1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 AM

Star 45 PD?

Does anybody here own a Star 45 PD? If you do, what do you think of them for a smaller carry .45? My local gunshop has one that I checked out and I liked it pretty well. What do folks think?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:19 AM

I have never owned a Star 45 PD but they had an excellent reputation in the 1980s. Regards, Richard
Old 12-16-2007, 01:44 AM

Thanks. So far so good.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 AM

Those that have them, tend to keep them.

Jerry
Old 12-16-2007, 11:51 AM

They are good reliable guns if the recoil buffer is in good shape. They have an intregal shock absorber similar to the wilson shock buff as part of the recoil spring assembly. The one I had was reliable until that wore out, then it stoved all the time. At the time (20+ years ago) the only way to fix it was to replace the entire recoil spring assembly. Star had quit making the PD for the firestar and none were available. After a couple years of trying to get one, I traded the pistol. There may be another outlet now or someone making/modifying one that has a way to replace that little piece of plastic. Remember, this was pre internet. Mine was target gun accurate, 2" or better(usually better) @ 25yards, though a heavy recoiler with ball. It also would bite if you got ham handed with it or had large hands.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks, this is excellent info gentlemen.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:06 PM

star firearms
Old 12-16-2007, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the link. It will be helpful.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 AM

I'e bought two in the last 30 years and still have one. You need to replace the recoil spring guide buffer every 500 rounds or so but there is a new source for them now at Hoosier Gun Works. They go for $18.00 for a pack of 20.

20+ PD 45 ACP, RECOIL SPRING GUIDE BUFFER (PLASTIC)
NEW MANUFACTURE
Image NEW 18.00

I'll never get rid of this one. It's a good, dependable carry gun that won't cost you an arm and a leg like my Craig Fanthom.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/catal..._misc_m_z.html
Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 AM
1911 Aficionado

I've had two. The frame cracked on the first one. Both guns were very good, reliable shooters (for all I know, the first one was cracked when I got it, but I never shot it again after discovering the damage). Feather-light, and just the right size for carry. The feed ramp on the first one had been polished, and it was pretty chewed-up. I stuck to Silvertips, and it didn't get any worse. When Star went out of business, and there was no ready source of parts, I sold the good gun, and parted-out the cracked one. The frame is still nailed over my reloading bench. I paid about $350 for each of them, and would be tempted to do so again, if a nice example came along. the early ones had highly-polished blued slides with matching anodized frames, and case-hardened hammers and triggers; they really looked very nice. The finishes got rougher over the years, and they even deleted the fully-adjustable rear sight, toward the end of production.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:40 PM

I have two that I use and one brand new in the box original...very nice gun ...good angle to grip and parts are not that hard to get if you know where to look. Gun is to be carried alot and shot alittle....light weight and goes bang every time.....by the way some people get confused in a split up by the left rail by the slide release...looks like a crack or split but is actually there by design....

Jim Hutch
Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 PM

I bought one around 1983 and still have it. Beautiful little pistol with an excellent finish and adjustable sights so it must be an early one. It cost about $269 new.

I agree with Jim that the PD is to be "carried a lot and shot a little" and he's in good company as that was said by Jeff Cooper in the 80's. Cooper liked this Star but knew it couldn't take much use nor was it much fun to fire being so light.

Mine still is reliable but only has about 500 rounds through it. Magazines are hard to find and it came with only two. You don't want to dry fire it either, they are notorious for broken firing pins due to dry firing. I plead guilty and did break mine. Had to have a new one fabricated as it was impossible to buy one in 2000. Definitely check that the firing pin likely will dent a primer properly. A quick check: put a pencil in the barrel (empty of course!) and point it up and drop the hammer to see if the pencil goes flying out.

A lot of people over the years have wanted to buy mine but I managed to hang on to it. I'm glad I did!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:25 AM

I bought one of the first ones imported into this country by Garcia. It was a great pistol.

I sold it when the Lwt. Officers ACP came out for commonality of parts..

ML
Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Bought one

I bought one a few months ago, based on reputation.
After buying it, I wasn't sure i was going to keep it. The proportions just didn't look right. Finally got to the range and ran a few mags through it. That changed my mind. Great shooter, very controllable. I also shot a Llama Minimax right behind it. That worked fine also, but the PD worked better in the hand for some reason.

