1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Anyone know who makes Springfield's magazines?

Who makes their magazines and are they any good? Just bought a new Springfield and was wondering. Also, what's the reason they still have 7 round versus 8 round that everyone else seems to have?

Why would you ever want 7 rounds when you can have 8? Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 PM

From their own advertising:

"Mec-Gar is proud to be an Original Equipment Manufacturer of magazines to most of the prominent firearm manufacturers for the last 40 years. The following are a few of the firearm manufacuturers to whom Mec-Gar has supplied magazines to throughout our history:

AMT, Armscor, Astra, Beretta, Bernadelli, FN, Browning, BUL, Charles Daly, Colt, CZ, IMI, Kel-Tec, Kimber, Llama, North American Arms, Remington, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, STI, Standard Arms, Star, Steyr, Tanfoglio, Taurus, Walther"

Seven rounds is the traditional 1911 magazine. Chip McCormick, Wilson and others found a method to reliably run 8 rounds in the same form factor, long after the original 1911 was specified by the Army...
Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 PM

So, are 7 rounders inherently more reliable then? I figure to squeeze in an extra round, they must tweak out the spring, either make it weaker and/or compress more.

So, it would stand to reason that the 7 rounders would be more reliable feeding and locking the slide back on the last round?

Thoughts?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc2464 View Post
So, are 7 rounders inherently more reliable then? I figure to squeeze in an extra round, they must tweak out the spring, either make it weaker and/or compress more.

So, it would stand to reason that the 7 rounders would be more reliable feeding and locking the slide back on the last round?

Thoughts?
No, not the case. With todays metals and tech Wilson and Chips were able to make dependable 8 round mags for 1911's. while in Iraq the Ops guys I worked with used CHips and Wilsons in there Nighthawks and Baer's.... If it works for them, it will work for you!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 PM

Metalform
Old 04-16-2008, 12:09 AM

i have shot with the 7 rounder that came with my GI45, i havent had any problems with it. i carry 8 round chips for duty and defense, but the one that came with the gun has been fine. i use it as an extra, but its never failed. i have even used it in my rock compact, and didnt have any issues.

anymore, the difference between 7 and 8 round mags is preference. i guess there was a time when the 8's wore out faster or something, but i havent had that issue.

russel
SDMF
Old 04-16-2008, 01:47 AM

I have three 7-round Springfield mags and one 10-rounder. All of them have been flawless. Havent had any reason to upgrade yet.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed_z06 View Post
I have three 7-round Springfield mags and one 10-rounder. All of them have been flawless. Havent had any reason to upgrade yet.
Only problem ive had with the extra 3 I ordered is two of them like to scrape the brass when being inserted (puts a groove in all my brass). Should be an easy fix, just haven't gotten around to it and just leave them at home for now.
- cars make people drive drunk.
- spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 AM

They look like Metalform magazines to me.

A question: on the "loaded coupon" that came with my TRP there are 7-round blued
mag's for $9 each. These are the PI4523 mag's that Midway usually has for $14.
I guess that these are also Metalform.

Are these mag's any good? Does anybody have any experience with them?
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM

I've had no issues with my 7 rounders, I have 5 of them total (I seem to have lost one though ).

I'd get a bunch if I were you. Worst case scenario, if they don't work, you can use them as range/malfunction clearing mags.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM

Bought 10 of the $9 mags and all worked fine. They don't have the slam pad so if your pistol has a mag well, they have to be pressed home with an extra finger poke. The mags have two threaded holes in the base which fit-up precisely with the Ed Brown aftermarket pads sold by Dillon Precision among others, so for a couple of extra $$, you can have full-function mags. Still a bargain.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:20 PM

As I understand it most 8 round mags share the same dimensions as a 7 rnd mag. Alterations are made to the follower and spring in order to allow for the extra round. The thinner spring MAY wear out faster initiating feeding and slide lock issues. That said, I have yet to have an issue with any of my Wilson, CMC, or converted Springfield mags. The new Wilson mags and I have heard of new CMC mags that have slightly longer bodies to begin life as an 8rnd mag, allowing the use of a standard diameter spring, thus adding to their inherit reliability.

-Hershey
Old 04-16-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm View Post
They look like Metalform magazines to me.

A question: on the "loaded coupon" that came with my TRP there are 7-round blued
mag's for $9 each. These are the PI4523 mag's that Midway usually has for $14.
I guess that these are also Metalform.

Are these mag's any good? Does anybody have any experience with them?
GTG. I replace the followers and springs in the ones that came with my pistol with Wilson 8rnd conversions, and added the rubber slam pads as I run an extended mag well.

-Hershey
Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 PM

You can order the bumper pad from Metal Form's website.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc2464 View Post
Why would you ever want 7 rounds when you can have 8? Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Frank
I have often wondered the same thing! Give me 8 rounds anyday..........
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington