1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 03-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Which is more likely to cause hammer follow?

a lightened sear spring? or a lightened hammer spring? On my FN Mk III, I thought I had the trigger pull just the way I wanted it. I had polished all contact points(did NOT touch sear/hammer); I lightened the pressure on the sear spring; I left in the stock 32# hammer spring because I felt that the lightened sear spring and a 26# hammer spring I had tried had taken some crispness out of the sear release. At the range today, I had the hammer follow 2 times to half-cock in about 200 rounds. When I cleaned the pistol, I took out the sear spring and bent it to put more pressure on the sear. Now the trigger seems a little too heavy again. My question is this: would the Mk III with a stock bend in the sear spring and a 26# hammer spring be less likely to cause hammer follow than a lightened sear spring with a 32# hammer spring. I know I am walking a fine line here with spring pressures. I was just wondering which avenue tended to be more likely to cause/prevent hammer follow. Thanks. This is a great BHP forum!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Banned

the overly lightened sear spring is your problem. springs really arent the best way to go about a "trigger job". to get a nice clean break at a reasonable pull weight really requires that the sear and hammer engagement surfaces be re-cut.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 PM

The issue is one of balance. The more mass you have in the firing system, the more pressure you need to hold everything in place so that the hammer does not follow. It is relatively easy to get a 3lb. trigger with good parts and even some factory parts. To go lower requires a lot of work and a much higher quality set of parts, such as C&S. The weight of the mainspring (hammer spring) is not as crucial as the nose of the sear and the hammer hooks begin matchee perfectly. If you have this, you can get a 17 lbs mainspring to cap off the rounds. I never use anything heavier than a 19 lb. mainspring in my guns. The key to the actual weight of the trigger pull is mainly in the sear spring.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:53 PM

Thank you for the responses. I've put in the 26# hammer spring with the sear spring bent to be pretty stiff. The trigger pull lightened somewhat but as before it has more creep. To get a really good trigger, I guess I'm going to have to do something with the hammer/sear. What would be better a C&S hammer/sear set or to have a gunsmith rework the stock FN hammer/sear? I'm lucky to live within driving distance of EGW--I assume they would get the hammer/sear the way it should be.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:56 PM

FWIW, BDavis is referencing 1911 mainspring weights - not BHP as you asked about altho the principle of achieving a creep-free, lightened break is the same.

If you're close by EGW, I'd go with them...if George doesn't think the stock parts are up to it, he'll let you know.

/Bryan
Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

anything lighter than a 26# mainspring in a hipower will typically begin to give failure to fire issues. how a 1911 is sprung does not correlate to what will work in a hi power.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 PM

deleted.

!!!

Last edited by chesster; 03-21-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Wrong post - Sorry Old timers creepin in on me...