1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Star's Megastar 10mm?

Hi.

I've been trying to find a [topic title] for some time. I've contacted a dealer who's been our county's outlet of Star.

So I called him up and asked a few questions and said I prefer the 10mm version above the .45ACP.
He claimed there was no megastar in 10mm.

I stood corrected at the time, thinking the website I got that info from was mistaking, but searched again, and everywhere that the megastar is mentioned, there is the same info: The pistol was made in 10mm and .45ACP. Numorous sources even claims it was even originally made for 10mm, and only just adapted for .45ACP.

So today I called him with this info and to my surprise, he's sticking to his guns (funny choise of words, eh?) refusing to accept that it was made in 10mm.

He says he's been to the factory in spain several times, and never seen anything that indicates a megastar in 10mm.

So, I'm turning to you guys to shed some light into this smaller enigma.

Also, if you're in a good mood, it'd be nice to get some comments on this pistol as I might have a chance to attain one in .45 ACP and would like some opinions.

I suppose I'm at the fence between desert eagle (either .357 or .44) and this one.

Thank you.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:12 PM

According to the 28th edition of the Gun Traders Guide, the Star Megastar was made between 1992 to 1997 in 10mm and 45acp. NIB both sell for $486 in a blued finish, in stainless it's $516. Hope this helps!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Don't worry about it. Maybe it's ego or something else, but whatever it is it just a sign he's not to smart and/or mature enough to admit he doesn't know everything.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Im in the 10mm market- a Delta elite is the plan. It will be easier to conceal (it probably wont be- when I get it the coyotes will suffer- ha!) than a Desert eagle will be. Also, you can swap the barrel and shoot .40 sw (and
.357 sig) which eases the wallet (the .357sig doesnt) which counts for a lot. I dont know if you can shoot .38 special or .44 special in a desert eagle, but I doute it. You probably know.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:30 PM

I have one in 10mm (but no way to post a picture) If you look on gunbroker you will find mags for both 10mm and 45acp listed. the 45`s are mostly aftermarket and $20 - $40. The 10mm are factory and run from $80 on up. The gun did not sell well and I think the importer Interarms also closed. The Star factory is now closed so parts will be hard to find.

Years ago I called a dealer about mags for a Rem 788 in 30-30 win. He told me they never made it in that caliber. When I insisted I had one he told me to look at the barrel markings again and slammed the phone down. Like the store I called it sounds like your dealer is not the Star expert you gave him credit for.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 PM

I've never really doubted that they were made in 10mm, but I think it's interesting that he remains convinced and wanted to make sure by asking you guys.

Big Lar,
a breif comment on your feelings regarding your megastar would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:08 PM

Its been a while since I shot it but I recall that "most" shots hit a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper at 25 yards, while my S&W 1086 and Kimber target II both grouped within 2". The gun is bulky and heavy. The only way I could justify one in .45 acp is as a oddity to have in a collection. I bought mine when my interest in 10mm started. I wanted a heavy duty Hi-cap and from what I read, it was at the top of the list. I also think you will always find a market for the 10mm if you tire of it, not so sure about the .45