1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 06-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Custom grips for Browning BDA 380?

Anyone know of a source? My wife loves the gun, but the grips are too thick for her small hand. I've thinned an extra set that works well. Took off from .035" to .078" per side depending on where you measure, but I'm concerned about the long term durability of the thin wood. I'm thinking Delrin or Micarta...
Old 06-07-2008, 07:53 PM

There are 2 sets of factory grips for the bda 380 (or 84f as I call it).

Do you have this version? It has a lot thinner grips then the original wood ones in my opinion. Also don't by the pachymeyers. They are very thick. So thick I don't use them anymore.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:36 PM

Hi, Peter. Nope. I have the wooden grips. In fact, the gun is wearing a set for the Beretta version with frame mounted safeties right now while I thin the beat up Browning version originals. I was successful in that they haven't broken yet. I've got to get back home for a couple days to let her try my handiwork. If it helps her grasp of the gun well enough, I will try to get someone to duplicate them in Micarta or Delrin to add a little piece of mind that they won't fail. Or try it myself if I can find any info on working with those materials. She loves her gun and is quite good with it. The thinner grips will make it that much better.
Those on your 84F look like the Farrar grips that Beretta offered on the 92s for a while. Didn't know they made them for the little guns. Much better than the Pachmayrs. I will try to find some of those to try also.
These are neat little guns. Very well made.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:55 AM

Agreed very well made guns. My wife shoots mine quite well also. These two are my backup guns when I can't carry my 9mm P7PSP.

Post a picture if you can of your handy work when you are through. I would be interested to see the end result.