1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 10-19-2007, 04:34 PM

RIA Compact disassembly

Alright, its time to clean and inspect this gun and I don't know for sure how to disassemble it.
Its got a full length guide rod, no barrel bushing. I know I have to remove the guide rod, but I don't have a wrench for it.
Would some soft-jaw pliers be a good improvised tool?
Are the threads normal or reverse?
And last but not least, how tight does the guide rod need to be when reassembling?
Thanks in advance,
R.J.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPotts
Alright, its time to clean and inspect this gun and I don't know for sure how to disassemble it.
Its got a full length guide rod, no barrel bushing. I know I have to remove the guide rod, but I don't have a wrench for it.
Would some soft-jaw pliers be a good improvised tool?
Are the threads normal or reverse?
And last but not least, how tight does the guide rod need to be when reassembling?
Thanks in advance,
R.J.
I have one of those, comes apart easily.
First, remove magazine, then unload chamber.
Cock hammer, hook left thumb in trigger guard and push slide back until half-moon notch lines up with slide release, push slide release out from back side and remove.
Pull slide off front of gun.
The guide rod should just lift up and go right over the barrel link, and slide right out. The guide rod bushing is a tight fit in the chin of the slide and might give you trouble, but no tools are needed, maybe some oil. Maybe a wood or plastic stick to help push it out.
Pull the barrel out of front of the slide.

Pretty easy, but the guide rod and its bushing are the only real issues. Like I said, no tools required, but it might take some fiddling to develop your own best technique. Do it a couple of times and then you can do it with your eyes closed. No threads anywhere that I know of.

Last edited by rondawg; 10-19-2007 at 05:39 PM.