1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 03-03-2008, 02:08 PM

41 action express conversion for hi power.

Hello
I recently discovered an Action Arms conversion kit in my dad's gun stuff. It has the barrel and spring with 2 magazines. I also found a box of Speer 180gr hollow point ammo as well. I have not seen much on this round as it seems to have faded. Would this conversion be useful/valuable to anyone here? Any info on this would be apprecaited.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM

If I remember right, the conversion never really caught on.
I think there was a problem with the extractor not catching
the casing some of the time.

You might do a search of the internet for more info.

Sounds like a neat find, someone maybe interested in it.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:23 PM

I received a conversion kit and a box of ammo years ago as part of a trade. I could never shoot two rounds consecutively without a failure to feed. IIRC, the feed ramp seemed to be too steep.

I traded it and about a half box of ammo soon after.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM

I remember seeing one or two of those conversions on eBay a few years ago. I don't recall them going for very much.
But this was a while back....before eBay realized that guns were the problem. Yeah.

You might run a search on Gunbroker or somewhere like that to see what they are bringing. It might take a while to find one listed, but they are out there, so you never know.

If I had to guess, I might say the factory ammo MIGHT be worth something to a cartridge collector. A couple of boxes might even come close to half the kit's value. But that's a big fat guess.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I just may hold on to it. One of these days I just may get another Hi-power and try it out.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALfan View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I just may hold on to it. One of these days I just may get another Hi-power and try it out.
Great idea
Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 AM

I have one of these for my 9mm Pratical. I got it becuase I also brought back a tanfoglio in .41 AE when I was staioned in Europe. I started loading for the caliber so I figured I woudl get a HP conversion while I could as they no longer make them.

I have had good luck with my HP conversion. I never had any feeding or extraction problems. It is a neat thing to play with but now it is easier to use a .40.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:05 PM

I had an HP in 40 and found it kicked more then other guns in 40 I can't imagine what the kick of a .41 E would be??
Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccolt.45 View Post
I had an HP in 40 and found it kicked more then other guns in 40 I can't imagine what the kick of a .41 E would be??
from what I've read it's got a slight edge in power over the .40 S&W so it wouldn't kick that much more. It's not like it's a .41 mag.

That being said, the .40 HP's aren't abusive at all. Less pleasant than a 9, of course but they are fun nonetheless.
"You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

-Rorschach
Old 03-15-2008, 12:40 AM

My conversion kit has worked fine in the hi-powers that I've tried it in but it is more harsh than a .40 S&W and I have decided to NOT ever use it again. Just not a fan of hi-powers in anything but 9mm.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 03-15-2008, 04:12 AM

I had one a looong time ago. It worked fine but I remember at the time thinking that it kicked and flashed pretty good (compared to 9mm in a BHP anyway). Of course, that was before the 40 even existed. Don't know what I would think trying it nowadays.

Give it a try and let us what you think!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:30 AM

I have used these conversions a great deal. Brownell's sold them for a while, and Olympic Arms was the prime manufacturer of the conversion. Few people remember that Browning actually did release a few HP's in 41 AE, and the magazines were factory Browning mags in the Oly conversion kits. Of course, fit is finicky as it is with any 'drop in' barrel concersion, even if you retain the same caliber. Results on fit, fee and function will vary because of this, but the 41 AE is a great little cartridge and very practical for converting anything that is 9mm into a handgun that can offer legitimate 10mm type power.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:02 PM

.41 Ae

This is an extremely easy round to load for, and seems to be much more accurate than the 9mm. I've shot Browning HPs for the last 25 years in all kinds of disciplines, and to me nothing works as good as a tuned Browning.
I have however, found the 41AE to be vastly superior in energy and accuracy to the 9mm, despite the increase in recoil. Powder selection (burn rate and pressure) is always a factor, but practice with a well balanced 41AE load will tend to make your hand more steady when going back to the 9mm round. It helps to think of it as training with wrist or ankle weights. Your scores and/or speed will improve if you are building skill for life or competition.
Colt hired John Browning to build a pistol for gov't trials in 41 cal. They already had a .40 cal (38-40), a 45 Colt, and 38 S&W Special and nothing was quite right for the average man in the military. They had to comply with specs and we ended up with a 45ACP, still too much, and the 9mm is not enough. Do the math - that's why the 41 is seeing such a renewed interest. Good luck with it, if you can find the brass, you'll be surprised at just how great this round is.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:40 PM

Unfortunately, .41 conversion are so hard to find. Heck, I'd carry a Baby Eagle if that conversion was the only one available.

But my preference would be for a BHP conversion. Alas, pretty much a pipe dream.

