1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > LEO Duty

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:37 PM

Any Armored Car Drivers Here?

Hello, not sure where to put this post but think this forum would be best suited. If it is not I do apologize and do not mind if it gets moved somewhere else on the site.

After loosing my management position at the first of the year due to "corporate restructure" I have been job searching for decent employment that pays somewhat well. I live in a very small community and the job market is really suffering.

I have come accross an armored car company and applied as a guard / driver as well as for a position within the vault. It appears that I have passed the preliminary testing and am waiting to be contacted for a physical. My question is that are there any other armored services workers here? If so, how do you like the job? How long have you been steadily employed with the company? Do you feel that there is room to advance within your organization? Lastly, just for the sake of conversation, does your company allow you to carry a 1911? If so, are there any stipulations to the specifications or holster design?

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Have you inquired about the pay scale there? Here in Ct. the pay is low for what you do and responsible for, and the turn over is unbelievable! Im talking the major Co. too! One driver i talked to said the company pays overtime after 50 hrs, think thats against the law! Check into all the policies of the Co. before you join, Good Luck!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. The entry level starting wage is considerably more than what other jobs are in this area. After you are onboard for awhile the pay progresses. However, I did think that the entry level wages were a little low compared to the responsibilities and risks invloved.

As for the overtime, I have heard that it is paid after 40 hours. I have to agree, that paying overtime after 50 hours is against the law but I am not certain. The benefits package seems respectable with medical, dental, and a 401k.

Thanks for the reply, I am hoping to hear more from those out there performing the job.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 AM

Carry a gun, park were ever you like and beats working for a living .

NRA - Life Member
NRA - LE Instructor
Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 AM

All the armored car drivers I ever see still carry revolvers, probably .38s
Old 01-24-2007, 11:22 AM

I used to work for an armored car company. They let us carry any MAJOR brand name firearm. As was said the turnover is very high. In the year and a half I worked there we had about 70% turnover, mostly due to management(that's why I left). Good luck and watch your six.
Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!-Winston Churchill
Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45guyPA
Thanks for the reply. The entry level starting wage is considerably more than what other jobs are in this area. After you are onboard for awhile the pay progresses. However, I did think that the entry level wages were a little low compared to the responsibilities and risks invloved.

As for the overtime, I have heard that it is paid after 40 hours. I have to agree, that paying overtime after 50 hours is against the law but I am not certain. The benefits package seems respectable with medical, dental, and a 401k.

Thanks for the reply, I am hoping to hear more from those out there performing the job.
The armored car industry is a real racket. They CAN require you to take a polygraph. They WILL screw you on the overtime and can do so under Federal regulations.
Many ACC SOP's include the mandate that the driver leave the outside guard if trouble occurs. You will be carrying heavy loads, in both hands. Hard to get to the pistola doing that. It is hard, thankless, horrible paying work.
As to firearms, it really all depends on the company. Even in states with restictions on licensed security officers there is usually a provision for a waver.
There was a security officer gunned-down in the Tampa, fl. area just before I moved. He was walking to the truck with his hands full of money when a scumbag stepped out from behind a dumpster and shot him in the head. He left behind a wife and children.
Some companies have no problems with showing complete disdain for their officers. As has been wriiten by others on this thread, there is a very high turnover rate in the business. There are reasons for that. How tied down are you to your locale? You might want to consider moving to an area with a better economy before getting involved with the armored car industry.
In all my years in the security business, the armored car rip-off is one I've never gotten involved with and never will.
Good luck and be carfeul. Ray
Old 01-28-2007, 03:26 PM

These are some pretty interesting perspectives, thanks for the honesty. From what I have found out, the vault positions pay more. Maybe I should look to head in that direction.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
These are some pretty interesting perspectives, thanks for the honesty. From what I have found out, the vault positions pay more. Maybe I should look to head in that direction.
If the vault position is available, go for it! Good luck, Ray
Old 01-29-2007, 10:52 PM

I investigated a series of take down robberies here in Az about 2 yrs ago while I was in the Robbery Unit. During a search warrant, we discovered detailed plans to take down an armored car in a major mall area. They had followed the truck, noted it times and routes, etc.. JUST BE CAREFUL if thats your thing!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Changing routes and trying not to be in the same place at the same time everyday sounds like something that is already being taken into consideration when scheduling the routes for the drivers.

I was wondering why the turnover is so high? Would it be the risks invloved versus the starting wages? It sounds like the wages take a considerable jump after being with the company for a year. Your initial training year may not be the best of times but if you stick it out it sounds like the compensation is not too shabby.

Thanks for the reply 1911detective, you bring up a good point.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 PM

Just as an update, I am moving closer to employment with this company. All of the pre-employment screening has been completed, passed a driving test, etc. I may find out this week when I am able to start.

To answer my earlier question regarding carrying a 1911, this company does allow their representatives to carry any firearm single or double action as long as it is a .45 caliber or less. The 1911 would fall into this category. I am still undecided as to what sidearm I will carry.

From what I hear your sidearm takes quite a beating in armored services deployment. Knowing this I am a little leary to carry my Kimber Pro Carry, not that it wouldn't withstand the abuse but I am not sure how I would feel personaly about causing unsightly damage to such a perfect handgun.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Just as an update, I am moving closer to employment with this company. All of the pre-employment screening has been completed, passed a driving test, etc. I may find out this week when I am able to start.

