1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM

Tough choice on which 1911.....SA Loaded or Kimber Pro Carry II

I'm getting ready to buy my first 1911. After doing lots of research, talking to some 1911 owners, and trying to find a good reliable gun that is still in my price range.....I've narrowed it down to 2 guns.

The Springfield Armory "Loaded" or the Kimber Pro-Carry II.

Both fall into that $650-$750 price range.

I'm to the point now where I'm trying to find details on each gun.....what one has that the other doesn't. Are there any features that are on one gun but not the other?

If you could get one or the other...what would you do?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:48 PM

In the past couple years of selling both brands, my opinion is that the SA's are better made guns right now. I've seen some ugly things from Kimber: parts that have been damaged-a dent in the edge of the grip safety, for instance-and then finished over-and barrels that have a tendency to rust just sitting on the shelf. SA's seem to be attending to detail somewhat better these days.
I'm about ready to dump 1911's all together, but until then I'll take all the "tacticool" "gadgets" "widgets" "do-dads" I can get, you guys can keep your ......Tired old, retro, fat bald guy, has-been guns.-R. Moran
Old 11-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Hold my beer & watch this

Chevy vs. Ford. If you've narrowed it down to those two and and those two alone,I'd simply get the Springfield if you want a full-size or the Kimber if you want the smaller model. They're both excellent handguns. Their websites ought to tell you any significant differences such as sights,weight,dimensions,and the fact that the Kimber has a bull barrel.

Oy. Can we get a separate "Kimber versus Everything" forum?
COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."
Old 11-12-2007, 03:02 PM

What he said.
Both would probably serve you well. I have nothing against Kimber at all, but I lean toward Springfield simply due to personal experince with them.
I don't think either one would be a mistake. Just be sure you understand the difference between the two and know what it is you want.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 PM

I have Kimbers and Springfields. Hands down the Kimbers have a better fit and finish and are more accurate.

The Loaded isn't a bad gun either.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM

SA all the way, SA has incredible customer service, and when you need the CS it is worth its weight in gold
Old 11-12-2007, 06:40 PM

I'm a big Springfield fan. I have a few of their guns and all are awesome. I've never had occaision to take advantage of the customer service but I hear accross the board it is unrivaled.

I believe Kimber uses firing pin safeties on their guns (someone correct me if I'm wrong). While this is not necessarily a bad thing, I don't really care for it. It seems like just a few extra parts that aren't really truly required. The 1911 as designed by JMB already has a grip safety, manual thumb safety, and a half cock notch on the hammer (and a titanium firing pin on the Springer). Adding a firing pin block seems almost obsessive to me.

On that note, I've heard a lot of great things about Kimber, reliable, accurate, and easy on the eyes, but I'm a Springfield guy. I'd agree that both are great guns, though.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM

Its kind of like "how long is a piece of string?" both have good points and bad points.Just individual preferences.One thing I have noticed,reading all the gun rag tests,most Kimbers are crazy accurate at 25 yds.I dont own either one,but would love to get a Springfield Pro.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in OKLA
Its kind of like "how long is a piece of string?" both have good points and bad points.Just individual preferences.One thing I have noticed,reading all the gun rag tests,most Kimbers are crazy accurate at 25 yds.I dont own either one,but would love to get a Springfield Pro.
What are some of the good and bad things about each?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Series II Kimbers:

QC is reported to have really gone in the crapper in the last year or two, and the Swartz safety is a real dog. If one works, it is ok, but the tolerances are fine and there are gunsmiths who will not work on one because they believe it is not safe for a defensive/duty pistol (might not work when needed). Both Ned Christiansen and Hilton Yam have written some pretty serious, well considered, analyses which would keep me from having one, or allowing it as a duty weapon.

The Springfield is more likely to work, less likely to have oopsies in its manufacture, and I have heard awfully good words about their custom shop if you get to the point of knowing more and wanting some custom stuff.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:54 PM

the Springfield Custom Shop is the one of the best custom shops around,problem is,not a lot of people know this,and even consider them when needing work done
Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay45
I have Kimbers and Springfields. Hands down the Kimbers have a better fit and finish and are more accurate.

The Loaded isn't a bad gun either.
Ditto. I own examples of both, including the SA loaded and the Kimber Pro Carry HD II. I prefer the Kimbers overall because they have been more accurate out of the box and the internal finish is noticeably more refined. Have never, ever had a problem with the FP safety or the MIM parts. My main range/competition gun is a Target II Stainless in 9mm (IDPA-ESP) that has over 60K rounds, with some 1k round sessions. My main carry gun is a Kimber Compact CDP. I shoot both a SS Kimber and a SA in IDPA-CDP. In this case, I prefer the SA because it's a custom build and is a bit more accurate than the stock Kimber and has a nicer trigger. However, with equal attention, I have no doubt the Kimber would be at least as accurate and shootable as the SA. Overall, I don't see the need for the FP safety and would rather not have it in my guns. However, its not a deal breaker for me as it is for some.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Banned

Kimber makes mass produced, rarely tested, often flawed moderate quality 1911's. But hey, unlike most other 1911's makers they'll take a production line pistol and stamp "Custom Shop" all over it and the masses will flock to it for some unknown reason.

Just read these forums and any other gun board on the internet and you'll find that 50% of the people will have a negative view of Kimber whilst Springfield is held in much higher regard. Why? Because they not only make a superior product but they also stand behind it... not to mention they won't put "custom" on just any pistol.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 AM

Both are nice, but I personally would opt for the Springer!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:05 AM

What you do with it will be much more important than which one you buy.

Both are good, get one and buy ammo and a range membership. Then practice, forever.

don't fall into the trap of gnashing of teeth over which gun you get. The are both fine handguns.

It just doesn't matter.
NRA Life Member
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 AM

+1 on the SA, I own 3. I'm very pleased with all, and if you do encounter a problem, SA offers topnotch customer service. Customers are reimbursed for freight on all warranty repairs.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Does anyone have experiance with the S&W 1911's? They seem to fall into the same price range at the SA Loaded and the Kimber Pro Carry II. Are they worth looking at?
Old 11-13-2007, 02:30 PM

I have owned three Kimbers, and three SAs. I currently have two SAs and one Kimber compact. The Springfields are: one customized by SA that began as a Champion, and the other is a LW SS Compact. I don't think they make the compact anymore with the 4 inch barrel, and Officers frame.

I much prefer Springfields, mostly due to the superb service that they provide. Their custom shop is great and the folks, like Deb, are the best.

Best,
Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *śRighteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full-auto
Kimber makes mass produced, rarely tested, often flawed moderate quality 1911's. But hey, unlike most other 1911's makers they'll take a production line pistol and stamp "Custom Shop" all over it and the masses will flock to it for some unknown reason.

Just read these forums and any other gun board on the internet and you'll find that 50% of the people will have a negative view of Kimber whilst Springfield is held in much higher regard. Why? Because they not only make a superior product but they also stand behind it... not to mention they won't put "custom" on just any pistol.
Just his unbiased opinion IMHO.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM

Smith & Wesson makes some real nice 1911's I couldnt be happier than I am with mine