1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 02-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeater View Post
here is the video. I am the fatboy on the left in the dueling tree portion. I am shooting an HK tactical and my buddy chris is shooting a Kimber custom shop 1911. Good video of us at our range facility. Snakeater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-SuOMBJ5uA
I would say on that video that the bowling pins won the event
Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 PM

That is surely true.......the DUDE jerry that is shooting that stage is really good at some things. Bowling pins ain't one of them. LMAO.......Snakeater

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6864.png
Old 02-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeater View Post
That is surely true.......the DUDE jerry that is shooting that stage is really good at some things. Bowling pins ain't one of them. LMAO.......Snakeater
Or reloading or shooting from behind cover Seriously, looks like you guys have a good time! I need make a vid of some of our drills...

Active Duty Community Organizer, Philanthropist
Old 02-18-2008, 08:57 PM

hmmmm corvete or mack truck? Try and conceal any of the USP's
Old 02-18-2008, 09:01 PM

I couldn't disagree more with some of the posts- I consider myself lucky because I own both. In fact, I own 2 usp's, one is a tactical and one is a regular usp. They are bulky weapons when considering using them for concealed carry. However, in a life or death situation, I wouldn't hesitate to grab either one of my usp's instead of my colt gold cup. I have NEVER had a problem with even one round through either of them, and I am constantly using different ammo (due to price variations). They may not be as pretty as my 1911, or as slick- but they are every bit as reliable and worth their price.

The tactical (with o-ring barrel, match trigger, elongated barrel) is extremely accurate.

Skorittnig

"Good enough isn't"
Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 PM

Okay - I'll admit to owning an H&K USP 45 (on this forum?).

I'll also admit to owning more than a dozen 1911 style pistols from 9's to 45', including Kimber, Springfield, Colt, High Standard, Wilson, & L.Baer.To me, the perceived grip girth on either my Para 16/40 or STI Edge is less than on the H&K USP.

Is the accuracy of the USP unparelled? I can't tell because I haven't shot it enough, although the very 1st two rounds I shot out of it left touching holes in the target @ 10 yards. Last time I shot it? Maybe 5 years ago right after I got it.

I'm sorry - I like the single action trigger on the 1911 too much to want to retrain myself on another trigger system. If you're just getting started in the 'game', I can understand your willingness to select the H&K over the 1911. It's kinda like the fact I have 40+ years vested in perfecting my skiing style, and I would want to switch to snowboarding for what reason?

Whether you choose to compete with it in USPSA competitions or IDPA, it will always score minor.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:32 PM

repete I regularly conceal a USP tactical with either a 5.11 vest or shirt throwed over them. With the right holster you can conceal anything. I have a friend who can hide a short barrel shotgun (12" barrel) very easily under a vest. Just takes the right gear and a little attention to detail. Snakeater

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6864.png
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 AM

I have them both. My 1911 is a Kimber Eclipse (and I'm sorry to say I cannot afford to own more than one 1911 at this time, due to funds going towards a match grade rifle), and I have a full size USP. I shoot equally well with both, and yes, the Kimber does have a far better trigger, but I am used to the USP's trigger. The 1911 is more sensitive to maintenance than is the USP, so if I had to have one and it wouold be subject to a fair amount of neglect, it would be the USP. But, none of my guns receive less than the proper love and care, so I am happy to carry my Kimber concealed and leave the USP at home. I love the 1911 like nothing else.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Both are accurate pistols

I currently own a SA TRP Operator and 2 USP 45 (one fullsize, one compact).

All of them are fun to shoot.

The trigger on my TRP Op is WAY better than what is on the USP pistols. The sights on the 1911 are also more precise and she points better than either USP. All of them are accurate with proper practice.

However...

My TRP Operator has needed a couple of repairs where neither USP has suffered any problems. It might be that I shot somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 rounds thru my 1911... in the first year of owning it.

My USPc 45 has about 5,000 rounds thru her right now.

I believe the USP pistols are more durable than my 1911, but my TRP Operator is more accurate and lots more fun to shoot.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:39 AM

you might get some pretty one sided answers, on a 1911 forum. And here's mine: 1911 !!! You might also think about getting a 22lr slide to fit your brand new 1911 - then you can just bypass that whole walther thing...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:02 PM

1911s require more care and attention to ensure reliability than USPs. Like Ken Hackethorn said, "If you treat your pistol like you do your lawnmower, get a Glock." 1911s were not designed to run dry in comparison to USPs. The 1911 is a great pistol in the hands of those that are very familiar with it's idiosyncracies. It's as Larry Vickers says, "for enthusiasts". I'm a 1911 enthusiast that truly appreciates high quality 1911s. Want to test the two side by side? Put 3000 rounds through each pistol without cleaning and lubing and see which one chokes first.

As for concealability, I can make both disappear under a light t-shirt with an IWB holster but the 1911 is flatter. For carry weight, the USP's lighter and after wearing mine for a full day, it's less noticeable for me.

Without using aftermarket mags, you still have more rounds in your mitt with the USP.

