1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 01-26-2007, 06:00 PM

1911 front and rear sight question ...

I have a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded SS .45acp, I want to change out the front and rear sights ( right now it has the 3 white dots ). I was looking at a TFO ( truglow ) or Dawson front sight , and for the rear sight I heard that plain black is better to pick up the front sight. How true is this ? I will primary use it for home defense and carry ( and competition shooting against friends ... hehe ).

If anyone has any opinions or recommendations please post them.

p.s.

Is it possible to just black out the dots on the rear sight and just install a new front sight ?
Old 01-26-2007, 09:17 PM

Yes, you can just cover the white dots. As for fiber optic front sights, I prefer the Dawson or any of the small dots, they tend to flare in bright light and I find that distracting. I prefer black on black.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 PM

I highly recommend the Dawson Precision optic front sight... especially the thin (.09 width) sights. Your Springer will only need to have a 1/16 roll pin punch to knock out the FS roll pin for replacement of the front sight - I found the DP replacement on my Springer needed some 271 Loctite to keep it securely in place. I tried the TruGlo's before and my eyes never found a liking to them, but other's experiences may be different.

A plain black rear is a great way to go, especially if you're considering using your Springer for competitive use. The thin width of the front sight will make it more pronounced. Dawson also sells an adjustable Novak-like sight for Springfields (Serrated rear, forward slant with traditional notch and no dots) for Springers with the Novak rear sight cut, but I found that a gunsmith will be needed to do some work at the top-most portion of the Novak cut on the slide to allow for the free movement of the forward hinge on the adjustable Dawson Novak. I would say you're better off using a flat matte black to cover the rear white dots.

Good luck...

edit: Should have said 1/16th as opposed to 5/16... yikes...

Last edited by jjey3; 01-29-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjey3
I highly recommend the Dawson Precision optic front sight... especially the thin (.09 width) sights. Your Springer will only need to have a 5/16 roll pin punch to knock out the FS roll pin for replacement of the front sight - I found the DP replacement on my Springer needed some 271 Loctite to keep it securely in place. I tried the TruGlo's before and my eyes never found a liking to them, but other's experiences may be different.

A plain black rear is a great way to go, especially if you're considering using your Springer for competitive use. The thin width of the front sight will make it more pronounced. Dawson also sells an adjustable Novak-like sight for Springfields (Serrated rear, forward slant with traditional notch and no dots) for Springers with the Novak rear sight cut, but I found that a gunsmith will be needed to do some work at the top-most portion of the Novak cut on the slide to allow for the free movement of the forward hinge on the adjustable Dawson Novak. I would say you're better off using a flat matte black to cover the rear white dots.

Good luck...
I went to Dawson's website but I can't find a front sight that is my size on my 1911.
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categ...ngfield+Armory

I e-mailed customer service @ Springfield and they replied that the front sight is cut ....

The front sight cut is .080 and the width is .125

Which dawson front sight would fit ?
Old 01-27-2007, 12:51 AM

On your Springfield Loaded, your front sight will fit with the Dawson Precision (Item No. 02-041) front fiber optic sight, which is .090 in width, and .160 tall, which is the set height for your Springfield fixed rear sight. I found my vertical POI with the standard Novak sight on my Springfield MC coupled with this identical sight was about 1" high out to 10 yards.

Some prefer the .125 standard width, but my aging eyes prefer the extra light that's provided with a thinner front sight post as seen through the rear notch. Sight acquisition with this thin sight and the red fiber optic is fast. YMMV. I believe you'll find (and the Dawson folks will also mention) the .140 tall (height) sights to be too short.

The DP folks are great to deal with, by the way.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:55 AM

And one other thing...

I forgot to mention that Brownells.com sells a Brownell's/Gun-Kote laquer in flat matte black that's great for covering up the white dots on the rear... even without baking the sights - the laquer still dries on very thin, but coverage is great. Less is better, in that sense.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:50 AM

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjey3
On your Springfield Loaded, your front sight will fit with the Dawson Precision (Item No. 02-041) front fiber optic sight, which is .090 in width, and .160 tall, which is the set height for your Springfield fixed rear sight. I found my vertical POI with the standard Novak sight on my Springfield MC coupled with this identical sight was about 1" high out to 10 yards.

Some prefer the .125 standard width, but my aging eyes prefer the extra light that's provided with a thinner front sight post as seen through the rear notch. Sight acquisition with this thin sight and the red fiber optic is fast. YMMV. I believe you'll find (and the Dawson folks will also mention) the .140 tall (height) sights to be too short.

The DP folks are great to deal with, by the way.
Thank you very much for replying to my thread by the way. I looked at that front sight on DP and the base seems to be longer and wider than my factory front sight, are you sure that it will fit ?

Also with item number 020-043, will this front night sight ( Trijicon ) fit on my Springer if I change my mind ?

Last edited by Tx1911; 01-27-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:45 PM

Yes, both the DP 02-041 FO front sight and the DP Night Sight 02-043 will fit in the forward cut in your slide -- the picture for the fiber optic .090 width sight does indeed look deceiving... but it'll fit. I know the 02-043 will fit as well since my neighbor two doors down has a Springer stainless Loaded and that's what he put on his front sight. He seems to like it... well, I haven't heard him complain about it, and he complains about everything, so it must be good.

edit - As a side note, I had the exact same concerns for my Kimber when choosing a front sight and wondering if the DP sight would fit or not... in the past when my sights arrived, I simply removed them from the packaging and did a press-fit and/or eyeball it side by side on the slide cut -- you'll know right away if you have a good match. I've been able to RMA returns with Dawson without any trouble at all -- and they're quick to respond for returns/refunds.

I see where you're going with looking at the DP Night Sight setup, since you were looking for using it for double duty, i.e. home defense and the occasional competitive shoot. That's not a bad choice at all, especially since the width is only .125 for the night sight... that's about as thin as they'll come for any night sight with a Trijicon tube inserted. And yes, it's a genuine Trijicon insert.

If in any doubt, or questions/concerns, I've found that speaking with Paul at Dawson Precision has been very helpful.

Good luck and good choosing... I hate decisions like that (they're both top choices in my opinion) -

Last edited by jjey3; 01-27-2007 at 04:54 PM.