Mags and most other parts are available, NOS, from a guy named Jorge who posts on gunboards under the name "Star" (imagine that!). Jorge bought up a lot of inventory when the Basque factories shut down, and he does this is a hobby business. Super nice guy, ships from Spain at a reasonable price.

Star PD buffers - Hoosier is out of stock, and others have said that they are unreliable. You can use Wilson buffers made for the 1911. Good recent - today - post on this in the Spanish Pistols forum on gunboards.

My PD is now part of the permanent collection.

Last edited by Rex B; 12-29-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex B View Post
Mags and most other parts are available, NOS, from a guy named Jorge who posts on gunboards under the name "Star" (imagine that!). Jorge bought up a lot of inventory when the Basque factories shut down, and he does this is a hobby business. Super nice guy, ships from Spain at a reasonable price.
Another source for Star PD mags (among others).
http://www.gun-parts.com/magazines2/
Old 12-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Bought one in the early '90s and enjoyed carrying it. I've had so many guns I can't remember what forced the sale/trade.

Oddly enough, I just checked my holster box and I still have a blued magazine for the old PD. Would be interested in trading it for a GLOCK 19 magazine if anyone is interested. Email me via [email protected] if interested.

That's one gun I wish I had back for sure. Great piece.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM

Ditto on Jorge for parts. I bought two complete recoil assemblies from him, along with other parts. He's a straight-up guy and well thought of on the Gunboards Spanish Pistol forum. Star PD = A+, particularly the earler pistols.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Yes

My hero, Jeff Cooper, said the Star PD 45 was "a pistol to be carried often and shot little." I agree wholeheartedly. I have carried a PD for many years, and what little (1000 rnds) I have shot it, it has never malfunctioned.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:46 AM

Back in the good old days I owned 50 of them and sold then with my ffl. Most of my customers were cops or GIs. I carried one for years until someone took it from my turck. I realy liked mine that is why I found them easy to sell. Small, light and powerful. The aluminum frames were the problem as some went many thousands of rounds with no real wear and others were needing help after just a few thousand rounds. It was pretty much the luckof the draw but more were really good than really bad. Iwish I still had one.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I bought one around 1983 and still have it. Beautiful little pistol with an excellent finish and adjustable sights so it must be an early one. It cost about $269 new.

I agree with Jim that the PD is to be "carried a lot and shot a little" and he's in good company as that was said by Jeff Cooper in the 80's. Cooper liked this Star but knew it couldn't take much use nor was it much fun to fire being so light.

Mine still is reliable but only has about 500 rounds through it. Magazines are hard to find and it came with only two. You don't want to dry fire it either, they are notorious for broken firing pins due to dry firing. I plead guilty and did break mine. Had to have a new one fabricated as it was impossible to buy one in 2000. Definitely check that the firing pin likely will dent a primer properly. A quick check: put a pencil in the barrel (empty of course!) and point it up and drop the hammer to see if the pencil goes flying out.

A lot of people over the years have wanted to buy mine but I managed to hang on to it. I'm glad I did!
Ah, I found the receipt. Bought it 4/30/81 for $269.00.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:38 PM

Here's your chance

There's one on CTD classifieds now.
It's an auction, currently at $200 with reserve not met.
Looks like an individual.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:05 PM

I wish somebody would make a LW CCO pattern pistol with Novak's "The Answer" installed or better yet, just no GS at all. That would be the closest one would get to the good ol' Star PD.

I know I'd buy one! Heck, it'd probably be my most beloved .45 carry gun.
"You see, Doctor, God didn't kill that little girl. Fate didn't butcher her and destiny didn't feed her to those dogs. If God saw what any of us did that night he didn't seem to mind. From then on I knew... God doesn't make the world this way. We do."

-Rorschach
Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex B View Post
There's one on CTD classifieds now. ...
Where is that?

ML
Old 01-05-2009, 10:10 AM

Looks like it's gone

Wait, it's still there:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/freea...97585&Status=1

Seems like I inquired about shipping and got a high quote.

Last edited by Rex B; 01-05-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM

I bought this STAR from a good friend years ago,he is no longer with us R.I.P.

The STAR was stock,I knocked off all the sharp edges and radius the grip/beaver tail area and bobbed the hammer,then sent it off to CCR http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/ for their CERA-HIDE finish.I like it very much,shots great and is easy to tuck away when I need too.
Be Safe,
BRUNO1911

Last edited by BRUNO1911; 01-29-2011 at 10:02 PM.