1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM

Is a Colt 1911 45 acp worth the price?

I currently own a Glock 17 (9mm) and a XD (45 acp). Is a Colt 1911 45 acp really worth the price? Is the quality that much better? Any input would be appreciated.

Hoguemeister
Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Having owned most Glocks I can say, yes, Colt is better, but expensive???? I bought a new Commander a couple months ago for $750 out the door from a local gun shop so I could look at it and the only change I made was to change out the nice double diamond wood grips for some nice $10 ones plastic ones. After 700 rounds it has run 100% out of the box with the four or five ammo types I have put through it. It has a nice trigger. It has a thumb, grip, and firing pin safety. I am happier with this than any Glock I ever bought.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM

Thank you for the quick response. So, in your opinion, Colt still has the quality it had in years gone by and will probably have a higher resell value?
Now, all I need to find is someone willing to talk trade.

Hoguemeister
Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Colts keep their resale value better than any other brand of 1911 based on my limited observations. I think it's a stretch to to say they're still as good as they used to be back in the 1960's and prior, but they're certainly better now than they were in the 1970's through 1990's.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoguemeister
Thank you for the quick response. So, in your opinion, Colt still has the quality it had in years gone by and will probably have a higher resell value?

Hoguemeister

Hogue:

What are you looking for in a Colt that is not being provided by your current Glock and/or XD?

I have 11 or 12 1911s, and eight of them are Colts, ranging from an early 1911 to a 1911 WW1 repro, with some Series 70, Series 80, and Defenders thrown in the middle. I'm very satisfied with every one of them. I also own an XD45 ACP and like it for different reasons.

Noah
Old 10-01-2007, 03:22 PM

I have loved the assorted 1911 variants since my first Series 70 Gold Cup in 1982...

That being said the XD45 is also one nice pistol, remarkably slim for a 13+1 automatic...

You will have to make the call yourself, but, my advice...buy both, and decide yourself to use both! :-)
Old 10-01-2007, 03:35 PM

In my opinion yup, and S&W and Kimber are not bad either, although I like Colt.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Hoguemeister
My 2 cents from someone who has owned several Glocks and 1911s for a number of years. No XDs.

It would help if you gave us a little more info. Is this for target use, self defense, investment or to carry. Also a Colt 1911 can range from a 50+ year old collectible to a new in the box version. As has already been stated the quality did vary over the years. My Colt Defender (bought new last year)replaced my Glock 27 as my favorite carry gun but that does not mean I sold it or my other Glocks to buy more 1911's. Also I can't say it is better just different.

My wife who does not practice or train near enough and never cleans her gun between range trips still carries a Glock 19 and I would not recommend she change. I know that she is not going to forget about the safety if she is under stress and lint from her carry purse would probably have less effect on the functioning of a Glock because of the looser tolerances than a 1911.

Also have you shot a 1911? It makes sense to do so before doing anything. You will take a hit if you trade and you don't want to regret your decision.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM

Oddly enough, my wife has a S&W 469 (9 mm) she bought back in 84 and still carries and loves. She shoots it a couple times a year. I clean it. She pulls it out of her purse and Qtips and hairpins fall off, but it always will go bang. I take it out and shoot it a couple times a year and do not like it. I think it has a worse blast when fired than my Colt Defender.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I currently own a Glock 17 (9mm) and a XD (45 acp). Is a Colt 1911 45 acp really worth the price? Is the quality that much better? Any input would be appreciated.

Hoguemeister
Colt and Glock are hard to compare. For me it's sort of like comparing Harley-Davidson motorcycles to Japanese super-bikes. Either one of them will get the job done, but Harley and Colt possess a spirit that only timeless classics can. Frankly, I carry a Glock daily ... but only because I don't worry so much about it getting beat up in transit or stolen from my car. However when it comes to fully embracing the sport and art of the shooting experience, there's nothing like a 1911 ... especially Colt products.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 AM

Colt 1911 Worth the Price?

Durn tootin!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHRoss
Colt and Glock are hard to compare. For me it's sort of like comparing Harley-Davidson motorcycles to Japanese super-bikes. Either one of them will get the job done, but Harley and Colt possess a spirit that only timeless classics can.
Wow. That was really well put!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:14 PM

I own five Glocks and they are reliable, dependable, accurate, easy to maintain and repair just as my Colt Series 70 Government Models are. The big difference for me is the Colt trigger and concealed carry characteristics of the Colts - in addition to other hard to define characteristics of the Colts that I really love.

These are my Series 70 Colts - top one made in 1970 and bottom one in 2006. Other than the color of the trigger, there's not a nickel's worth of difference in workmanship or quality or anything - identical twins, so to speak. I alternate weeks carrying one of them.

I paid $800 for top one and $900 for newer one - both well worth the price and more. Only mods are Gunsite Low Mount Thumb Safeties, King's Hardballer Sights, flat MSH, and the original now has a solid bushing. Can't tell any difference in accuracy or shooting them if I don't look at the trigger color to see which one I'm shooting.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Look at a Colt as an investment and glocks as shooters. There are better 1911's on the market than colts for the price as shooters.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM

Colts are #1
Old 10-04-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue sea
Look at a Colt as an investment and glocks as shooters. There are better 1911's on the market than colts for the price as shooters.

