1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 03-27-2007, 10:02 PM

Shooters Arms Military Pistol, Cal. .45 ACP

Has anyone had any experience with these from Century? Are they a true 1911 clone? I was thinking of a cheap beater 1911 so I could let my Kimber rest a bit from time to time.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:15 AM

Its made in the Philippines, but not by Armscor. Its been noted that the slide are forged not cast, but I can't verify that and ' really don't care. It has a rougher finish than the Armscor guns, based on the ones I've handled at the shows.
There are two poster's here, IIRC, that owns one and had some favorable comments on it.
And, yes, its a series 70 1911 design. They also offer a widebody model.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:40 PM

I saw a few Century Arms imported SAM 5" 1911 at last week's gun show for $300. Definitely rougher than the RIA.

IMHO get the new RIA "Tactical" and may not be able to tell it from your Kimber with your eyes closed. These run a bit under $400 here.

--wally.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Yes Bro, SAM slides and barrels are machined from 4140 steel billet, while Frame and other parts are investment cast 4140. I have two units of SAM, an Scout model (1911-9mm commander model) and Military .45 fullsize Govít model. both shoot well and reliably out of the box but Sam magazines is inferior are made of soft sheet metal that deforms easily and I have replaced them with two chip mc cormick mag (8 rounds)
Old 04-21-2007, 03:42 PM

I picked up a shooters arms SAM-1911 Military .45 ACP a couple days ago (distributed by Century Arms), and for a brand that I knew nothing about, I have to say its the best handgun I've ever used out of the box with all stock equipment...

Out of 300rds., not 1 jam (tried 3 different brands of ammo, 1 box of cheapies, no jam, and 2 boxes of decent stuff, no jams). Accurate as hell even shooting from all sorts of stances and angles.

I ditched my Ruger P345 after only owning it for a month last year, as it was too compact, jammed frequently, and felt like a toy.... And I was shocked to see a colt-1911 clone from a rather unknown company actually outperform a much-respected pistol like the Ruger's. The P345 was very attractive, but fired like crap... no matter what clip or ammo I used.

The style of the SAM-1911 cought my attention... very rugged, very classic combat look, no frill or unneeded b.s.... perfect weight, great feel... I was comapring it to a Taurus 45 (24 7 i think) they had which actually resembled the ruger i used to own, and was in the same price range. The only thing I can't get past is how the hand grips look... very basic and kinda plastic feeling. a definitive upgrade thats needed... thats probably the only complaint with the gun... but a cheapy upgrade

I paid $415 for the SAM-1911, and $400 for the ruger p345 over a year ago (both brand new)... and I have to say I should have picked up a 1911A1 long before that ruger (though im sure theres better rugers, but for my first, it was a letdown)

I'd heard some complaints about the clip... but didnt experience any severe loading issues with it. I do recommended getting an extra clip, but the one that came with it isn't bad (though I can't seem to fit a 7th round in there, though I swore the guy told me it could hold 7rds.). It'd be nice if they had dropped in a extra clip, but no biggie.

The only other thing is the case it comes with... blah... cheapy case, but then again, your not shooting the case, and the gun is what truly matters. I'll just pickup a better case from a flea market or somethin someday.

But the gun is simply stunning. A grade-A .45 ACP model 1911, pure military grade, extremely durable. No complaints other than a couple minors, and definetely one of the better in its league... very serious looking and handles like a beauty.

I can definetely say that I'll pay more attention to Shooters Arms(SAM) guns in the future, and that Century Arms International distributed a a great gun.

Worth every penny

Btw, it seems like this gun is the perfect mod-gun... anyone have any recommendations on upgrades or such? I know a clip and some hand grips, but anything else? I think its awesome out the box, but I want to see just how far I can push it

Last edited by beavermatic; 04-21-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_666
I saw a few Century Arms imported SAM 5" 1911 at last week's gun show for $300. Definitely rougher than the RIA.

IMHO get the new RIA "Tactical" and may not be able to tell it from your Kimber with your eyes closed. These run a bit under $400 here.

--wally.
did ya buy it??? that is a great deal IMHO.

ok, i too own the SAM GI aprox 500 rds thru it only use 230gr FMJ like Saint JMB intended. 'not one malfunction. the FFL that ordered it for me threw in an extra mag, GI. it was $301 OTD in 2003. except for the markings it looks just as good as my Colt 1991. i only put a patch thru the bore, prior to shooting, and thats it. it has worked great, the SAM mag has worked great, the shooter malfunctions

i can no longer shoot well due to physical reasons. a hit on a paper plate at 10 yds i call a flyer...ya i am that bad now. i am at the stage were if i can throw wome lead down range i am happy. so i cannot attest to the guns accuracy.

i highly reccomend SAM's if you don't like it, you can always sell or trade for another.