1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 03-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Para CCW Magazines

I haven't had the opportunity (or money after buying the gun) to get to the range and but the recommended 500 rounds through the gun but my tend to fail to feed. I started by putting all 7 in and trying to chamber a round and it didn't feed properly. So I started at one round, then two, then three, and chambering. I got up to about 5 before I had the problem again.

My question is this, I don't want to buy new mags or springs because I'm of the opinion that the mags that come with the gun should work. Has anyone had this issue work out after the break in period (springs loosen up)? I'm a bit disappointed I was really looking forward to using this as my carry gun but if it doesn't chamber a round reliably that will never happen.

I do like the trigger though.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Banned

Factory mags are often not ideal. Your opion is right but you're probably chasing your tail trying to use this magazine.

Try welded base, orange follower Metalform OACP magazines. I've used them in all my short frame pistols without problems of any sort.

-- Chuck
Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Chuck:

Wanted to make sure I understand you. I looked at the Metalform website. What does OACP stand for? I've got plenty of guesses and the legend fits a few of those letters but thought I'd double check.

Also, thank you for the response.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Norstrog:

I tend to agree with Chuck, but Wolff springs are very inexpensive.... Might be worth a try first.

Tripp conversion kits were about $8/mag, too, at one time, if memory serves. I've got three of those in GI magazines here. My now deceased Commander didn't like lead SWC's with GI followers. Between the Tripp followers and a very heavy spring, they worked well....

Para pre-ban double-stackers have tended to be unreliable without spring replacements. Single-stackers seem to be generally fine. (Or at least I don't hear too many complaints.)

Regards,

Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?

Why do those who claim to want to protect me feel that to do it they need to disarm me?

יזכר לא עד פעם
Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 PM

In my view, the plastic Para followers are a bad design.

I had failure to feed problems with 2 Para magazines that had the plastic followers. This was on a 6.45 LDA Para Carry model. The single mag that came with it had a conventional-looking metal follower and it functioned perfectly.

While trying to troubleshoot the problem, I tried some 7 and 8 round mags I had from Wilson Combat. They functioned perfectly. But the bodies were (of course) too long and they stuck out of the grip frame of the 6.45.

This got me curious and I carefully examined the Wilson and Para followers. I noticed there were some differences in the contour of the upper surface that the rounds slide off of when they are stripped from the mag. See photo below.

Now even more curious, I swapped a Wilson spring and follower into one of my Para mags. Problem solved. No failures to feed.

So I ordered a couple of replacement springs and followers from Wilson and installed them in my Para mags. Test firing went well. And I got through a recent IDPA match with no problems. This was with hollowpoint ammo.

I don't know for sure if it's the springs, the followers, or both. I just figured I would relate my experiences.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

OACP = Officer ACP. That's the "size" of the CCW frame. Vs the Goverment Model frame on the full size models.

-- Chuck
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 PM

Frankie, I am going to start with the spring and follower substitute and if no luck then I'm going to take Chuck's Advice and purchase the Metalforms.

I appreciate the input.

Cordially,

Norstrog
Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 PM

My Para LDA 6.45 Carry came with two mags with the metal base plate (fits flush with the mag well). I had F2Fs with every mag. I tried about 4 other manufactures and all worked fine. I then contacted PARA, sent my mags in for repair and they just sent me two new ones – the ones with the black plastic “pinky grip” base plate. Now my gun is completely flawless.

“Someone once told me this is a free country” – John Smith

Member NRA