1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Colt Pony VS Mustang Qs

Okay as I understand, neather of these are made any more, and they are both .380, What are more of the differances between the two, Although I carry a Keltec for hot days, or times when concealing is difficult,
But I would rather have a colt with me instead,
Can anyone here tell the the dimensions of each, and the weights of each,
Is eather one known to be better/more reliable than the other?
Thank you again for your time and expertise,
PB
A christams present for me!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:25 AM

They are about the same size.

There were more Mustangs made , and more variations , such as blued , nickel , stainless-steel , pocketlite , a longer-grip frame model to hold more rounds , and others . The Mustang has a thumb-safety , and is single-action . It has a rondell-hammer , and can have a nice trigger-pull ... The Pony is either stainless-steel (heavy for its size) , or the pocketlite model ( stainless-steel slide / alloy frame ) . The Pony has a bobbed-hammer and is double-action only ( heavy trigger-pull) , no safety ... The magazines are interchangeable , although the extended-length Mustang variations mags might not feed in the Pony , or standard Mustang either , besides sticking out ... The Pony was scaled up into the Pocket Nine , which you might want to consider ...
Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 AM

I stopped packing my Mustang Kel Tec is smaller, lighter, and packs the same 380 . Dosen't look as nice but works just as well.
These little Colts have become collectable and price are going out of sight. I turned down a Nickle Mustang other day Dealer wanted 750 for it. It wasn't more than a 80% gun. No box no papers and non factory grips. He sold it before I left the shop. He had it in store less than 4 hours.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:48 PM

I absolutely LOVE my PONY, DA pull is much nicer than Walthers, and the only other gun I would cary in it's place is a Seecamp.

She has been my main carry for many years, and has never failed me.

I don't have specific dimensions, but I'm sure your Keltec is a little lighter than my all SS Pony.

I only really looked at the Mustang many years ago before I purchased the Pony, and if I recall the Mustang is just a little more cumbersome, with protruding hammer, safety etc.... and there are more of them around...

Here is is over an actual size pic of the EMP

w/ full size 1911

w/ Dick Special

w/ OM 1911