The .40 S&W is a decent defensive round but I would take a .41 AE over a .40 every time. That is, as long as it was reliable. I still get leary about rebated rims. Though WESHOOT2 has nothing but excellent results with his .41 AE's.
"You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

-Rorschach
Old 09-29-2008, 10:08 PM

BHP in 41AE

Having a High Power in 41AE might not be such a pipe dream. A BHP 40 cal barrel could be rebored, rifled and chambered in 41AE if the owner and/or smith had a desire to do so. CNC's make such tasks a lot easier than they used to be. There are some truely talented people out there working on projects like that. Try Van Schnieder in Sandusky Ohio. He's done some incredible modifications to BHP's for people living in European countries that can't own military cartridge weapons. As to chosing a 41 over a 40 - I agree, I would always choose the 41AE, in any pistol configuration.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan53 View Post
Having a High Power in 41AE might not be such a pipe dream. A BHP 40 cal barrel could be rebored, rifled and chambered in 41AE if the owner and/or smith had a desire to do so. CNC's make such tasks a lot easier than they used to be. There are some truely talented people out there working on projects like that. Try Van Schnieder in Sandusky Ohio. He's done some incredible modifications to BHP's for people living in European countries that can't own military cartridge weapons. As to chosing a 41 over a 40 - I agree, I would always choose the 41AE, in any pistol configuration.
I'll absolutely try Mr. Schneider once I get a new .40 HP. I plan on getting two .40's but neither will remain in that caliber. One for .41 AE and the other will go to Don Williams at The Action Works for a .357 SIG conversion. My third HP will be a 9. Been way too long since I had to sell my 9mm Practical.

-Rorschach
Old 10-04-2008, 10:09 PM

41 Ae Bhp

It sounds like you'll be making the most of a good situation.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Having a High Power in 41AE might not be such a pipe dream. A BHP 40 cal barrel could be rebored, rifled and chambered in 41AE if the owner and/or smith had a desire to do so. .
Didn't the .41 AE use a rebated head/rim, same size as 9x19 case? (There might then be breechface size issues converting a .40 pistol)
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
Didn't the .41 AE use a rebated head/rim, same size as 9x19 case? (There might then be breechface size issues converting a .40 pistol)
It does but I'm hoping that Van Schnieder fellow has addressed that in some fashion. Probably won't be cheap though. I'm only presuming he has already made a .41 AE off of a .40 HP.

I so want one.

-Rorschach
Old 10-05-2008, 10:51 AM

Van Schneider
1329 First St Sandusky, Oh 44870
419-626-3034
Old 10-05-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Van Schneider
1329 First St Sandusky, Oh 44870
419-626-3034
Thanks for his # & address!!!

I've been going back and forth between what I've been wanting for my next pistol.

.45 XD, Beretta Px4 9mm, Beretta 90-two 9mm, SIG 220 SAO etc, etc. And yes, I could go round and round but for RIGHT NOW, I'm going for a .40 BHP. Then I'll call Mr. Schneider.

I'll eventually become a "practical" fellow as my future .41 AE, .357 SIG and 9mm will all have hard chrome frames, original "practical" sights and Pachmayr wraparounds.

At that point I will probably take turns carrying them as I wouldn't want one to think I loved it more than the others.

And another good point, I'll be saving money on holsters and magazine carriers!

EDIT: Hammers will be Cylinder and Slide and will be HC'd along with the frame, trigger etc.

-Rorschach

Last edited by HiVelSword; 10-05-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I was just thinking. .40 S&W is .400 and .41 AE is .410.

How deep is the rifling of a .40 S&W barrel? Wouldn't it be close to .410? That with the breachface issue seems to me that it makes more sense to start with a 9mm HP. But I'm far from a machining expert so I don't know.

Guess I could always call Mr. Schneider and find out first hand.

-Rorschach
Old 10-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdm25 View Post
My conversion kit has worked fine in the hi-powers that I've tried it in but it is more harsh than a .40 S&W and I have decided to NOT ever use it again.
This is my experience with the conversion also. I remembering shooting the AAL conversion and thinking 'holy cow'!

The BHP's in 40 are great, but that 41AE's barked! At the time I was concerned about the conversion banging up my T-series.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:29 PM

I see your dixcussions about the 41 AE. I have 1200 rds of IMI new brass I would like to sell. Any advice??
Thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjerker View Post
I see your dixcussions about the 41 AE. I have 1200 rds of IMI new brass I would like to sell. Any advice??
Thanks
I have a .41 AE conversion for the Browning HP and need brass. Let me know what you would like to sell them for.

Thanks.

John S. Bentley
804-436-6086

Note: First time user of the 1911 forum.comm