1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 AM

1957 Commercial Colt.

I bought a 1957 Commercial Colt 1911 today. I'll have it in a few days. I want to know if I got taken on this deal. I got it for $800 shipped. It's been refinished, and looks basically new. Unsure if Colt's did the refinish or not, and I don't know how to find out. What should I do to check?
Thanks
Steve
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 AM
1911 Aficionado

Colt stamps factory refinished guns, but I don't know the nature of the markings; letters, numbers? I want to say it will be stamped on the trigger guard, but someone here will know.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Steve,

I would not worry about the price - it seems in line to me. Actually I go to the gun shows and are amazed that people ask so much $ for original petina guns that are in really rough shape. I perfer to have ones that are professionally refinished and looks like new - as long as the finish was properly done and not a bubba garage job. Saves me the time, $ and aggrevation of sending it out and having it done. Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

Enjoy and don't look back.

This thread is worthless without pictures!!!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:31 PM

I don't have it yet, but...

as soon as It comes to me, I'll post shots.
Thanks
Steve
Old 01-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

I owned a factory refinished 70 series that Colt stamped an X on the triggerguard area. They did a nice job.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 PM

I refused to take it today.

I'm really sad about this.
Total BS story.
This was a 1911 series 70 REPRO!!!
Not 1957 commercial, not 1957 ANYTHING.
I'll not go into the details any further, but I have contacted the seller, (who sounds like a nice guy who was lied to about the pistol's origin when he bought it) and I will be getting a full refund.
I guess the hunt continues.
Steve
Old 01-26-2007, 09:10 PM

Were it new, that would still be a good price for a Colt Series 70 repro...
Old 01-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Was the serial number never noticed in the pics when you bought it??? That is one the first things I look for.....
Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Administrator

I don't get it. Did you even see any pictures of it before you bought it? It should be easy to tell that it was a new Colt Series 70 and not a 1957 commercial, assuming the pics weren't postage-stamp sized in the ad to begin with. And who said it was refinished? The whole thing doesn't sound right.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 AM

Exactly.

The seller emailed me in response to my query about a nice condition pre-70 commercial colt.
The gun in the photos WAS a commercial colt, but the serial number not pictured, and I figured the worst case scenario, it was a nice Colt for $800.
So, I paid, and he shipped.
I open the box and it's a re-issue that had been damaged/scratched on the "idiot scratch " area and slide. This part had been re-blued by someone, but NOT Colt's.
Also, this was NOT the gun I got pics of in my email.
So, long story short, the pics were of a different gun altogether, and this seller couldn't tell the difference between them. I had to tell him what to look for over the phone.
Sounds like HE got taken pretty bad in a deal, and tried to sell it for a profit, and then I ALMOST got screwed into the same gun.
I guess I should drive to Hampton today and buy a Colt.
Steve
Old 01-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Bummer. Hope you get the money back as promised.