To answer my earlier question regarding carrying a 1911, this company does allow their representatives to carry any firearm single or double action as long as it is a .45 caliber or less. The 1911 would fall into this category. I am still undecided as to what sidearm I will carry.

From what I hear your sidearm takes quite a beating in armored services deployment. Knowing this I am a little leary to carry my Kimber Pro Carry, not that it wouldn't withstand the abuse but I am not sure how I would feel personaly about causing unsightly damage to such a perfect handgun.
Most of the banging around on your pistol will be the grip(s). Get a pair of Simonich Gunner Grips. They are made out of very tough G10. If it were me in the same position I'd go with what I know. Be safe, Ray
Old 02-11-2007, 05:30 PM

I've worked for 2 major armored car companies in the past 7 yrs, first was Brinks. This company is a joke ridiculous rules, lousy pay, zero benfits and you're stuck with a model 64 S&W loaded with Speer 125 gr. Gold Dot +P's. Right before I left they were finally allowing body armor so I used the "payment" plan and they took X amount out of my check to pay for the armor. Just as soon as it was payed off I quit and went for a major regional AC service, much better pay, benefits and after your 30 days were up you could purchase a Glock .40 for LEO prices and carry it on duty after you qualify with it. I did an over the road run at night to a Fed reserve bank and was allowed to carry 2 Glocks and my own Mossy 590. Other than a junky truck(no seat belts) this was a sweet deal. I left for a even better paying loss prevention job at a local grocery chain, I was tired of driving for hours a day. If you decide to take this job get armor first and foremost, I doubt you'd be allowed to carry a 1911, just be proficient with what you can carry and carry plenty of ammo! BE AWARE at all times! Good luck!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:37 PM

Very interestin thread. I was wondering if you`d feel comfortable sharing your age range? I`ve just recently "considered" looking into this area of employment as well since the company I work for may be looking at downsizing in the future....and I`m not sure where that would leave me. I have NOT done any investigating, but was wondering if there were any minimum age requirements?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:12 PM

I worked for Wells Fargo from '90-'95. Can't really figure out why I stayed so long there because like mentioned above the place was a joke. Turnover rate was high and the pay low. We were required to carry S&W .38's and Mossberg 500's. Some of us would sneak in our own personnal weapons with our lunch boxes and swap out when we left the vault. Looking back I believe the reasons why I stayed so long was due to fact that I lived pretty close to the terminal and before too long I had seniority over everyone there. Which was nice.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:16 PM

armored car service

I know this is an old thread, but I'll give it a try anyway. I just took a job as a driver/guard for a NJ based armored car service. I retired from a PD last year and I find this line of work quite different. They inform me that they will not pay a time and a half rate for anything over forty hours - straight time only! Most days are over 8 hours. The person who interviewed me could not give a definate answer as to the why of this policy and the other employees did not know how they get around it either. I did learn from one person, beacuse the company is NJ based and they travel across state lines, they fall under an federal intestate commerce regulations and do not have to comply with state labor laws pertaining to over time. Anyone out there ever run into something like this? I find this hard to believe and I am in the process of doing some research on the subject. I would appraciate any help. By the way - since I was hired with a RLO permit, they let me carry my own weapon. Springfield Armory 1911 Operator. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsgt
I did learn from one person, beacuse the company is NJ based and they travel across state lines, they fall under an federal intestate commerce regulations and do not have to comply with state labor laws pertaining to over time. Anyone out there ever run into something like this? I find this hard to believe and I am in the process of doing some research on the subject. I would appraciate any help. By the way - since I was hired with a RLO permit, they let me carry my own weapon. Springfield Armory 1911 Operator. Thanks.
If I remember correctly, we didn't receive time-and-a-half either for overtime. More importantly, nice choice carrying the Operator.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:02 PM

armored car service

Do you know how they got around the over-time issue? I looked in federal DOT site and couldn't find anything. Same for NJ dept. labor.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsgt
Do you know how they got around the over-time issue? I looked in federal DOT site and couldn't find anything. Same for NJ dept. labor.
It would seem there is no AC driver union?? just guessing here.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 PM

armored car

I am informed by other employees it falls under some federal interstate law concerning trucking companies. I can't find anything and these people don't know much about the issue. I think it would be in their best interest to know as much as possible, but that's my opinion. I am also told that htere are AC companies who are unionized, but I haven't found them either. Probably the UAW or something along that line.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:35 PM

armored

I was thinking teamsters rather than UAW.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 AM

Bringing this one back from the dead rather then making an new thread about it. Have the conditions of employment improved? Unionized, overtime, benefits, etc?

I have just gotten out of the Corps and was lucky enough to land a Federal Law Enforcement job. Problem is FLETC isn't until Sept./Oct. so i need something in the meantime for the health benefits and so I don't have to support a family off my savings account. I applied for a position with Loomis Armored here in Northern VA and figured it was only going to be around 11/12 an hour. The HR lady emailed me and offered $15.00 an hour starting. I would just like to know if anyone knows anything further about the industry. It seemed pretty bleak 5 years ago when this thread was created, I'm just trying to see if any of the things I mentioned earlier have improved.

Last edited by sidewaysil80; 05-02-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM

Please don't resurrect old threads.

Fin
Closed Thread