1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-31-2008, 02:03 PM

Nevada Non-Resident CCW Permit

Have to go to Nevada for business. Turns out they don't honor my Ohio permit. It looks like they have a non-resident CCW permit, but I can't figure out if my gun-school training certificates will cover it?

Meaning do I have to go out to Clark county and take a class at the Sheriff's office or qualify in person?

Also, Frontsite is not an option this trip. Already looked into it.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 08-31-2008, 02:08 PM

I don't know if this is an option for you, but the Utah permit is good in Nevada (that's what those of us in Arizona get). It's a five hour class, no qualification to shoot. Send in the notarized paperwork, a passport photo, a fingerprint card and the fee (I think around $70.00). Make sure you familiarize yourself with Nevada CCW law. It's much different than in AZ and I would imagine, Ohio, too.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperdisciple View Post
I don't know if this is an option for you, but the Utah permit is good in Nevada (that's what those of us in Arizona get). It's a five hour class, no qualification to shoot. Send in the notarized paperwork, a passport photo, a fingerprint card and the fee (I think around $70.00). Make sure you familiarize yourself with Nevada CCW law. It's much different than in AZ and I would imagine, Ohio, too.
+1!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:55 PM

If you can obtain a Florida, or Utah as posted earlier, you have just increased your abiity to carry considerably, though not a quick solution.

Last edited by DARKSOUL; 09-09-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Nevada requires specific training done in state. Most of the major ranges/shops around town offer the course. It's an all day thing, plus qualifying with the gun(s) you wish to carry.

Florida and Utah are (relatively) easy to get. I didn't renew my Florida permit because Utah was (much) cheaper, covers me everywhere I want to go, and didn't require a new fingerprint card.

This reminds me, I need to take the refresher class and re-qualify for my (soon to expire) Nevada permit. At least the refresher class is only a half-day (plus qualification with guns I wish to carry).

Robert

Oh, what ever you do, don't apply for your nonresident permit in Clark County. They are the least gun-friendly and take the longest (Las Vegas Metro PD, our sheriff's office).
Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 PM

This is something I need to do as well. I am going to get the Utah permit as Nevada doesnt accept my California permit either.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM

I have my Nevada CCW though Washoe County.
Class is about 4 hours and then about 1 hour at the range to qualify with each handgun you want on the permit.
Then you must go to the sheriffs office to fill out the paperwork and get finger printed. Very easy and everyone is Super freindly even though they know I live in California
Old 09-01-2008, 12:42 AM

I am waiting on a New Hampshire out of state license right now. I think Florida non-resident is my best option. Thanks all.

Greyson
Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Very easy and everyone is Super freindly even though they know I live in California
Nah, they don't care. The only difference is it's good for 3 years and the resident one is 5 years.

Greyson, come to Pahrump sometime. The class is easy and it took 10 days to get my permit. In Vegas it took over 4 months!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM

Utah permit

I've had a Utah permit for about 7 years and was very happy when Nevada decided in 2007 to recognize Utah and several other state CCW permits. I made a trip to Nevada in late 2007 and spent several days there. I carried the whole time on the strength of the Utah permit, and was glad of it.

Nevada is quite an interesting place, and will probably be getting more tourism from CCW carriers now.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkman View Post
Nah, they don't care. The only difference is it's good for 3 years and the resident one is 5 years.

Greyson, come to Pahrump sometime. The class is easy and it took 10 days to get my permit. In Vegas it took over 4 months!
I may do that. But I won't be there before Nevada. So it looks like Florida is my best short term choice. But I have a problem.

I got on the Florida website and requested a permit application. They say to expect it in two weeks! Well, I have just less than two months to get this going so I am fearful the paperwork won't get here in time.

So, does anyone have a Florida packet they could send me or know where I can find it on the Internet? Everything I have looked at just points to the request page.

I would pay to have someone priority mail me a packet.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 09-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I may do that. But I won't be there before Nevada. So it looks like Florida is my best short term choice. But I have a problem.

I got on the Florida website and requested a permit application. They say to expect it in two weeks! Well, I have just less than two months to get this going so I am fearful the paperwork won't get here in time.

So, does anyone have a Florida packet they could send me or know where I can find it on the Internet? Everything I have looked at just points to the request page.

I would pay to have someone priority mail me a packet.

Regards,
Greyson
Mine took about a week to get the packet and five weeks from the time I mailed the packet to the time I got the permit, total of six weeks. YMMV

Robert
Old 09-05-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkman View Post
Actually, the Non-resident permit is now good for 5 years as well
Old 09-05-2008, 09:45 PM

My ongoing Florida application

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearmedrebel View Post
Mine took about a week to get the packet and five weeks from the time I mailed the packet to the time I got the permit, total of six weeks. YMMV

Robert
I received the permit application in a very timely fashion, about 10 days. I mailed in in (certified) on July 8. The published turn around time is "6 to 8" weeks. I called today (September 5) for a status update.

My check was cashed on July 14, and the clerk said they began to process the application on August 28, meaning they just initiated the criminal background check 6 weeks into the process.

In short, don't expect any quick turn around. Sorry,

doctorharrison
Old 09-06-2008, 12:22 AM

This is an interesting discussion. So I have a question for the Nevada residents and permit holders. The above posts have mentioned taking the training with the firearm you intend to carry. I have heard that the Nevada permit will list all of the firearms the holder is authorized to carry by serial number. Is this true, partially true, or false?

Also, does anyone have or know where to look for the list of State permits that Nevada will honor? I am a transplanted Nevadan and visit a couple times a year. So being able to carry using my now home state permit would be a benefit.

The best handgun for self defense is the one you have with you. . . . . .
. . . . . . . . What you left at home does not count.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss60 View Post
How many more states {off the top of your head} does that qualify you for?

maybe I ought to look into that....

If you have an Arizona CCW, a Utah permit adds Nevada, Washington, and Minnesota.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8_Shot View Post
This is an interesting discussion. So I have a question for the Nevada residents and permit holders. The above posts have mentioned taking the training with the firearm you intend to carry. I have heard that the Nevada permit will list all of the firearms the holder is authorized to carry by serial number. Is this true, partially true, or false?

Also, does anyone have or know where to look for the list of State permits that Nevada will honor? I am a transplanted Nevadan and visit a couple times a year. So being able to carry using my now home state permit would be a benefit.
make, model and caliber only. no serial #