Really? Do you care to name which 1911s are at or close to the same price as a Colt that are better? For example, you can buy a 1991 NRM Stainless Colt for $731 delivered. Is there something better out there for that price?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR
Really? Do you care to name which 1911s are at or close to the same price as a Colt that are better? For example, you can buy a 1991 NRM Stainless Colt for $731 delivered. Is there something better out there for that price?

I agree!!! I bought my Defender because it has the most satisfied owners of any compact I researched. I consider it a better value than anything from Kimber, Springfield or Para.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Is a Colt 1911 45 acp really worth the price?
In a nutshell no. Note when compared to other makes of 1911's.

I own and shoot several 1911's and Glocks. I think that certain makes are better in certain models(for instance a Kimber series 1 is better that getting a seriesII). But when compared to other makes like Springfield and even the bargain basement Rock Islands 1911 the Colt is overpriced.

Clint Eastwwod
(Unforgiven)
Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJK
I own five Glocks and they are reliable, dependable, accurate, easy to maintain and repair just as my Colt Series 70 Government Models are. The big difference for me is the Colt trigger and concealed carry characteristics of the Colts - in addition to other hard to define characteristics of the Colts that I really love.

These are my Series 70 Colts - top one made in 1970 and bottom one in 2006. Other than the color of the trigger, there's not a nickel's worth of difference in workmanship or quality or anything - identical twins, so to speak. I alternate weeks carrying one of them.

I paid $800 for top one and $900 for newer one - both well worth the price and more. Only mods are Gunsite Low Mount Thumb Safeties, King's Hardballer Sights, flat MSH, and the original now has a solid bushing. Can't tell any difference in accuracy or shooting them if I don't look at the trigger color to see which one I'm shooting.

Those are a couple of very nice colts. I have 2 custom 1911's on is a caspian top end on a STI frame and the other is a 1991 built and I love them both. My gun smith has a series 70 commander he is finally going to sell me. I have had a number of different autos but the 1911 is by far my favorite. You will not go wrong with any quality brand you decide to buy. But a colt is a colt.
Attached Thumbnails
Caspian-STI1.jpg   1991.jpg  
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 AM

I have 3 Colts(they go bang everytime)-it is hard to put into words why I am a Colt loyalist. Pride of ownership is one. I agree with several of the other posts,if you have to sell a Colt(not one hacked up),you may not make money,but you certainly won't take a loss as big as selling some of the other brands.In my area,the true gun shops can get you a Colt-most don't stock them.Many shops will try to sell you brand xx,saying how much better they are than Colt.But you can go back to that same shop and see a used Colt that they took in on a trade-the price is jacked up-you ask about the price and they will say "it's a Colt". All 3 of mine make me smile everytime I handle them.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird94
All 3 of mine make me smile everytime I handle them.
Badbird nailed it. I own many guns of various manufacturers ... but none of them make me smile like my Colts do when I pick them up. If any of you don't experience a similar emotion, you're probably dialed into the wrong forum.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colubrid
In a nutshell no. Note when compared to other makes of 1911's.

I own and shoot several 1911's and Glocks. I think that certain makes are better in certain models(for instance a Kimber series 1 is better that getting a seriesII). But when compared to other makes like Springfield and even the bargain basement Rock Islands 1911 the Colt is overpriced.
You would actually compare a Colt to a RIA?
Colt: all forged VERY few MIM parts, nicely finished, American made, high resale value
RIA: cheap cast steel, many MIM parts, poor fit and finish, made in the Phillipines, no resale value.

Last edited by 45caldan; 10-06-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHRoss
Badbirdnone of them make me smile like my Colts do when I pick them up. If any of you don't experience a similar emotion, you're probably dialed into the wrong forum.
Could not have said that any better. Something about having a Colt in the hand. I am sure it is a mental thing but it is real.....
Old 10-06-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45caldan
You would actually compare a Colt to a RIA?
Colt: all forged VERY few MIM parts, nicely finished, American made, high resale value
RIA: cheap cast steel, many MIM parts, poor fit and finish, made in the Phillipines, no resale value.

Yes and I will tell you why. At least the RIA has more quality control even though it has more MIM parts. Colt still uses MIM so I guess it all a matter of what breaks first. But if the new gun you receive is not what it should be then who cares about MIM. Now add the fact that a new RIA cost about $329/ .That is a real distinct difference for what you are paying for a NAME on the side of a gun. IMO if its worth paying the extra $600 to $1000 diffference to you then I guiess I am at a loss.

But I do agree with you on resale value.

Clint Eastwwod
(Unforgiven)
Old 10-07-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colubrid
Yes and I will tell you why. At least the RIA has more quality control even though it has more MIM parts. Colt still uses MIM so I guess it all a matter of what breaks first. But if the new gun you receive is not what it should be then who cares about MIM. Now add the fact that a new RIA cost about $329/ .That is a real distinct difference for what you are paying for a NAME on the side of a gun. IMO if its worth paying the extra $600 to $1000 diffference to you then I guiess I am at a loss.

But I do agree with you on resale value.
$600-$1000 difference? Your math is lacking (guess you're at a loss)....a new Colt 1991 (with a NICE blue finish) can be had for ~$700.
Quality control better on RIA....give me a break.

Last edited by 45caldan; 10-07-2007 at 08:16 AM.