1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 PM

How much should I pay for a Beretta 92F

Looking for advise. How much should I pay for a used but in very nice condition Beretta 92F with wood grips?
http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImage..._wm_681333.jpg
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic?id...5Fd3Ig=&size=m
And I'm also looking for feedback on this gun. I never owned a Beretta. I'm buying this gun for range purposes only, informal plate shooting at 25 yards. So you guys who have one like that what's your opinion on this gun?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Used? I'm not sure but condition will be the major factor in determining its' value.

New Beretta 92FS pistols go for $450-$550 in my area. You shouldn't pay more than $480 in my opinion. Used I can't imagine going higher than $350-$375 and it would have to be in like new condition before I'd go for it.

Hopefully you are talking about the 92FS instead of the 92F. The 92FS has a stronger slide than the older 92F which was reported to have a slide cracking issue even with a relatively low round count.
Springfield Armory TRP SS .45ACP, Springfield Armory Loaded Champion SS .45ACP, Springfield XD .45ACP Tactical, Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" .44 Magnum, S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum, S&W model 637 .38 Special, Beretta 92FS (M9), Beretta Cougar 8000, Desert Eagle .50AE, Colt LE 6920 AR15, Bushmaster XM-15 E21S (AR-15) Carbine, Romanian WASR-10 RPK 7.62x39mm, Marlin Model 60 .22LR, 2x Remington 870 Magnum Express 12GA, Stoeger Coachgun .12GA Double Barrel, Remington 700ADL 7mm Magnum.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:54 PM

I really appriciate the info. You're right it is a 92F. Here is another link that should work:
http://pictures.aol.com/ap/singleIma...v4xQp5Fd3Ig%3D

So 92f is no good?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:10 PM

The 92F is the one that completely turned me off of Beretta. I was shooting one of them when the slide let go. Evidently it cracked somewhere at the beginning of the series I was shooting. It went unnoticed through the string and the other side also cracked seperating the slide. I'm sure it was a freak happening, but I haven't much cared for them since.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Administrator

The 92FS did not have a beefed up slide. The only difference is an oversized hammer pin that mates with a notch in the bottom of the slide that acts to capture the slide should it break in half. This was at the request of the Army. The fact is very few Beretta 92's have ever broken, and if it really bothers you Beretta will modify the pistol to FS configuration at no charge if you send it in.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk
The 92FS did not have a beefed up slide. The only difference is an oversized hammer pin that mates with a notch in the bottom of the slide that acts to capture the slide should it break in half. This was at the request of the Army. The fact is very few Beretta 92's have ever broken, and if it really bothers you Beretta will modify the pistol to FS configuration at no charge if you send it in.
This is true. I had incorrect information. This thread confirms what you are saying: http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/faq.p...faq_bh_cracked

Incidentally there are models with beefed up slides. That 92F the original poster linked is in damn good condition, but I would only go for it if the price was right. (Obviously.)
Springfield Armory TRP SS .45ACP, Springfield Armory Loaded Champion SS .45ACP, Springfield XD .45ACP Tactical, Ruger Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" .44 Magnum, S&W Model 19 .357 Magnum, S&W model 637 .38 Special, Beretta 92FS (M9), Beretta Cougar 8000, Desert Eagle .50AE, Colt LE 6920 AR15, Bushmaster XM-15 E21S (AR-15) Carbine, Romanian WASR-10 RPK 7.62x39mm, Marlin Model 60 .22LR, 2x Remington 870 Magnum Express 12GA, Stoeger Coachgun .12GA Double Barrel, Remington 700ADL 7mm Magnum.

Last edited by Jack_Stroker; 12-11-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 AM

Here is a photo of what Dana is referring to.
The 92FS has a frame mounted disc (at the end of the hammer pin) that mates with the slide, if you were to encounter a catastrophic failure this disc will stop the slide from departing the frame.
As Dana says, the slides are the same for the 92F and the 92FS
They just have no detent slot (The 92F) cut in the slide because they have no retaining disc installed on the frame.
By the way, these Pachmayr grips are for a 92F gun. I had to modify them to work on the 92FS frame with the retaining disc.

