1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Para USA

Old 04-03-2002, 09:12 PM

Para Ordnance

I have a P13-45 that I have about 2000 rounds through since purchased in January. I am looking for a good discription of how to break down the gun for thorough cleaning and reassembly. I have a friend who has done this but I think it is assembled incorrectly. One of the little levers that I can't identify because I can't get a decent print out of the parts, is now caught on the inside of the trigger. So what happens is that when I try to insert a magazine it catches on this lever. What do I do. And where can I get the diagrams I need. I shoot IDPA and have a competition next Thursday. Sooo! I know I sound like a dumb ass but you gotta start somewhere. I really like this gun it is a real shooter and I am real upset that it's messed up. Thanks for your help.

Paul
Old 04-03-2002, 10:37 PM

I would try

The Para website, which had a downloadable/printable exploded diagram.

Is the "lever" you say is caught in the trigger perhaps the three-fingered spring (sear/trigger bow/grip safety) under the mainspring housing? These fingers should be OUTSIDE the trigger bow; not underneath it, if such is the case.

I would also run a web search using 1911 and Colt. I did one a couple of months ago and found a website that had not just the diagram, but the entire, original government manual on it. Just the thing for learning how to shoot a 1911 from horseback!!

GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-03-2002, 11:53 PM

ppalumbo,

You can find 1911 disassembly instructions here:

- John Caradimas' m1911.org has an excellent page on it. The animated gif at the bottom of the page is especially helpful for understanding how the trigger parts work as a unit.

- Marstar has info for non-Series 80 1911.

You might also find this page helpful. It has excellent photos and instructions for the field stripping, cleaning and reassembly of a Para P14.45.

If you need more help, I would suggest picking up a copy of Bill Wilson's 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:25 AM

Paul:

Check out http://www.m1911.org/full_partname.htm for an exploded diagram. I'll bet that the lever that extends into the mag well is the trigger bar lever (part #52) of the Series 80 safety. Been there, done that . If the shorter leg of the lever is installed pointing downward towards the trigger bar it ends up in front of the trigger bar and extends into the mag. Detail strip the pistol and make sure that the longer leg rests on the trigger bar. The 1911.org site has a good set of instructions on detail stripping the pistol. Good Luck!

HC
Old 04-04-2002, 06:13 PM

Thanks for all the help!! You guys are really great. I have been discouraged about all this as Para and others don't really want you getting inside this thing. So I am partly scared and partly baffled by their position. I shoot alot. I've owned the gun since January and have put close to 2000 round through it. I know that it's not alot for some people but I know there are folks out there that won't do that in a lifetime. Any way!! The only other thing that I need to know is does the Para P13-45 identically replicate the parts and position as the original 1911? thanks again for all the help. It's been a refreshing turn of events.

Paul
Old 04-04-2002, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ppalumbo
... The only other thing that I need to know is does the Para P13-45 identically replicate the parts and position as the original 1911?...
Yes, except for 4 extra parts that's Colt Series 80 Firing Pin safety. They are the firing pin plunger, firing pin plunger spring, the trigger level bar(sear lever), and the FP plunger lever.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:23 AM

I highly recommend 'Wilson Combat 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual' for excellent tutorial on care and maintenance of 1911s, whether 80-series or pre-80. Excellent photo details of each step in disassembly and assembly.

Visit the Wilson Combat site for the sales telephone number and order by telephone.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I have gotten it back together and it is shooting real good now.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:55 PM

I know this thread is old, but I found this site last night when I stripped my P-13 down to clean it out really well. I watched a few of the pieces fall out of the trigger assembly & thought I was never going to get it all back together on my own. Thanks to this site and the folks who have participated by posting links to videos & such, I was able to get it all back together.

Like the OP, I too had about 2000 rounds through it without ever doing a deep clean (guts of the slide & the frame). The extractor & firing pin were nasty! Thanks again for having this site & for those who participate to help out!

I have book-marked this & look forward to digging in more here as I make a few mods to my Para.

Dave~