1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 05-04-2002, 01:23 PM

Pre '64 Winchester or Remington 700 action

Which action is better and why?

(other than parts/accessory availability)
Old 05-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Banned

Well, personal opinion but for an out of the box rifle and not wanting to accurize and true the action. I would take the pre 1964 Action of a Winchester Model 70 over the current production run of Remy 700's.

I recently spoke to 3 smiths and my dealer (who could have sold me either) and I chose the FN SPR with the pre 64 Winchester Action for $800 over the Remy and another $375.00 in tuning and truing.

The Winchester Action also is a Claw fed controlled feed action. A more positive and user friendly 3 position safety.

Again, this is ONLY MY Opinion and not intended to start a Remy/Savage/FN debate or flame anyone.

Karsten

Last edited by Karsten; 05-04-2002 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Banned

I might add that the Winchesters both pre-64 , post 64 and post 94 all have very reliable extractors. Not so with with Remingtion extractor.

The trigger on all Winchesters is exactly the same proven reliable mechanism it has always been. Not so with the Remington. It does not stand up to extreme dirt and freezing temperatures. W.R.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:59 AM

ACtions

Were I going to build a gun, I would have to ask my self what I were going to be doing. If it is sitting at the bench and punching paper all day then I would give the nod to the Remington . If I were going into the bush to do some "hunting" then I would have to vote for the Winchester Pre64. The controled round feed and reliability of it make it the only choice. I own examples of the current USMC and US ARMY sniping systems and they are fine weapons. But I have always felt it was a mistake to use a pushfeed design. There is nothing more frustrating than to have your rifle double feed and fail you in the field. If business were serious then it could be fatal . The Savage however would be my second choice because of their wonderful modified claw extractor.