1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 07-20-2008, 04:13 PM

Cqb

Thinking of a CQB for my next purchase... between it and a LB TRS.

Anyone have both and want to weigh in on my decision?

For the record I know both are top shelf. I don't want this to be a WC Vs. LB quality.

The Wilson is more expensive... but the Baer isn't coated.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:00 PM

I went through the same decision process about six months ago. I chose my CQB over a Baer because Wilson has the edge on customer service and IMO will go the extra mile to satisfy a customer.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM

The durability of the finish on the CQB made up my mind
Old 07-20-2008, 09:48 PM

Just do what i did,buy them both!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:43 PM

Wilson builds a better gun than Les Baer.....
I would go with the CQB without any second thoughts.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 AM

Take a look at Ed Brown as well, Special Forces or Kobra series.

Given the two options I would take the CQB over the TRS.

CQB or EB Special Forces would be a harder choice for me to make.
I had the chance to shoot a EB Special Forces yesterday at the range. It was a beautiful 1911 and a plesure to shoot.

The chainlink treatment was great and did not bite into my hand like checkering does.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM

I have both and find the fit and finish on the Wilson makes it a better choice is price is of no concern. The TRS finish wears very fast. The blueing is about 90% now and I have only had it 4 months or so. I do dry practice from a holster 3 times a week with it so that has a lot to do with it. The Wilson has seen as much holster time and has the same round count and the finish is 100%. Seriously not a mark on the gun. The saftey is much nicer on the Wilson and the triggers on both break super clean but the Wilson is about 3# where the TRS is closer to 4-1/2lbs. As far as reliablity the Wilson has been 100% (except when I greased the rails, my bad). The TRS with the Baer magazines has multiple double feeds with ball ammo and twice has double fed on my LSWC's with Wilson 47-d's. If I could only have one it would be the Wilson.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:19 PM

I've got a CQB and three Baers. Two of my Baer's are blued, one Stainless. I personally would go for the Baer. The quality of the two is equally good. None of the four guns has malfunctioned and all are equally accurate. I personally haven't been able to wear the bluing on my carry Baer sufficiently to bother me, though like all bluing, it will wear. The CQB's coating will also wear with time. Given equal quality, the Baers have always seemed like the better deal, and that's why I have three Baers and only one Wilson. I wouldn't give up any of them though!! You won't go wrong with either and if there is a feature on the Wilsons that you like sufficiently better to justify the price, then as I always say, get the one YOU like more. You are the one parting with the cash.

later,
AJ
Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM

BrettM,

I like the way you think...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM

A win=win situation either way. Congradulations!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
I would have to agree. I own a CQB, and a baer Concept VIII and although it is a nice piece it does not equal the quality and smoothness of my CQB.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:54 PM

Wilson..................
Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM

I have both, I like the cqb a little more but can't seperate with the trs either. The armor tuff on the wilson is durable, and mine shows no signs of wear. I also like how the gun isn't so tight, I can disassemble it with just my hands. The rails seem to run on butter. I like the trs thin grips better, and the bluing is beautiful (but does not hold up well). The baer also has a better trigger (more crisp) in my opinion. The baer feels very solid (ie. safety takes more effort to move), and the checkering is more aggressive. Both are solid guns, and you can't go wrong. Just get the one you want more, regardless of price (I wanted the wilson cqb more, but got the trs because I thought it was a better deal. Fell in love with the trs, but still wanted the cqb so bought that too).

Here's a review by another forum member who has both: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=186873.
And here's another (older, more posts) of the same dilemma you're having: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...b+vs.+baer+trs

Hope that helps.

Last edited by timwu85; 07-23-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I have a couple of Baers, and a couple of Wilsons. Although the Baers are nice, the Wilsons are a better pistol.
Plus......
Wilson's Customer Service is Top Notch, Baers is "iffy" at best.
Wilson's finish is 10x tougher than my Baers. In fact, I sent both of my Baers to Wilson to get their Armor-Tuff finishes.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 PM

Just went through this very same decision myself about 4 hours ago. I went to a local dealer to get a Baer Premier and I ended up walking out with a used CQB that was only slightly less money. I already own a Wilson Professional. The Baer pistols are just flat out gorgeous with that purty bluing but I ran my hand around the Baer and it wasn't quite as dehorned as the Wilson. The ejection port in particular was not a hand slicer but not comfie either. I really think the Baer is a solid gun but the main points in my decision process came down to the treatment that I have gotten from Wilson, the armor tuff finish, and the overall fit and finish of the Wilson.

Either way, you will be happier with a Baer or Wilson than say a non-custom Kimber or SA even for the extra dough.

Last edited by devildog66; 08-02-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:33 AM

The extra I spent on my CQB over the others I was looking at has been long forgotten...