To be proficient with Firearms the endeavor must be applied similarly as in Golf or Boxing, you have to put the Rounds in! - Gerk

Gerk
Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 AM

I`ve seen the Taurus 92 brand new for as low as 375 and they claim to have fixed the Beretta slide issue. Don`t know if it`s true but one dealer told me Taurus improved the Beretta 92.
http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Author Unknown
Old 12-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Taurus uses the same basic slide design as the Beretta, yet I'm not aware of any slide breakage issues with them. The breakage story is actually quite old, and involved mostly the use of +P+ subgun ammo in military pistols as well as a few defective slide batches. The Beretta naysayers would have you believe that hospital emergency rooms across the country are continually inundated by patients with broken slides impaled in their faces, but that's really not the case. I think there have been a lot more incidents of Glocks blowing up in people's hands than Berettas shucking slide chunks, yet that certainly doesn't stop people from buying Glocks!
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM

I have an italian made 92F, and had 3 other 92f's, one of them the M9 variant.

I got rid of all of them EXCEPT the 92f.. It is my keeper. THe slide is like two ice cubes rubbing together, and I can chew the center of of the target like no other. I could not get my groupings as tight with all of the FS models I had.

I would buy a 92f in a heartbeat. The flying slide is alot like the great glock kaboom... ITs the rage on the internet, but very low in reality...

UK
Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Thanks again guys. The price is $350 with the seller paying 1/2 of the shipping cost. I just hate buying guns that I never handled before. I think I'm better of going to a local gun shop and buying a new one for 500 to 600 dollars. What you think?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 PM

Why spend 500-600..

$350 is a good price for that gun IMO.

My local shop does put new berettas on sale at times anywhere from $429-$450..

Personally, if it is just a range gun, I would buy the 92F...

UK
Old 12-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

$350 is fair, I would buy it for that.

The Taurus PT92 slide is cosmetically similar to the Beretta 92, but the metallurgy and dimensions are different. The PT92's slide (and frame) are "beefier" than the Beretta.

As noted, the slide separations were very rare and to my knowledge only occurred in military use. It was not a wide spread problem (as mentioned) and it has been blown WAY out of proportion on the Internet over the years.

The Model 92 existed for a long-long time before the US government adopted it and slide separations were virtually unheard of until that infamous incident with the M9.

It's not something anyone should worry about. Hell, they have the thing firing .40 now and we don't hear about 96's having slide separation issues... you certainly don't have to worry about the 92.

Last edited by full-auto; 12-11-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:26 PM

I love my 92FS. Very smooth shooter. $350 is a good price, and those wood grips look pretty good.

There are only two things that bug me about the design: 1) The safety/decock lever is on the back of the slide. During rapid clearance/failure drills, I often unintentionally engage the safety when racking the slide, thus giving me a mush trigger when I try to fire (maybe a good reason to get and train with serrations on the front of the slide?). 2) If there's a round in the chamber, a fully loaded 15 round factory mag is much harder to seat properly. This usually requires several attempts, and is likely to cause a problem when working under stress.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:45 PM

In your experience, are 92F Italian made Berettas better than American made 92FS and or M9's. By better I mean smoother, better finish ect. Bottom line; what will be the advantage of buying this used Italian made 92f over a new American made 92FS or M9, other than savings of about 100 bucks (after shipping and transfer fees)?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 PM

I used a 92 in the Marines for 4 years. I think it's a good gun. If I had to Conceal carry anything I think that would be it, either that or a ruger P85.

My buddy bought a baretta 96 (.40 cal) THAT thing is tits...flat shooting, small groups at 50 yards, reliable.

As far as the frame cracking, shooting too hot of loads in a 92 is proven to crack the frames. Using the rated ammo I think they have like a 17k round life span.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsrfreedom
In your experience, are 92F Italian made Berettas better than American made 92FS and or M9's. By better I mean smoother, better finish ect. Bottom line; what will be the advantage of buying this used Italian made 92f over a new American made 92FS or M9, other than savings of about 100 bucks (after shipping and transfer fees)?

Yes, better quality, IMHO... Everything the italian line made was all steel (alot of the newer berettas have a bunch of plastic parts (triggers, slide stops, etc)

Much like everything else, manufacturers look at ways to cut cost. Italian Berettas are some of the most sought after (in the beretta line)

Otherwise, no great difference, just a preference. I shot my Italian better than anythign else...
UK
Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator

I am still kicking myself to this day for selling an early Italian-made 92FS. I recently picked up a stainless one that's a great shooter, but I really liked the black one I had.

I don't think US-made guns are inferior in any real way, but it true that the fit and finish on the early Italian ones were first-rate. I took a look at one of the new Italian imports with the plastic small parts, and to me it was no different than the US-made ones. By contrast the early Italian pistols had slide actions that felt like they were riding on greased ball bearings.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 PM

New G&A

There's a good article about accurized Berettas in the new Guns and Ammo. Says the 9mm is now breaking all of the old Camp Perry handgun records previously set with .45's.