Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

View Poll Results: How do you carry?
Unchambered 312 6.42%
Chambered with hammer back and safety engaged 4,284 88.13%
Chambered with hammer down 265 5.45%
Voters: 4861. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:26 PM

I've used the 1911 now for nearly 39 years. Carried it Beirut as a Navy Corpsman, and in Israel during my tour with the IDF. It's also my primary concealed carry weapon now, and has been since I obtained my ccw in the 80's.

A 1911 is not for the novice or noobies. In all the time I've carried it, I've never had an accidental discharge, or had a safety slip off.

If you are carrying your 1911 with an empty chamber and loaded magazine, it takes precious seconds to load it, seconds you most definately NOT have to spare as most likely the armed suspect is coming at you with a LOADED weapon. In addition to that, you have to factor in the adrenaline rush from the confrontation, this isn't going to be your casual range shoot where you may draw your weapon, rack the slide and chamber a round and be nice and cool, this is where you have a BG, armed, coming at you with every intention of killing you and your loved ones, your adrenaline kicks in, you'll be lucky enough to simply hold on to your weapon, much less hold it and chamber a round.

If your worried about women and children being hurt by your weapon, that sort of speaks to your lack of training and inexperience. Many gun owners have a "loading pit", ie: a sand filled barrel you point the muzzle into and chamber a round, engage the safety and holster the weapon.

If your not comfortable with the 1911 platform, there is the Smith & Wesson and Beretta platforms where you can safely chamber a round with the safety down thereby safely lowering the hammer as you chamber a round. By far though, for most is the revolver where you simply close the cylender and holser it.

Remember, no weapon will fire unless the trigger is pulled, which is why you train yourself never to put your finger in the trigger guard until your ready to fire.

In addition, the 1911 has several safety to prevent the trigger being pulled accidentaly.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned

whatever

Last edited by wyatt earp; 05-08-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned

Sousana summed it up best...I didn't read all the post... 1911 condition one

Wyatt,.... wanna hear bad stories about gunfights?....Everyone is different! Avoid at ALL cost.!!! PM if you want details.(i probably won't give many)
Old 05-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Banned

whatever

Last edited by wyatt earp; 05-08-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt earp View Post
Wyatt,.... wanna hear bad stories about gunfights?....Everyone is different! Avoid at ALL cost.!!! QUOTE]

I agree w/avoiding, shouldn't any civilian?

So how is 'ready to fire at all times', avoiding at all cost?

In a S/D occurance, speed is your friend. Having to rack the slide is one second you don't have. Having to pull thru a thumb strap MAYBE is one second you don't have. Please trust me ... it happens FAST!!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

I can only speak from experience......and "Ready Or Not" the sh_t hits the fan and you find your self in a situation you've only read about, with your mind going about as fast as the national debt register.

The idea is to immeadiately sum up the situation, stay calm and get it straight in your head...what has to be done now.

Training didn't do it for me as much as I was mentally prepaired and knew I was ready to wage violence in the next moment if necessary.

A decision on my part made in a split second and was approved mentally to act that fast. I knew I was in real trouble and at close quarters. Your equipment must be ready to react that fast also......immeadiately.

This idea of BG's telegraphing their behavior and bad intentions giving us all the time to react is BS...........most of the time, it just doesn't happen that way. Use good common sense. Your set-up should be such that you can react instantiously........I continue to strive to make Accessability and my apparel my major concern........You Only Need Be There Once....and you'll get the picture.

Last edited by xXxtreme; 05-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxtreme View Post
This idea of BG's telegraphing their behavior and bad intentions giving us all the time to react is BS...........most of the time, it just doesn't happen that way.
Amen brother! One time I was jumped and was on the ground before I ever thought about drawing. Thank God things worked out in my favor.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 PM

in C1 , what if the sear failed or on the brink of failure?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Primary sear notch failure should have the half-cock notch arrest the hammer in question prior to discharge...

(On a Series 80, would be irrelevant anyway, as the firing pin block would prevent the FP from moving very far, even if struck...)
Old 05-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
Primary sear notch failure should have the half-cock notch arrest the hammer in question prior to discharge...

(On a Series 80, would be irrelevant anyway, as the firing pin block would prevent the FP from moving very far, even if struck...)
thanks for that helpful piece of info as i always need to be in C1 and i don't want to see myself bleeding because of it.

edit:

what's the simplest way to check or tell if sear is about to fail?

Last edited by Dream Catcher; 05-12-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Wow.
15 pages of whether or not to carry Condition 1. Simply Amazing.

