1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 PM

.38 Super Load Data

I just got my new Kimber Pro HD II and I am starting to reload for it. It is .38 super and sofar the bullets I picked up to load in it a Sierra 150gr .356 Tournament Masters. I have 500pcs, and have loaded 100rds sofar. I am gonna shoot them this weekend.

If you have any good load data for the .38 Super and are willing to share it I would greatly appreciate it.

What primers are you using with your .38 super loads? My manuals are saying small pistol primers, but I have read reports of some people using SP magnum primers and also small rifle primers. What do you use and why?

What powders preform well in your Super? Bullets? Thanks

Harley
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM

I used 124 or 130 gr FMJs over 5.5 grains of Unique, for nice plinking/target loads for the Super, 1.25" OAL....

(I used standard small pistol primers, but since I never tinkered with hotter loads, never felt the need for large doses of slower powders necessary for Major PF loads; in some of those loads, small rifle primers can help prevent primer flow/piercings, etc..)
Old 04-17-2008, 10:42 PM

i've been using Winchester 231 for mild to moderate 38 Super loads with good results. 231 seems to produce consistent accuracy in many calibers.

for 147 grain full metal jacket (FMJ) .355 bullets i use 4.4 grains of 231 for around 900 fps, 4.8 grains of 231 for around 1000 fps. the 4.8 load is probably right at the recommended maximum for your 150 grain bullets. keep your overall length to NO LESS than 1.240 inches. remember, the deeper you seat the bullet, the greater the pressure. too much pressure is a bad thing!!

standard pistol primers are all you need for 231.

for some technical information on the 38 Super cartridge, check out: www.38super.net. there is some practical information on cartridge overall length and other stuff there that you might find useful.

some gunpowders require the hotter spark of magnum primers to burn efficiently. but the rule of thumb is don't use them unless the powder requires it because they will cause a dramatic increase in pressure.

for folks who load their 38 Super to excess pressure levels (usually competitive shooters that have to make a specific power factor for scoring in some types of practical shooting sports) beyond the SAAMI maximum pressure, rifle primers are better suited since they tolerate the higher pressures. pistol primers are designed for pressures around 35,000 psi max. rifle primers take pressures in the 50,000 plus range.

Last edited by superdude; 04-17-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:08 AM

in yours

Good bullet.

Suggest Sierra data (and you can call their techs on the phone).

But I recommend 'medium' burn-rate powder choices like N350 and 3N37 and WAP and Silhouette and Power Pistol and HS6 and AA5 and AA7 and Universal Clays.
CCI500 is my recommended primer choice.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM

I used 231 to load the first 100rds with magnum primers. I loaded them to about 950 FPS according to Sierra's manual. 4.7grs is the number I used with 5.2gr being the max if I remember right.

I am trying to find out more loads to use powders I already have but the only 2 powders that I have alot of that seem they might work well with the .38 super is Win. 231 & Unique.

I just picked up some more CCI500's to load with since I was out of them, that was the reason I went up to the 550's with the first loading.

Harley
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 AM

both 231 and Unique will work well with the Super. Unique is considered a little dirty, though Alliant claims that they cleaned it up a bit. Unique is often called a multi-purpose powder because it can be used for light and heavy loads for a range of calibers.

fyi - gunpowder burn rate is related to recoil. faster powders, like 231, produce less recoil than slower powders when both powders produce the same velocity. Unique is generally considered a medium burning rate (for handguns) powder.

the burn rate / recoil thing is discussed briefly at:

http://www.38super.net/Pages/Recoil.html
Old 04-19-2008, 03:48 PM

.38 Super Loads

For defense loads, I use the following:

115gr JHP bullet from Zero bullets

WW small rifle primer

8.8gr SR4756 powder

This loads clocks out about 1400 fps in my pistol. I don't use a ramped barrel in my 1911 carry gun, but it does not seem to show signs of excessive pressure. The load is accurate, and the gun functions flawlessly. I use an 18lb. recoil spring and a 19lb. mainspring.

For plinking loads, I drop down to a 15lb. recoil spring and use the following:

115gr JHP from Zero bullets

WW small pistol primer

6.0gr of Unique

This load leaves the muzzle about 1,100fps, and is very accurate.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:57 PM

My NRA Action Pistol load for my .38 super is 5.1 gr. of 231 with a 115 gr. JHP Winchester bullet sized .355 for the local matches (when I can find a local NRA match), same load with a Hornady 115 JHP for the cup. Accuracy is outstanding at 50 yards.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:39 AM

My pet load that I have used for years to make major in IPSC without loading lighter bullets to unreasonable pressure or the need for a fully supported barrel is .356" 160 gr LRN, Winny small pistol primers and 8.0 gr of AA#7. I have tried using small rifle primers but I to be completely honest I didn't notice the difference so I stuck with small pistol primers. I found this load to Chrono very well and met the major factor requirements and has been accurate out of my full sized Colt.

I know a lot of people go for go for a lighter bullet in a Super to make major but I didn't like the way lighter bullets recoiled or better yet snapped so I went with a heavy bullet. I am no longer shooting in IPSC but I have a few thousand bullets left over and plan to shoot them all out before I invest in a new bullet weight, powder, primer...etc. I am experimenting with 7.0 - 7.5 grs of AA#7 with the same bullet weight and am receiving excellent results.

I have tried most of the powders over the years and finally settled on Accurate Arms#7. However, I haven't tried any of the newer powders so I may not know what I am missing. Too each their own though, so try them all for yourself.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
I have tried most of the powders over the years and finally settled on Accurate Arms#7. However, I haven't tried any of the newer powders so I may not know what I am missing. Too each their own though, so try them all for yourself.
AA#7 seems as though it was made for the Super......!
Old 05-11-2008, 06:26 PM

.38 Super loads

The only reason to load small rifle primers in a .38 super is if you are shooting very high pressures. The small rifle primers help to reduce primer flow in the firing pin hole of the slide.

I have found using jacketed bullets sized .355" are good with high velocity
loads, but for mid-range loads, I like a .356" sized bullet. This mainly depends on you barrel, but some super barrels slug out at .356".

With a 150 grain jacketed bullet using Unique powder, a load of 4.9grains will usually produce right at 1,000 fps.....all depends on your barrel.

For IDPA loads in the ESP class, I shoot a 145 gr lead bullet, sized .356, with 3.9 grains of Bullseye. It moves about 925 FPS, and is very accurate.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:45 PM

My steel plate and "all around" 38 Super load is,

130 gr Berry's plated round nose
5.0 grains of Win 231
Winchester small pistol or Federal 100 primer
Starline brass