helpful to me on more than one occasion. WAY TO GO 1911Forum!!!

I LOVE the RIA GI 1911, but I cannot find factory specs on the pistol, particularly spring ratings.

I intend to change the recoil spring to handle +P ammo during my experimentation, and I'm thankful for your recommendation of Chrome Silicone. Could you possibly recommend a poundage as well???

I don't intend to fire anything hotter than 23,000psi.

Also, I've heard that the mainspring would also need to be changed when changing the recoil spring. Is this true??? If so, what poundage would you recommend as a matched set to handle 23,000psi ammo???
Old 09-04-2008, 12:52 PM

I have a S&W 1911 5" Bbl. Stainless Steel - S&W sez it's
39 oz. - a test by the 1911ezine of an RIA Tactical put it's
weight at 35.4 oz. My gunsmith who is also a 1911 user said the
S&W has a good stout spring but I haven't estimated what it's
lbs rating is. SInce the RIA has a little less overall mass, it may
have a stiffer spring already to handle the standard recoil
and cycle of the action.

I bought the Wilson COmbat Spring Caddy, it comes in a tool roll
like you have for a set of combo wrenches. Ther's extras like
a slot for a bushing wrench, and spare firing pin, and slots for the
recoil springs with labels on each slot, included are:
8# 10# 12#14#15#17# & 18.5 I think the lowest might be for a
.22 LR conversion, then 9MMx19/.28 Super? and the middle for
shooting 186 gr. TC/WC target stuff, and the upper ones for .45 ACP
Many argue the standard is 16 lbs, then others argue for up to 18.5

I don't know what the mainspring standard lbs rate is but perhaps Wolf
listes options for the recoil and main springs standard and other be it
above or below.

1,000 rounds, - I've also heard 2,000 rds.
it may depend on the manufacterer

Pause and think about the cycle of a 1911 - from ignition
and the unloccking of the barrel/slide/frame
lugs the slide ALWAYS in it's rearward movement has the work
of compressing the main spring in cocking the
hammer. On it's forward travel, and the decompression of the
recoil spring it's not dealing with the pressures of the fired round
and rapidly decreasing chamber/barrel pressure regardless of what
cartrdge/load was or will be fired it's just stripping a round out of
the magazine, locking up the barrel/slide to battery and chambering
a round be it .45 ACP, .45 ACP +P, 10MM Auto, .45 Super etc.

For ocaissional use, upping the recoil spring to 20-22 lbs may be fine
but if the particulair 1911 was a dedicated +P or .45 Super platform
I'd definitely want to up the main spring as well.

Randall
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon View Post
Thanks Auto Mag!!!

Nice to meet you.

I'm a fan of 230 gr. hardball, and it will take a HEAP of convincing to get me to switch from it.

The +P thing is a big factor to me in this decision, as is price.

I mean, when this weapon was first dubbed the "Manstopper", it was firing 230gr. hardball.

Why fix what isn't broke???

Ya know???

Still, with all the attractive new ammo available, it's a road worth considering, no matter what the outcome.
If you want to use FMJ's in your gun for SD, then by all means. But, I think it was the .45 in general, that was what was deemed the "manstopper", more so than the 230gr FMJ. The men that get shot by FMJ's , aren't neccessarily "bullet stoppers". Unlike alot of HP ammo which, does not, or at least doesn't carry on alot after going through someone, the FMJ bullet will definately go through someone and on into other things/bystanders. In a defensive shooting situation, the likelihood of being sued or even worse, by causing collateral damage with a through and through from a FMJ, doesn't seem wise. There are several HP loads on the market that have FMJ loads of equal speed/kick, that you can use to practice with, so you "feel" like you're using your SD ammo. Then, when you carry, you can use the HP ammo that "feels/shoots" the same. Speer makes a FMJ in their Lawman series, that replicates the ballistics of the Gold Dot series in several calibers and loads. You might want to look into it. Ammunitiontogo.com, sells both at very reasonable prices. Just a thought, considering all the money hungry/anti-gun lawyers that seem to be out there looking to prey upon us innocent citizens just trying to protect ourselves, families and other helpless victims.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM

Tactical Rock Island .45 +p

I have a Rock Island 1911 Tactical and shoot 10 to 20 rounds of +p ammo through it when i shoot i dont have any problems at all.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:30 AM

The RIA has a 23lb mainspring and a 16lb recoil spring.

It will handle +P fine. If you plan to shoot a lot of +P, you might move up to an 18.5lb recoil spring.

The barrel, frame and slide are the same as the STI Spartan.

Josh <><