1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-14-2007, 11:53 PM

What I have heard from long range benchrest shooters is that rain will open groups up a little. What truth there is to that I cant say. To them though a little is a lot more precise than I can shoot. I also remember hearing that the little .17HMR shows a vast opening of a group when shot in a decent rain. Here the thought behind it was that the little bullet was pushed off course by the rain much easier than a heavy bullet. Again I have no proof to back any of these claims up but it was what I have seen written. It could just be shooters not paying as much attention and needing something to blame group size on.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 AM

I saw some video on a site called dogbgone, its a varmint hunting site that has all sorts of vids on exploding little mammals from far away. One of the guys was shooting a suped up 220 swift loaded upward of 4000 fps, and had some snazzy camera gear, and you could see the bullet in flight, frame by frame, to target and it looked like a commet with the "shockwave" around the bullet in flight. just my .02, but for anything other than a BR guy, it would be minimal, unless thats your bag or just curious.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 AM

we used to have to qualify in all kinds of weather. we shot outside, and the date was set a month in advance so there was no changing it. besides, the range master always said " you can get in a gun fight on a ****ty day too!"

every now and then you could see a "puff" downrange, but our accuracy was never noticably different.

russel
SDMF