1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 12-10-2007, 06:56 PM

Heckler & Koch HK45 vs 1911

Hi folks, quick, crazy question, but I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the Heckler & Koch HK45 and how they think it would work in IDPA or IPSC competition, and compared to a 1911 for competition? Again, I'm looking for one gun I can use for competition and to carry off-duty CCW.

I realize that if I want to be national champ I gotta get a 1911 and send it to the smithy and have it tweaked, but I don't have any dreams of being a national champ (couldn't afford it!), I just wanna go out and plink on the weekends and shoot a match every now and then for fun (not that there's a chance that I'd get hooked and wanna start shooting every day, buy more guns, subscribe to every gun magazine! Woops, I'm starting to hyperventilate!).

Just doing my homework before I plop down my dime only to find out I should'a bought a different gun.

Thanks all,
Dan'o :} FNG
Old 12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

It should do pretty well for you. You can either shoot it in Production (minor) or in Limited 10 or Limited Divisions. The trigger pull will probably be the biggest issue for you as it's heavier than most other production guns.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 PM

Thankfully, the new HK45 has a 4.5 pound trigger. It is pretty nice. If someone rigs up a nice 1911 style over travel pin it will be awesome.

http://web.mac.com/timetravelfoundat...HE%20LAMP.html

Keep it sane and vote McCain
Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 PM

H&K is liklier to be trouble free out of the box than a 1911 clone made without benefit of Army inspector. I don't know about the ergonomics of the new model. My USP 45 was reliable and accurate but had a tough trigger pull and a big broad butt.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 PM

From what I've read about the HK45, you can change the trigger to SA only, DA only or DA/SA. I read about it on another 1911 forum and one person mentioned that if you change one of these you qualify for several different classes. Just seemed like it might be something that would give me a lot of different options with shooting classes, then next year, if I wanted and needed, I could get a class specific gun.
Dan'o :}
Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned

I like how low the Hk sits in the hand... much better than the USP or P2000.

It has a far smore streamlined and slimmer profile than other polymer Hk's and this lends itself to fast handling... a feature needed in a defensive handgun.

The magazine is not oversized or too wide. At ten rds, it's appropriate for the platform.

The mag release is still an issue to me but it is definitely workable. All in all, I would still prefer an XD or a Glock but they are getting it.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 AM

I getting the new HK45 this weekend. I do have the USP 45 Tactical. The trigger on it is much better than a regular USP and I have read on another forum that HK will be coming out with a Tactical version of the new HK45. With the grip of their new 45 being slimmer and the bore being lower I'm hoping it will be a good pistol, but I doubt it will replace the 1911 in USPSA due to the lighter weight, shorter 4.4 barrel and a trigger than will likely never be as light and breaking as a 1911.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 PM

I was doing a web search today after reading a HK forum and it appears that there really aren't any holsters yet for this gun, especially for concealed carry, which I would need for IDPA. Any ideas on a holster for the HK45?
Dan'o :}