1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 03-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Where Do I Get an Extended Beavertail for 1911 A1

Picked up a GI 1911 today. Put 200 rounds through it without a single FTF. By the end of the session I was shooting bullseyes at 25 feet.

Sweet pistol, but the web of my right hand is a little tender from the hammer bite. Where do I get an extended beavertail? I don't see them advertised on the Springfield site.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 PM

Here you go..
http://www.smithandalexander.com/gripsafety.html
Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Brownells probably has 15 or 20 to chose from. Just make sure you get the right radius and remember none are going to be a true "drop in" fit. Pretty sure a Springers a .125 radius but I could be wrong.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Buy the S&A beavertail and the jig they sell and radius it yourself. Just go slow with the file and you'll be fine. A word to the wise, don't install it unless you are going to change out your hammer as well, or at least bob the hammer first. With the standard hammer on there, if you put on the beavertail and cock the hammer, you will be in for a big problem. Guess how I know that?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:10 PM

Here's a mil-spec that I fitted a S&A grip safety on. I used the S&A .220 radius jig.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 AM

Check out some of the drop in models from Kings. If I recall some can work with a standard hammer rather than having to change or bob the hammer. They will not look as nice as a fitted one such as the one done by lynn r, but they will work. There are a couple of other entities making drop in safeties, so look around to see which looks best on a Springfield. The Wilson looks nice on Colts but I can't recall how they look on a Springfield, as the frame tangs are a little different. I have a Springfield Mil Spec Ultra Compact that has a drop in extended safety. It looks pretty good for a drop in, but I am unsure of its maker. It looks pretty much identical to the ones being sold by Fusion, which someone mentioned looks like the ones made by Wilson many years ago. It also looks pretty much identical to the ones marketed by John Masen, but it work well and looks good.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 AM

There is alwas a Wilson Drop-In Beavertail for around $35. Just put one in my RIA and it feels great.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 PM

I tried one of the Wilson Drop in's in my GI. There are some gaps between the frame and the beavertail. The gaps are worse on a Springfield. My friend installed on on his Colt and it was not as bad.

I did not like it so I bought a Smith & Alexander and the jig and fitted it myself.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 PM
1911 Aficionado

The Wilson drop-in is designed sprifically to fit Colt frames.