And after all is said and done, I still wouldn't hesitate to own the 1911.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:22 PM

Both are undoubtedly good guns but, in my opinion, the 1911 ranks way above it for better ergonomics, follow up, and trigger control. Just to give some insight, I have been shooting the USP 45 Std since 1998 and now exclusively shoot SA 1911 (TRP, MC Operator, and Custom). The USP that I currently have has a LEM trigger installed without the safety and decocker (Variant 7). Do I trust it, yes, but can I shoot well enough with it, yes, but does it handle as well as my 1911, no. Do I trust my 1911, yes - why, they have worked fine out of the box and had no issues yet besides changing out springs in the 47D magazine. Everyone writes about reliability and durability testing, but in truth, most of us will never put it through its paces as do the guys who are actually out there doing the deeds that needs to be done to keep us safe, be it CONUS or not.

I will say that I do not baby my guns, nor are they safe queens. In addition, I do not clean my 1911 after every session. I will at times, just because I maybe lazy, tired or just want to see when it chokes, not clean it for several thousand rounds. I have seen my MC Operator get sluggish when I work the slide but when I shoot it, it goes bang every time.

Darren

Last edited by usmc_dd214_1990; 02-19-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete34 View Post
hmmmm corvete or mack truck? Try and conceal any of the USP's
Humm I speak from 7+ years of experience, and have been CCW with my full size USP .45 strong side pancake 24/7 and have never been made. I have carried in WDW and Universal, rode all the rides, N I have done several high speed body slams on the ice while CCW and it never came out of the holster, N as I said previously the gun is still 100%.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM

H&K makes a fine modern weapon. I have owned 2, one was unreliable the other just great. Everyone makes a lemon now and then, H&K included. I carry a Colt, slender and easy to hide. Mine has been 100% reliable. It is the trigger action that is most important to me. I find it easier to hit what I am aiming at with the safe to carry, single action trigger.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Infamous View Post
hey guys, I am planning on buying a .22 cal and a .45, i chose a walther p22 for my 22lr and for my 45 i am stuck between a 1911 (any 1911 variants) and a HK USP .45

my uses for the gun will be self defense, occasional concealed carry and target shooting (i like an accurate gun)

what do you guys think will be the better choice for me?

thanks!
My advice for a CC gun is to find a Colt Combat Commander ( steel version not the light weight version) and be done with it!

I own several handguns...both Revolvers and Auto's but I have carried my Colt Combat Commander since 1971.

You will never go wrong with a good 1911 pistol. The USP is a great pistol as well. My son has one and it shoots to POA and is very nice but it isn't is a 1911. ( yeah, I'm an old guy with old fashioned ideas )

Good Luck with your decision.
mangaed
Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM

I have both and love both but I carry the PT1911 for reasons of size and reliability. The USP has a hiccup every once in a while but the 1911 goes bang every time. Good Luck.

Sam.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM

Why always either or?

Why are we always having to choose between A and B? What if A and B are both good, but just different? For example, vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

I think the poster should buy both a USP 45 and a 1911, and use them both. I have eight 1911s and two USPs, and can't really say one type is better. They are specialized for different applications, but they all are reliable and accurate. You should have both if you want the complete experience in shooting .45s.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:31 PM

Either is fine, what ever you like better.

Carried both a 1911 and a USP 40.
No complaints with either.

Now you got me thinkin I need another USP, shame on you
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 PM

I also have both

A USP in LH variant and a TRP. I shoot the TRP much better. I haven't seen anyone mention the compact H&K which is a heck of a weapon- my buddies choice for CC.

“It is not that I'm so smart. But I stay with the questions much longer.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 AM

I shot a USP in my quest for a polymer 9mm. I have nothing against the gun in fun factor or functionality, in fact there are some things about it I wish other manufs would do (reversable controls for south paws people, reversable controls!!!!!!), but in the end it just didn't say buy me. The biggest thing I didn't like was the mag release, it was just wierd for me. The gun also felt kinda flimzy to me, I know they are tough cuz hey, its an HK, but it felt like a bb gun to me. When I hold a gun I want to feel like I'm holding a GUN. In the end I bought an XD because it fit my tastes better for a tastier price.

As for your comparison, its really personal preferance, but I'd vote 1911 (suprise 1911forum). On the scale a 1911 may be heavier, but in the hand its the most ballanced gun I've shot, and as I said earlier I like a little heft to a gun. I really like the 1911 trigger, cleaner and crisper than anything else I've expirenced. I also like the mag capacity....that's right I dock points for high cap. I'm probably one of the few out there that doesn't like high cap guns, but they just eat my money too fast and for CCW you won't need 15 rounds or whatever they hold.

I agree with the comment about 1911's being an enthusist's gun, but I'm an enthusist. Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, and SA all make excellent non-1911 firearms that I would make room in my safe for but if you lay them all out on the table plus a 1911 and say pick one, I'm going to pick up the 1911.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post

The USP is a fine gun, and like the other poster said I too will take one over a Glock any day of the week. But the differences between it and a 1911 are purely a matter of personal preference.
Hi, why do you prefer an HK over Glock? I own both, and I'm not trying to start anything. I respect your opinion is all. And I want to pick your thoughts.