A couple of points.
1. Carry how you want--but Condition 1 is what the weapon was designed for. Period. End of story. To do otherwise is wrong. Trying to convince yourself that it is right is juvenile. If you cant grasp this, I would say that the 1911 is not the best choice for you, and move on to a different gun for defensive purposes.

2. You can what if life to death, or you can live it. What if I get struck by a meteor as I type this? You have about the same odds of that happening as you do of having a problem carrying Condition 1. Follow the 4 rules and you wont have problems.

3. The Beretta M9 has a decocker, not a safety. It is a double action pistol, therefore negating the need for a thumb safety. If you use it as a safety--youre wrong. This BS is propagated in the military all too often. It is NOT a safety.

4. Glocks are as safe as anythign else--so long as you keep your finger off the trigger. There are very, VERY few "accidents" with glocks. See the 4 rules. And pay attention to what youre doing.

There are few subjects that get my dander up as much as this one. Do it right, or dont do it. If youre not comfortable with the right way, find another gun.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 PM

New to Carrying

First, I was shocked to see that almost 90% of the responders carry hammer back!

I have been carrying daily for only about 3 months. I was glad to find this thread. I carry chambered with hammer down on a Kimber double action. I practice firing without puliing the trigger back for the first round. For me, this state of readiness is an acceptable risk compared to carrying con1, hammer back. Galco Holsters information with thier holsters states that you are NOT to carry your gun with hammer back if you have a holster with a thumstrap. This is due to some straps hit the safety at the right point to where it can disengage it. I carry open top IWB and slide belt hip holster and have never come close to losing a gun.
I am swapping the nano seconds it takes to not having the trigger back as compared to the risk of the safety releasing and the hammer dropping. Its a personal choice for you level of risk.
This thread started long ago so how are you carrying today?
Jim
Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilbun View Post
First, I was shocked to see that almost 90% of the responders carry hammer back!

I have been carrying daily for only about 3 months. I was glad to find this thread. I carry chambered with hammer down on a Kimber double action.
Jim
WHAT Kimber are you carrying?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:34 PM

Wow! It is awesome reading threads from true war heroes!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70 View Post
Wow! It is awesome reading threads from true war heroes!
Such sarcasm is refreshing from one who's most likely free to be so sarcastic due to sacrifices by "true war heroes". And to clarify the meaning of true war hero, it's anyone who's served in the military during a time of war, or conflict. Paintball and lasertag don't count.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Son... I served in WWII and Vietman, and shed blood for you. You better learn who you're talking to before you talk.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-70 View Post
Son... I served in WWII and Vietman, and shed blood for you. You better learn who you're talking to before you talk.
Be that the case, then I salute you as a fellow soldier, though my comment on the sarcasm still stands.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Yes, that be the case. The commen't was an inside joke for a friend or mine. Not directed towards you, Sir, or Ms. , whitchever you are Sousana
Old 05-26-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilbun View Post

I have been carrying daily for only about 3 months. I was glad to find this thread. I carry chambered with hammer down on a Kimber double action. I practice firing without puliing the trigger back for the first round. For me, this state of readiness is an acceptable risk compared to carrying con1, hammer back. Galco Holsters information with thier holsters states that you are NOT to carry your gun with hammer back if you have a holster with a thumstrap. This is due to some straps hit the safety at the right point to where it can disengage it. I carry open top IWB and slide belt hip holster and have never come close to losing a gun.
I am swapping the nano seconds it takes to not having the trigger back as compared to the risk of the safety releasing and the hammer dropping. Its a personal choice for you level of risk.
This thread started long ago so how are you carrying today?
Jim
Is this the same "Double Action" Kimber you had your negligent discharge with? Please tell me you don't live and carry in Minnesota because I have family and friends around here I don't want getting hurt.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Condition 1 on all my 1911's
Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM

My Colt Officer's Model is my defense gun at home and it is 'cocked and locked' with 2 spare magazines close by.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:33 PM

Condition 1 - except for my bedside pistol, which has an empty chamber.

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 06-21-2009, 09:18 PM

C1 on a 1911

I started my concealed carry with a Glock 19 and was always a little nervous without having what I consider a true safety.. So after my first 1911 and now a addiction, I do not own a Glock and only carry my 1911 C1..I have a safety and a grip safety, and the design thats proven over many years to back it up. I am not picking on any manufacturer but alot of those black plastic pistols made today that takes only a slight trigger pull to put one down range, doesnt compare to the safety engineered in a 1911..
Old 06-21-2009, 10:52 PM

Cocked and Locked! ( cond. 1) It's the only way to deploy a 1911 with one hand SAFELY!

99% of the defensive situations will leave you wishing you had more time and hands ( as well as nerves, cover and ammo ).
Old 06-28-2009, 01:41 PM

Cocked and Locked...
Closed Thread