1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 AM

Pros & Cons in a bushingless bull barrel for a 5" 1911??

This is my first post and I have a question for you guys. I've shot 1911's multiple times but have never owned one. So I'm not familiar with all the finite differences. I've recently decided to add a 1911 to my rig and after a little research I came across the Springfield TRP Operator, which has all the features and bling I'm looking for.

But,

I'm not familiar with the bushingless bull barrel set up used on the TRP Op. What exactly are the pros and/or cons of this set up rather than the standard bushing?

This will also be my first pistol with adjustable sights. Are the adjustable night sights used on the TRP Op. decent? Meaning, do they hold a set and are trouble free?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 02-09-2008, 02:28 AM

I have two 1911s, one with a full length guide rod and the other is a TRP Op with the bull barrel. The bull barrel take down is a little harder.

I've had no problems with the sights in about 1000rnds. Except that they are a bit sharp. Haven't had to adjust em since I first got it.

You'll be very pleased with the TRP. I know I am.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 AM

I think main difference is that the bull barrel adds more weight to the front of the pistol which should reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip. It must make a real difference because the USPSA does not allow 5" bull barrel pistols in the Single Stack division. The only negative is that it does make them a little harder to field strip. Others will tell you John Browning did not design the 1911 with a bull barrel.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:39 AM

Takedown issues aside (and I've always had to use at least one tool on any 1911 - a bushing wrench) another factor is that with a bushing it can be replaced if it wears, or if the gun has accuracy issues that a new bushing could solve. The lack of a bushing means that neither of these are true.

Now, I don't have any idea how many tens (hundreds?) of thousands of rounds that slide/barrel interface is good for, but once it's worn, it's worn. I do know that many (non-1911) pistols do utilize a replaceable bushing of some type, but many others don't. Hi-Powers, for instance, have one that's press fit into the slide, but it's not considered a "replaceable" part.

-- Sam

Last edited by YosemiteSam357; 02-09-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:18 PM

I don't know how Springfield's lifetime warranty is; however, Wilson stated if accuracy should ever start to decline from shooting so much... whether it's 20 years of shooting or 100s of Ks of rounds or not... they'll fix/ replace whatever is needed under warranty to regain initial accuracy guarantee.

If Springfield feels the same way, then no worries there...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Thank you guys. I appreciate the feedback. I've been asking around and haven't found anything "bad" about this set up. And of course everyone loves the TRP series. I'm going with the TRP Op. and I think I'm going to buy a EMP for my wife to have at home and to carry CCW when we go out.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 02-15-2008, 09:14 AM

I have a Wilson CQB 5" with both bull set up and bushing. The guys at Wilson said the only differences are with less muzzle flip and added weight, other than that, nothing. I have a GI guide rod so take down is actually easier with the bull as you do not have to fuss with a bushing, BUT, I also have a full length guide rode option that can be used with the bull and with this, you have to use a little pesky pin to take the gun apart. This is why I went to the standard guide rod.
I have yet to shoot the bushing setup enough to form an opinion on which setup I prefer.